15545Re: First Winter

  • Kamil
    Feb 2, 2011
      Hi Stoneridge,
      The bees you see are probably the ones that are early out to empty themselves. If they fall on the snow, especially if there are deep footprints there, they cannot get up and freeze to death.
      You can have some jute sacks in front of the hives so they can land on something warmer.
      Mine did not start yet.
      Good luck
      Kamil

      --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Alan Fox <alan_foxy2000@...> wrote:

      >           it was only the other day we had an e-mail I think it was from someone
      > in Norway and the made their hives with  25mm insulation sandwhiched between
      > pieces of ply and they had open mesh all through winter. Alan

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic