15029Re: [Beekeeping] Bees "hangin' around"

  • Bill
    Jul 1, 2010

      --- On Thu, 7/1/10, Dale Tongue <dale.tongue@...> wrote:

      From: Dale Tongue <dale.tongue@...>
      Subject: Re: [Beekeeping] Bees "hangin' around"
      To: Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, July 1, 2010, 10:24 PM

      I've had that too, and believe they are just warm.  I also added a Western super because this is/was a package colony and they are now getting to where they need to expand a little.  I've been thinking about cracking the top lid a little to let natural convection work at cooling the girls down.  Any comments?
      Dale

      In fact, I have been wondering about air flow myself. I have one of those tops with a "race-track" shaped hole to let air rise. But I also have a top cover that fits over it. OK - so the air will rise through the hole of the inner cover, but where can the air go from there? The top cover seems pretty tight for air to get out.

      Bill

      On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 12:46 PM, Bill <emailreqd@yahoo. com> wrote:

      I've noticed many bees just sitting on the front of the hive (hmm..can we call it sitting if they are on a vertical surface?) They cover about one-third of the front of the bottom 9" tall brood box. Couple of days there were some bees fanning, as it late on a hot afternoon, but the rest were just "hanging out" on the landing pad and the front surface of the hive.

      Also, I have a pan of water about a foot from the hive. It has some stones, pieces of wood, and a couple of floating popsicle sticks so the bees have somewhere to land. I never see any bees getting water. I really hope they are not all congregating at the neighbor's pool three doors down, because it is not legal to have bees where I live.