13894Re: Top feeder issues

  • mlcales
    Jul 1, 2009
      They still had plenty of room in the brood box, so they were staying busy down there. I was also re-filling it every day, or every other, so I would have been able to remove any stray comb if they had started. Keep in mind, I am keeping my bees as naturally as possible, and am only feeding them when there isn't any nectar to be had. Once the nectar flow starts (and it finally has here in the mountains in Southern California), the feeder is taken away, it's not a permanent part of the hive.

      --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Epstein" <stephen@...> wrote:

      > With all that extra space from the super, do they start building comb on
      > the jar and walls?
      >
      > Stephen Epstein
      >
      > www.anotherdooropens.com
      >
      > > No, when you turn the jar over, very little should come out. If it drips,
      > > the holes are too big. Also, poke the holes from the outside of the lid
      > > toward the inside, so it dimples inward. That, combined with the seal
      > > formed when you turn it over, keeps it from pouring out, and the bees can
      > > get their tiny tongue in the holes to feed. I was pleasantly surprised by
      > > how well it worked.
      > >
      > > --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Epstein" <stephen@> wrote:
      > >>
      > >> Does the water drip out?

      > >> (that's