15546Re: First Winter

  • Kamil
    Feb 2, 2011
      Hi again,
      I had to catch a bus so I wrote my previous mail quickly. Now I am at the office, I can write in more detail.
      The number of dead bees in your hives after a cold winter is probably much higher than what the living ones can cope with during their normal housekeeping. Besides, if it is still cold, they will not leave their cluster.
      During Norwegian winters, we expect that about half or more of the bees die. Here is what we do first thing in the spring (about March):
      -Choose one sunny day without much wind to visit your apiary. Wait until the sun is high.
      -Take along one clean and desinfected hive-bottom, your scrape, a big cardboard box and a propane flaming apparatus with you.
      -Place the clean bottom besides the first hive and move the hive over.
      You will see a heap of dead bees on the old (dirty) hive.
      -Scrape these off the bottom to the cardboard box. Use your scrape to clean the bottom as much as you can.
      -Flame it in order to desinfect. Some virii are very resistant so do not spare the flame. It is OK if some of the board gets brown.
      -Move the hive back to its original position.
      -Use the flamed bottom to repeat the same procedure with the next hive.
      -When you are done with all the hives, take the (now full) cardboard box back home and burn it. It will smell horribly but it is necessary in order to avoid spread of disease.

      Kamil

      --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "Kamil" <kamildursun@...> wrote:

      > Hi Stoneridge,
      > The bees you see are probably the ones that are early out to empty themselves. If they fall on the snow, especially if there are deep footprints there, they cannot get up and freeze to death.
      > You can have some jute sacks in front of the hives so they can land on something warmer.
      > Mine did not start yet.
      > Good luck
      > Kamil
      >
      > --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Alan Fox <alan_foxy2000@> wrote:
      > >
      > >           it was only the other day we had an e-mail I think it was from someone
      > > in Norway and the made their hives with  25mm insulation sandwhiched between
      > > pieces of ply and they had open mesh all through winter. Alan

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic