16764Re: Tiny but prolific queen

  • mommyhen42
    Nov 2, 2012
      Actually, yes I do although some hate to see that nomenclature used. I have removed several nasty hives, and my first hive that had moved into my garden was likely highly africanized, yet in these hives I typically find "normal" sized queens.
      While africanization is possible and quite likely, this queen is producing a rather docile hive, as long as I smoke them before opening the hive they are always calm and gentle, if I forget however I am inundated with a rather large number of bees, yet they do not follow me very far, nor are usually more than one or two intent on trying to sting me thru my suit.
      I know africanized bees originally tended to be on the small side, they have crossed so much with our European bees that small size is not necessarily a factor in determining level of africanization.
      Our small cell bees from foundationless hives are just as often confused with African bees simply due to their small size.
      I am currently working on a difficult removal of a highly aggressive hive, that becomes incensed when exposed to smoke, which makes handling them even more difficult. I wouldn't be surprised if genetically these bees are highly africanized, if the genetic test were done, yet their queen was of normal size.
      So with that said, I don't think that small size is necessarily an indicator of level of africanization, but of course it is a possibility.

      --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Mike S <mws1112004@...> wrote:

      > You failed to mention your general area.� I am wondering if you might happen to live in an area inhabited by Africanized bees.
      >
      > Mike in LA

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic