Re: [Beckers_nevus] Re: New laser looks very promising

  • Susan Bourg
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 5, 2008
      Just curious.  Does your insurance cover this treatment and how much are the treatments?
      susan Bourg

      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 19, 2008
        I don't think insurance will cover these treatments since it is considered "cosmetic". Unless a doctor diagnoses it as health issue it probably will come out of your own pocket. I'm getting a fraxel treatment done next month and will let everyone know how it turns out.

        <marketbuy2002@ ...> wrote:

        > Thank you for sharing your information with us.
        >
        > I forwarded the articles that you attached to my doctor at Beckman
        > Laser Institute at University of California, Irvine. He was
        > pleasantly surprised to read that the Fraxel laser could work on BN.
        > I have volunteered myself for medical research.... .
        >
        > I have an appointment with my doctor at 2:30pm today to perform two
        > test spots on my chest using two different lasers (Fraxel and Pro
        > Fractional devices). Although it would take series of treatments to
        > remove the BN, I will report back to this group and advise.
        >
        > thttp://www. bli.uci.edu/ profiles/ profile.php? id=jsnelson
        >
        > Thanks
        > Henry
        >
        > --- In Beckers_nevus@ yahoogroups. com, "deck34993" <deck34993@> wrote:
        > >
        > > The fraxel re:pair didn't have fda clearance for pigment removal when
        > > it first came out. Later on down the road it aquired clearance for
        > > pigment removal. Read the article I posted-they specifically used it
        > > on beckers nevus and it worked. It probably has to be used on
        > > different settings for pigment removal. Im guessing there are only a
        > > handful of doctors who have experience using the re:pair to remove
        > > pigment. From what I have read the laser wasn't designed for beckers
        > > nevus it just so happens it works for it, thats probably why they
        > > told you what they did, or maybe they couldn't say it could be used
        > > to remove pigment untill it got fda approval for it.
        > > Heres another link to the article
        > >
        > > http://home. primus.ca/ ~skrausz/ beckers3. pdf.
        > >

        > > --- In Beckers_nevus@ yahoogroups. com, "marketbuy2002"
        > > <marketbuy2002@ > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I had inquired about this laser directly with the company that
        > > > produces the Fraxel laser about 2 years ago. I was told that this
        > > > laser is not meant for BN.
        > > >
        > > > However, don't let me discourage you from trying. Let us know if it
        > > > works for you.....
        > > >
        > > > Good luck!
        > > >
        > > > --- In Beckers_nevus@ yahoogroups. com, "deck34993" <deck34993@>

        > > Technologies and
        > > without
        > > penetrate
        > > are
        > > fraxel
        > > use. A
        > > Nevus"

        > > it. Its

        > > re:pair
        > > used,

      • marketbuy2002
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 20, 2008
          Susan;
          Since I"m volunteering my time for research, my doctor charged me
          only $25 for his service. The university charged me $50 for a 5
          minute session.

          My doctor was MORE interested in knowing whether the Pro Fractional
          laser will work on BN. I guess his "research" is riding on the
          outcome of this laser treatment.

          If you have a small child with BN, the university has a "grant" that
          offers free laser treatment to adolescents.

          If and when this laser treatment works on BN, then I"m sure the cost
          to treat my BN will go up exponentially. This will not be cover by
          my insurance.

          I have a follow up appointment next week with my doctor since it's
          been almost one month from the time I had my last laser treatment. I
          will have to postpone my 2nd treatment till after July 4th holiday.
          I'm planning on going camping and will probably be exposed to the sun
          once I remove my shirt....

          -- In Beckers_nevus@yahoogroups.com, Susan Bourg <bourgsusan@...> wrote:

          > Just curious.  Does your insurance cover this treatment and how
          much are the treatments?
          > susan Bourg

        • NKC
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 29, 2008
            Hello,

            I also went to UCI Laser Medical for a consultation about 16 months ago for the doctor to tell me that nothing worked as of that moment and to check back in 2 years.  Just a 5 minute consultation cost me $100 with insurance.

            How is the first tratment working for you? Any difference?

            If this fraxel works for you I would be interested in going back for treatments - it would be great to be a research candidate as I think fraxel will be very expensive as my BN is about 3 x 2 in.

            Who was the docior who treated you? I really need to talk to a specialist because most Derm's don't seem to know much about BN at all.

            Thanks,
            Ken

            Since I"m volunteering my time for research, my doctor charged me
            only $25 for his service. The university charged me $50 for a 5
            minute session.

            My doctor was MORE interested in knowing whether the Pro Fractional
            laser will work on BN. I guess his "research" is riding on the
            outcome of this laser treatment.

            If you have a small child with BN, the university has a "grant" that
            offers free laser treatment to adolescents.

            If and when this laser treatment works on BN, then I"m sure the cost
            to treat my BN will go up exponentially. This will not be cover by
            my insurance.

            I have a follow up appointment next week with my doctor since it's
            been almost one month from the time I had my last laser treatment. I
            will have to postpone my 2nd treatment till after July 4th holiday.
            I'm planning on going camping and will probably be exposed to the sun
            once I remove my shirt....

            -- In Beckers_nevus@ yahoogroups. com, Susan Bourg <bourgsusan@ ...> wrote:

            > Just curious.&nbsp; Does your insurance cover this treatment and how
            much are the treatments?
            > susan Bourg

            Let us know if it

            > &gt; &gt; &gt; works for you.....
            >
            > &gt; &gt; &gt;
            >
            > &gt; &gt; &gt; Good luck!
            >
            > &gt; &gt; &gt;
            >
            > &gt; &gt; &gt; --- In Beckers_nevus@ yahoogroups. com, "deck34993"
            &lt;deck34993@ &gt;

            > &gt; &gt; wrote:
            >
            > &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;
            >
            > &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; A new laser has been invented. It is made by
            Reliant

            > &gt; &gt; Technologies and
            >
            > &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; basically has the effect of an erbium yag
            laser(ablative laser)

            > &gt; &gt; without
            >
            > &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; the negative side effects. It uses fractional
            resurfacing to

            > &gt; &gt; penetrate
            >
            > &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; deep into the skin. Alot deeper than q switch
            ruby and yag lasers

            > &gt; &gt; are
            >
            > &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; able to go. It is called the Fraxel re:pair
            laser. Google

            > &gt; &gt; fraxel
            >
            > &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; re:pair and check it out. It was just recently
            approved for

            > &gt; &gt; use. A
            >
            > &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; study was done using this type of laser on
            becker's nevus and the

            > &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; results were very good. The article is titled
            >
            > &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; "Fractional Resurfasing: A New Theraputic
            Modality for Becker's

            > &gt; &gt; Nevus"
            >
            > &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;
            >
            > &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Here is a link to the article.
            >
            > &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; http://home. primus.ca/ ~skrausz/ beckers3. pdf
            >
            > &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;
            >
            > &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; If the link doesnt work just google the title
            and try to find

            > &gt; &gt; it. Its
            >
            > &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; a new article so it might be hard to find and
            you might have to

            > &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; purchase it from the archives of dermatology
            website.

            > &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;
            >
            > &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Note- Another new laser by Reliant came out
            before the fraxel

            > &gt; &gt; re:pair
            >
            > &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; called the fraxel:restore. Im not sure which
            laser the study

            > &gt; &gt; used,
            >
            > &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; however I believe the newer fraxel re:pair will
            work the best.

            > &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;
            >
            > &gt; &gt; &gt;
            >
            > &gt; &gt;
            >
            > &gt;

          • deck34993
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 1 1:36 AM
              Ok so as of right now two people are trying the new fractional
              resurfacing technique (although Henry isn't having it done with a
              Fraxel laser) It will be helpful if you two (and anyone else who
              receieves treatment in the future) could tell us exactly what laser and
              what settings the doctor uses. According to the article:

              "Fractional resurfacing is
              a promising new treatment modality for Becker's nevus.
              No adverse effects were observed, and the safety profile
              appears to be fairly broad. Additional controlled studies
              are warranted to better understand the efficacy of fractional
              resurfacing for the treatment of Becker's nevus and
              to determine optimal treatment settings."

              Reporting the settings used will help determine optimal treatment
              settings. In the article there is a table of the settings the doctors
              used in the study. I would reccomend showing it to your doctor.

              Here is another link to the article-
              http://home.primus.ca/~skrausz/beckers3.pdf
            • godblessvee
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 2 6:57 AM
                Yes, will really appreciate that anyone trying any treatment would
                kindly keep this group updated. As we all are hoping for a successful
                cure. Thanks Guys..

                God bless us all.

                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 4 7:16 AM
                  My doctor's name is Dr. Stuart Nelson. He is the medical director. You can google him
                  under Beckman Laser Institute at UCI.

                  I've been following up with Dr. Nelson for the past 7 years or so. If you were to go back
                  to the clinic, ask for free consultation when making an appointment.

                  --- In Beckers_nevus@yahoogroups.com, NKC <norekc_1999@...> wrote:

                  > Hello,
                  >
                  > I also went to UCI Laser Medical for a consultation about 16 months ago for the doctor
                  to tell me that nothing worked as of that moment and to check back in 2 years. Just a 5
                  minute consultation cost me $100 with insurance.

                  > How is the first tratment working for you? Any difference?
                  >
                  > If this fraxel works for you I would be interested in going back for treatments - it would
                  be great to be a research candidate as I think fraxel will be very expensive as my BN is
                  about 3 x 2 in.

                  > Who was the docior who treated you? I really need to talk to a specialist because most
                  Derm's don't seem to know much about BN at all.

                  > Thanks,
                  > Ken

                • IMDTexas *
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 4 10:50 AM
                    Hey,

                    I sent an email to his office via the website to ask if he could direct me to someone here in the Dallas, Texas area but I never heard back.  Could you find out from his office for me?

                    Thanks,

                    Daniel

                    My doctor's name is Dr. Stuart Nelson. He is the medical director. You can google him
                    under Beckman Laser Institute at UCI.

                    I've been following up with Dr. Nelson for the past 7 years or so. If you were to go back
                    to the clinic, ask for free consultation when making an appointment.

                    --- In Beckers_nevus@ yahoogroups. com, NKC <norekc_1999@ ...> wrote:

                    > Hello,
                    >
                    > I also went to UCI Laser Medical for a consultation about 16 months ago for the doctor
                    to tell me that nothing worked as of that moment and to check back in 2 years. Just a 5
                    minute consultation cost me $100 with insurance.

                    > How is the first tratment working for you? Any difference?
                    >
                    > If this fraxel works for you I would be interested in going back for treatments - it would
                    be great to be a research candidate as I think fraxel will be very expensive as my BN is
                    about 3 x 2 in.

                    > Who was the docior who treated you? I really need to talk to a specialist because most
                    Derm's don't seem to know much about BN at all.

                    > Thanks,
                    > Ken

                  • Henry Van
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 9 4:33 PM
                      Well, I"m not sure why you sent an e-mail directly to him since he wouldn't have any idea of known doctors in Dallas, Texas.  Perhaps that's the reason why he hasn't replied back.

                      You are better off reading that case study that was conducted from those doctors at University of Houston.

                      I sent an email to his office via the website to ask if he could direct me to someone here in the Dallas, Texas area but I never heard back.  Could you find out from his office for me?

                      Thanks,

                      Daniel

                      My doctor's name is Dr. Stuart Nelson. He is the medical director. You can google him
                      under Beckman Laser Institute at UCI.

                      I've been following up with Dr. Nelson for the past 7 years or so. If you were to go back
                      to the clinic, ask for free consultation when making an appointment.

                      --- In Beckers_nevus@ yahoogroups. com, NKC <norekc_1999@ ...> wrote:

                      > Hello,
                      >
                      > I also went to UCI Laser Medical for a consultation about 16 months ago for the doctor
                      to tell me that nothing worked as of that moment and to check back in 2 years. Just a 5
                      minute consultation cost me $100 with insurance.

                      > How is the first tratment working for you? Any difference?
                      >
                      > If this fraxel works for you I would be interested in going back for treatments - it would
                      be great to be a research candidate as I think fraxel will be very expensive as my BN is
                      about 3 x 2 in.

                      > Who was the docior who treated you? I really need to talk to a specialist because most
                      Derm's don't seem to know much about BN at all.

                      > Thanks,
                      > Ken

                    • IMDTexas *
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 9 5:00 PM
                        I will look into UH study.  I sent an email to him thinking since this a new thing that everyone involved would share information.