15804Re: Advie on weak hime

  • Bill
    Jul 5, 2011
      Mike,

      It's so late in the season that only a nuc transfer would work, but it sounds like you've got a weak queen as well. That happens with packaged hives. It happened to me twice. I thought I was a failure until a friend gifted me with a wild colony and my fortunes have since reversed.

      It sounds like you need a new queen and a nuc transfer and even that may not do it. It's July my friend. This is when pollen sources begin to dry up. Best of luck to you.

      Bill

      --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Nick Holmes <wwwcight@...> wrote:

      > might like to look at why the hive is dwindling... varroa? disease?
      >
      > are they starving due to the 'june gap'? I had a starving hive right by a
      > healthy hive and they picked right up when I gave them light syrup (1lb
      > sugar to 1 pint water)
      >
      > was the queen fertilized when you requeened or a virgin?
      >
      > to boost numbers in the short term you could take a frame of capped brood
      > from the strong hive and put it in the weak hive. I would not swap a frame
      > from weak to the strong one though incase it is disease.
      >
      > You could take some bees on the frame too, if you icing sugared the bees
      > well on there first, to disguise the smell of the queen otherwise they will
      > fight when you put them in.
      >

      > On 4 July 2011 02:24, sherill lockwood <sherillynn@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Do you see any capped brood? Or eggs? If neither are present, you can do
      > > one of three things.
      > > 1- You can order a new queen
      > > 2- You can take a frame of eggs and larvae from your strongest hive and let
      > > them make their own queen. This will take a while and if the hive is already
      > > dwindling, and potentially they will die out before there is brood hatching
      > > 3- You can add the bees that you have in the weak hive to one of your other
      > > hives using the newspaper method. This will at least make use of them and
      > > not waste them.
      > >
      > > Hope this helps.
      > > Sherill

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic