Please explain this 'reefing system'

  • ericreams65
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 2, 2010
      Ok, so I've read that my 220 should've come from the factory with a 'jiffy reefing' system. What is it and where do I look for it.
      Of course, there's a pretty good chance the main has been changed
      so if I know what I'm looking for, that'll help. Can anybody look
      at the latest pic I posted (hint, hint Phil) and tell me if that
      main looks like the original just from the pic? Have a great 4th of
      July everybody and happy sailing.
    • Mike
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 2, 2010
        just though I would like to let everyone know that they should check their tamks for water and keep them clean had to have mine cleaned. It does not sound like much but the bottom had to be replaced. That means draining the tank getting rid of all the fuel and that hurts when the cost of fuel is so high and the work to remove the tank and the cost to repair of it. The cost to me was only $300 plus fuel. WOW Oh and a broken rib when I sliped and landed on the bulkhead. Good Sailing

        Mike
      • crunkinator@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 2, 2010
          The heck with the rib, they grow back. Tanks don't. Sorry to hear about the tank problems

          Sent from my BlackBerry® on the MetroPCS Network

          From: "Mike" <mikedixon1@...>
          Sender: BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 21:05:39 -0000
          To: <BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: [BaylinerBuccaneerGroup] new fuel tank

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 2, 2010
            There are photo of the rebuilt one on SEAHAVEN he did a good job on it

            Mike

            --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, crunkinator@... wrote:

            > The heck with the rib, they grow back. Tanks don't. Sorry to hear about the tank problems
            > Sent from my BlackBerry® on the MetroPCS Network

          • bayliner.bill
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 2, 2010
              The new tank looks great, Mike. I hope you didn't get the broken rib while jumping for joy on the great deal you got! Be careful out there.

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 3, 2010
                Ordinarily you could not tell from a photo if the main was the original (sails pretty much look alike.) BUT, there's a few clues - the is no logo, and the sail is both too short on the mast and on the boom. Hence I would guess it's not the original, nor is it correct for the boat. ON the other hand, that's no big loss, as there is approximately Zero % chance a 30 year old sail is any good. Sails just don't last that long...

                Where did you read that your boat should have come from the factory with Jiffy reefing? I believe that no 220 came from the factory with it, or any reefing system for that matter. It should have a reefing hook on the gooseneck toggle, and that's it. Whichever of the dozen ways to reef the owner decided to use, including installing a "reefing system" was entirely aftermarket.

                Jiffy reefing is simply a reef line for the leech, led forward. You would lower the halyard, hook the reef cringle on the reef hook, re tighten the halyard, then pull the reef line tight and cleat it, all while at the mast. This works fine for small boats like the 220.
                an example: http://www.victoriayachts.com/vicsite/VicReef.jpg

                There are many variations, some simple and some way too complex.

                You can even reef from the cockpit! Here's how -
                Tthe reef line is attached to the boom on one side of the aft end, then the line runs up through the reef grommet and back down to the other side of the aft end of the boom, through a cheek block.
                It then leads forward to a cheek block as close to the gooseneck as possible (I actually shackled a block to my gooseneck,) through that cheeck block and up through the reef grommet and back down, through a fairlead (padeye etc) on the mast near the gooseneck, then down to the deck to a turning block, then back to the cockpit where it's cleated off.
                The main halyard must be led to the cockpit as well.
                Then you can lower the halyard (pre mark the spot to make it easy,) and pull the reef line tight and cleat it off. Done.
                Take some sail ties and tie up the loose foot of the sail.

                Here's a variation of the above single line system:
                http://www.zsparsuk.com/slrboom.gif

                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 3, 2010
                  BTW, the owner's manual that I found online said it came from the
                  factory with a 'jiffy reef'. But, since I don't see a grommet (or two), means there isn't anyway to reef the main, right? I may have overlooked it, but I'm pretty sure I should be seeing a grommet towards the front and the back, right? I don't think it's there. I guess I'll be looking for someone to add one. As for the sail going to the top of the mast, I only raised it part way to see the 'mural', because that pic is the first time I've seen it. I was really worried it was going to cover the whole sail, but it's not as bad as I thought it would be.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 3, 2010
                    To reef, there must a set of reef points in the sail.
                    reef points consist of a heavy grommet at the luff and at the leech, and somewhat lighter grommets in a line between them.
                    They're shown in this drawing:
                    http://www.sailingusa.info/images/mainsail_parts_3.gif
                    For cruising, 2 sets of reef points are desirable. (3 on really big mains...)

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 3, 2010
                      Lest someone have a "eureka!" moment - you can not just add grommets from the hardware store to make a sail reefable. Heavy reinforcement is required, the reinforcement and the grommets are just as heavy-duty as the tack and clew grommets.
                      In this pic, note there are 3 reef points in the main and 2 in the mizzen. Note how large the many-layered reinforcement patches are.
                      http://www.owensails.com/images/mainsail/mainsail1.jpg

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 6, 2010
                        Yeah, luckily where I am we have sailmakers within
                        driving distance. It's on the 'to get done' list
                        (which is quite long, of course)

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 6, 2010
                          Better than that my wife takes care of all that type of work. She has just repaired the jib where the UV strip blew out and the cord was not only exposed but broken in a number of places. The sail had to be repaired and had extra strenth attached to it along with a new Dacron cord replaced photos of the work are on SEAHAVEN.

                          Mike with a talanted wife

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 7, 2010
                            Now, THAT is a bonus. Good job Mike's wife!!