Spears DYS464X results

  • dnalister@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2010
      The DYS464X test results for Mark Spears have been posted. Mark has 37 marker result and some of the same deviations from our group modal haplotype that the Beatty family has, namely, DYS449=29 to match the R-L21 modal haplotype instead of our Leinster modal haplotype and low CDY values for our group. Otherwise, he matches our modal haplotype perfectly on the key markers. So it should not be a surprise that Mark is ccgg. I have placed him in the BeatyByrneMcLaughlin subgroup of the project.

      Mark has a low value on DYS576 which keeps him from being extremely close to any of our project members, so I do think that he probably is from a continuous Spears line rather than from any a family that has been affected by any sort of non-paternity event involving one of our other families. The ccgg results confirming that Mark is a member of the cluster are not unexpected, but that confirmation along with his somewhat distinctive STR results do remind us that the recent speculation about the origin of his surname may provide some interesting clues for us. Maybe the source linking the word for "spears" to the word for Laigin really is telling us how Mark's family acquired its surname.

      I noticed another very interesting thing about Mark's results yesterday. He has a 37 marker match at a GD of 3 with a man with a name that sounds very Scandinavian to me. I'm not talking about the last name alone, but the full name. I suspect that this match is no American who might have an American NPE in his line resulting in an Irish line carrying a Scandinavian name, but a real live Scandinavian. I haven't seen his haplotype yet, but I hope to find out more about this match.

      Mark ordered L159.2 testing at the same time that he ordered DYS464X testing. Since I think his connection to most other cluster members is quite likely to be a relatively old one, I won't try to predict his result for the L159.2 test. Whatever it is, it should be telling us something.

      Cheers,
      Kirsten