RE: [Beatty_Byrnes_DNA] New file uploaded to Beatty_Byrnes_DNA

  • Earl Beaty
    Message 1 of 50 , Jan 1, 2010

      I can offer a little better explanation of the data situation. Our project data is available at:

      http://www.familytreedna.com/public/DYS464x ccgg/ This is a fully public file so the information is heavily restricted for privacy reasons. Administrators have long had access to a somewhat more complete table. The main addition to the Administrator’s version is the inclusion of the full names of testees. Several times I have taken the Administrator’s version, added a little information from other sources, reformatted and posted it to our Group file section. This Excel file contained data on ALL the men in our Project. While I consult this modified file often, I could see no evidence that others were much interested. So I haven’t updated often.

      Two of three months ago FTDNA launched their program called Dashboard. This is a tool for Administrators which contains a huge amount of data. Some of it is uninteresting, and some is too private for public viewing, but it includes additional valuable information, such as full SNP results, Advanced results, Ysearch ID. The Dashboard is full of good information but the program is slow (at least with my Internet connection) and complicated. When it was launched the old data displays were removed and that produced a howl from Administrators. Many found it too difficult to use, and didn’t want to spend a lot of time learning a new system. So FTDNA put back the old versions and added a compromise. Now we have 4 versions available.

      One of the valuable pieces of data in the Dashboard is the Ysearch IDs. This provides a relation between kit # at FTDNA and Ysearch ID, something which wasn’t available before. Pete Beatty wrote some code to transfer data from the Dashboard file to a Ysearch download which I did. My download was designed to capture a large fraction of the BBC at Ysearch. Pete’s program obviously only worked on records in my file. Several of the members of our Project are not in Ysearch and therefore can’t be included. Also some men such as Jim Long, weren’t in the Ysearch download for other reasons. This file is not a substitute for the Project data file. I find it very useful for examining some aspects of the data.

      Either of these files could be updated when new data arrives, and we are considering whether it is worth the effort.

      --Earl

      Message 50 of 50 , May 25, 2012
        Hello,

        a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the Beatty_Byrnes_DNA
        group.

        File : /Murphy2.xlsx
        Uploaded by : johnmmurphy <jmmurphy@...>
        Description : Murphy YDNA mutation charts

        You can access this file at the URL:

        Regards,

        johnmmurphy <jmmurphy@...>