16005Re: Newcomer's question about top bar hives

  • smilodon2000
    Feb 1, 2012
      I would hesitate to place your top bar hive in any position other than level. The bees build the combs vertically and an angle might foul up this instinct. I have two top bar hives and have had no problem with them overwintering but I live in the Puget Sound area and our winter temperatures average in the low 40s. The hives can be insulated. http://www.backyardhive.com/General/General/BackYardHive_Beekeeping_Shop/ will give you an idea what is available. It looks like it would be easy to do it yourself. You'll have to scroll down a ways to find the insulation. Have fun.

      --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, sidesaddle5@... wrote:

      > I'm new on the list, and have no bees yet--just looking at possibilities and working out how to set myself up come spring.
      >
      > I've been quite intrigued with the idea of a top bar hive, in that it would seem to be easier to manage (rather than having to lift off one or more heavy supers).  Also, that the bees supposedly don't get as defensive since the beekeeper is only lifting one or two frames at a time, rather than pulling off a super.  So far so good...
      >
      > However, I've also read that in cold areas such as New England (I'm in N.H.) the vertical Langstroth hive works better with the bees' natural tendency to move upward through the hive as they consume the supply of honey, which also works with the fact that the heat rises...
      >
      > So my question is this.  Has anyone ever tried building a top bar hive so that it's set at an angle--say 45 degrees?  It would seem as if that might give the best of both methods--allowing the easier access for me, but giving the bees their natural preference for working upwards rather than only horizontally.
      >
      > Thanks for any comments about this!
      >
      > Rhonda
      >

      > Sidesaddle Hall of Famer
      > Five-time US National Sidesaddle Champion
      > ASA Instructor
      > SSA A Instructor, Panel Judge (R)
      > ARIA Level III Instructor (ss, reining, riding to hounds)
      > Author: The Western Sidesaddle, Encyclopaedia of the Sidesaddle, Sidesaddle's Greatest Ideas
      >
      > American Sidesaddle Association
      > www.americansidesaddleassociation.org
      > The Side Saddle Source
      > www.sidesaddlesource.com
      >
      > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message (including all attachments) is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, copying or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic