15Re: Splitting Hives

  • AlphaBat@xxx.xxx
    May 4 6:12 AM
      My wife and I used to go to Stratford every year when we lived in Cleveland,
      Ohio.
      I live in CT now.
      I used to love Perth County. So green!

      Yes you have to make sure you know which hive the queen is in when you split
      the hive.
      Presumably your queens will come in a queen cage with a candy plug. You
      suspend it in the hive with the candy plug upward (not downward) and by the
      time the bees eat through it they will be used to the new queen and not kill
      her. If they don't come that way you need to construct a cage. Plastic ones
      are available from most of the bee supply houses. Dadant. Brushy Mountain.
      Mann Lake. Betterbee etc.

      Hard to advise on whether to make a third hive from combining brood from the
      two existing vs. just one. My guess without knowing the hives and
      characteristics is that it would be better (more productive) to let one hive
      stay full force while you nurture two along for this year. The rule of thumb
      is that 60000 bees in one hive will produce a lot more honey than 30000 bees
      in each of two hives. If both hives are really strong though, you could take
      one or two frames from the other hive to put less stress on the one you are
      splitting.

      Good luck.

      Let me know how it turns out.

      Bruce