10423Re: [Beekeeping] Re: winter heater

  • Mike
    Nov 2 7:23 AM
      I agree.  Bees do a good job of self-regulation of the temperature whether they are in my bee hive or in a local tree.  Their bigger problem is moisture.  I've kept hives in Colorado (cold) and here in Washington state (cold and moist) and they winter over just fine, left to their own attempts at heat regulation.

      Mike in WA

      On 11/1/07, Mike Stoops <mws1112004@...> wrote:

      pgmrdan <pgmrdan@...> wrote:

      In discussions with some beekeepers located in central Iowa ......

      I'm new at this but I would be more concerned about having ample
      stores of honey so the bees can regulate the temperature and making
      sure there's adequate ventilation to remove condensation in the hive.

      If a light bulb got the hive a bit too warm might the bees leave the
      hive and freeze outside?

           From all that I have heard in past discussions, you will have far better luck letting the bees control their own hive temperatures.  Just make sure that you have plenty of food stores above the winter cluster and that there is good ventilation to carry away the excess moisture.  When I had bees just north of Indianapolis I would run the hives in double hive bodies, 3/4 opening in the front, and 1/4 inch blocks between the inner and outer covers to provide good ventilation.  They were exposed to a direct west wind across a disked corn field.  Not the most extreme temperatures or conditions, but definately cold.  Never lost a hive.  I did make sure they have plenty of stores in the two hive bodies with a lot of it above the cluster.

      Mike in LA  (Lower Alabama)  The bees could stand the cold winters,  I couldn't.

      Do You Yahoo!?