BN & young girls

  • keileymead
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 5, 2004
      My 3 year old daughter was diagnosed with BN 12 months ago. It first
      appeared when she was about 6 months old, with a small patch of what
      looked like "dirty skin" on her lower left arm. Over the next 12
      months it has spread up her arm (in patches) and across the left
      side of her upper torso (with a small patch on her upper back. For
      the last 18 months it doesn't appear to have spread much more.

      The skin discolouration is mild, and on first glance you can hardly
      see it. Despite our efforts to keep her out of the sun (and covered
      in sunblock if it is unavoidable (as if often the case in the
      Australian Summer) the colouring does become more noticable as she
      tans.

      Our dermatologist told me not to be concerned or look on the web as
      it might "freak me out". He has recommended we do nothing and "wait
      and see" how the laser technology advances over time - and hopefully
      by the time she reaches puberty a magic cure will be out there.

      Most websites post it as a skin condition mainly affected males in
      puberty and I haven't been able to find much that talks about cases
      for girls, and particularly ones that start so early. If any of the
      female members of the groups could post their experience
      (particularly if BN appeared as an infant) I would appreciate it.

      I know that kids can be cruel, and am concerned how this will affect
      her self-esteem as she gets older. I'm keen to learn about all
      treatment options so when the time comes to explore them for our
      daughter we are fully informed.

      Thanks - and I look forward to reading the various posts.. Great to
      know for such a "rare" condition, there are so many people
      experiencing it together.
    • Jewel Anderson
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 7, 2004
        Hello! I am a 19 year old woman who has beckers nevus. I can relate with you about the information on the web, there is none. Yes, it does seem only men get this skin condition and a very, very small percentage of women get it.

        When I was 11, I started to notice dirty patches of skin on my arms and across my stomach. My mother thought the worse and took me into the doctor. He said it was nothing serious, but that they would darken over time. He explained it as a pigmentation problem. Only recently have I explored what my skin pigmentation really is. After going to the doctors again and getting a skin biopsy did they know for sure what my "spots" were. And I also fit most of the criteria - dark patches and starting in puberty. Also, the very fine hairs on my stomach and arms have become dark as well. The dark hairs are not noticable.

        During my Junior High and High School, and even College, experiences people still ask me, whats that on your arm? To them it looks like a bruise, and they jokingly ask if I have been in a fight. I brush it off and explain its rare skin pigmentation.

        keileymead <meads@...> wrote:

[...]

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • doublemint729
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 8, 2005
          I'm new to this whole thing, but I just got back from the
          dermatologist. who told me that the brown spot on my arm is Becker's
          Nevus. After reading through many websites (most of which I couldn't
          understand due to the latin pharses used in the medical field) I'm
          beginning to believe that I'm one of the "rare" cases of Becker's
          Nevus in females. I believe that the spot developed around two years
          ago when I was 14 or 15. What makes my arm look even more unsightly is
          the fact that I have severe dry sky (which shows up in the form of
          little bumps). I've never had anyone comment on the brown spots, but I
          know that it is noticable. I haven't noticed the spot get darker with
          a tan, although I'm sure that it happens and I haven't noticed. It's
          practically impossible for me to not be in the sun, especially since
          I'm in Cross Country. One thing I have noticed however, is the
          darkening and thickening of the hair around the brown spot. I wanted
          to ask anyone, is there a way to control this? Does a hair bleach
          work? Or is shaving a better option? Or is a depilatory a better
          option? Thanks to anyone who has any information!!

          VF
        • Jewel Anderson
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 10, 2005
            I feel your experience with BN, I to am a
            "rare-female" case. Yes, they do get darker with sun
            exposure, but I have found that the sunblock-sticks
            work well for just getting the dark brown patches, if
            you want to try for an even tan, or just the whole sun
            exposure thing. As for the hair, I don't really know.
            I do not have any dark hairs on my spots. Bleach would
            probably help, but again I don't really know. Good
            luck.

            --- doublemint729 <valeria@...> wrote:

            > I'm new to this whole thing, but I just got back
            > from the
            > dermatologist. who told me that the brown spot on my
            > arm is Becker's
            > Nevus. After reading through many websites (most of
            > which I couldn't
            > understand due to the latin pharses used in the
            > medical field) I'm
            > beginning to believe that I'm one of the "rare"
            > cases of Becker's
            > Nevus in females. I believe that the spot developed
            > around two years
            > ago when I was 14 or 15. What makes my arm look even
            > more unsightly is
            > the fact that I have severe dry sky (which shows up
            > in the form of
            > little bumps). I've never had anyone comment on the
            > brown spots, but I
            > know that it is noticable. I haven't noticed the
            > spot get darker with
            > a tan, although I'm sure that it happens and I
            > haven't noticed. It's
            > practically impossible for me to not be in the sun,
            > especially since
            > I'm in Cross Country. One thing I have noticed
            > however, is the
            > darkening and thickening of the hair around the
            > brown spot. I wanted
            > to ask anyone, is there a way to control this? Does
            > a hair bleach
            > work? Or is shaving a better option? Or is a
            > depilatory a better
            > option? Thanks to anyone who has any information!!
            >
            > VF

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • marketbuy2002
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 25, 2005
              <<One thing I have noticed however, is the
              darkening and thickening of the hair around the brown spot. I wanted
              to ask anyone, is there a way to control this? Does a hair bleach
              work? Or is shaving a better option? Or is a depilatory a better
              option?>>

              I have BN on my left chest. For the past 3 years or so, I've gone
              to the electrologist to have my hair removed. I go regularly each
              month for 15 minute session. I'm not hairy at all. Just
              little 'peach fuzz" on my left chest. The hairs do grow back
              thinner. Eventually, the hair will disappear. I haven't seen the
              Electrologist for the past 3-4 months. I will need to make an
              appointment this week. I believe I have 2-3 more sessions to go
              before my hair is completely gone foreever....

              Henry

              --- In Beckers_nevus@yahoogroups.com, "doublemint729" <valeria@e...>