New SNP Study?

  • pabloburns@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2008
         One of my Leinster Cluster members (31911) informed me that he is participating in a SNP project being conducted by Washington State University to further divide R1b. See http://www.wsu.edu/~bmkemp/R1b_Project.html  Is anyone familiar with this?
         This member already has been SNP tested by FTDNA to be R1b1b2, though WS may not know this since it is using Ysearch to seek candidates, and Ysearch lists everyone enters a haplogroup as "tested.".
         If they succeed in finding a Leinster SNP, that would certainly be great.
      Paul
    • Anthony Byrne
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 3, 2008
        Paul,

        I will write to to them and see what if they are interested.
        Anthony

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 3, 2008
          That's interesting, Paul.

          "Volunteers for the R1b YSNP Project are being recruited in early Fall 2008 through the public genetic-genealogy database www.YSearch.org. "

          I looked at Ysearch and saw nothing about volunteering for this project.  Are they combing through the database and picking the ones they want?  I don't suppose this would have much relevance for the M222+ R1b1c7 crowd since we already have an SNP.

            To me you'd have to be a little nuts to fork over $1,000 or more for a DNA test.  But if money was no object....

            There was an interesting show on the Neadertals last week.  The show interviewed a guy who developed some new technology to do DNA testing.  I didn't get it all but it looked like he somehow managed to digitize the DNA results into a binary format that could be analyzed by computer.  I think that's the DNA on a chip we've been hearing about used by DeCodeme and some other outfits.  Part of the DeCodeme schtick seems fairly flaky.  They're also trying to link genetics to certain traits or susceptibilities to disease, some of which are poorly documented or nothing more than experimental at this point.  If they're accidentally finding new SNPs in the process than more power to them!

          John

          John

          New MapQuest Local shows what's happening at your destination. Dining, Movies, Events, News & more. Try it out!