Attaching main & hull #

  • jbrooks4854
    Message 1 of 9 , May 26, 2010
      I posted for the mainsail and found it fine thank you.. Now I dont Know how it attaches clips brackets or rope.. Next where are the hull ID # located for regristration, I have a bill of sale but dont know where to confirm this...
    • Mike
      Message 2 of 9 , May 26, 2010
        Your HIN is located on the hull transom uaually on the Starboard side but I found mine on the Port side. The numbers will start with something like 5L5 050709680 0 the first set stands for the month the next is the hull number and the last stands for the year. Good luck locating them.

        Mike

        Message 3 of 9 , May 27, 2010
          Look first at the mast. Does it have a "groove" or some sort of "track?"
          If it has a groove, then the boltrope on the main (the thick rope that is sewn to the luff of the sail) slides into the groove as you raise the sail.
          If it has a track, there should be clips on the main that fit onto the track as you raise it.

          Sounds like you might benefit from collecting a few books on basic sailing and reading up. Good luck!

          --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "jbrooks4854" <jbrooks4854@...> wrote:

          > I posted for the mainsail and found it fine thank you.. Now I dont Know how it attaches clips brackets or rope..
        • WaltL
          Message 4 of 9 , May 27, 2010
            Lets see if I can clarify the "Groove" picture. If you do have a groove, look inside. Is it shallow and flat on the bottom? It would take a "T" slider (mine are nylon). If it is "deep" and kind of "round" on the bottom then it may take a bolt-rope. "T" sliders will want to clip into grommets on the sail with hardware. My main is bolt-rope to the boom and sliders up the mast.

            Walt

            Message 5 of 9 , May 28, 2010
              Walt, have a look at his pics. (folder "NoMain") Looks like it would use slugs? I've never seen a slot cut on one side only like that.

              Message 6 of 9 , May 28, 2010
                Phil, It looks like the link to the picture did not come through. I looked also in the Photo tab in your pics but did not see it there either. Give me another link.

                Message 7 of 9 , May 28, 2010
                  Found it. That looks like a bolt-rope. It looks like what I have on my main boom.

                  Walt

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 28, 2010
                    That lip looks rounder than my mast groove. My main mast is thicker and the lips come "flat" to the bottom of the groove. Looking from the top of the groove through, the lip is the thickness of the extrusion about 1/8 inch then the groove (the distance inside to the bottom of the groove) is not more that 1/4 inch and is flat on the bottom for a width of about 3/4 inch. When I busted a nylon slider that goes in the groove I pick one up at West Marine for a buck or so.

                    Walt

                    --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "WaltL" <wleberg@...> wrote:

                    > Found it. That looks like a bolt-rope. It looks like what I have on my main boom.
                    >
                    > Walt
                    >
                    > --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "WaltL" <wleberg@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Phil, It looks like the link to the picture did not come through. I looked also in the Photo tab in your pics but did not see it there either. Give me another link.
                    > >
                    > > Walt
                    > >
                    > > --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "PhilC" <PandD_Collins@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Walt, have a look at his pics. (folder "NoMain") Looks like it would use slugs? I've never seen a slot cut on one side only like that.

                  • fubartex
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 1, 2010
                      Phil, I've seen that before, I had a Chrysler 22 that had this, "side
                      gate". It was really pretty slick. Most people have to put the trackstop above the gate, so if the sail needs to be dropped (think middle of the lake)all the slides do not come out of the track groove. It's a real pain on a windy wavy lake to thread them all back in to raise the sail again. My Chrysler had an additional plate, same length as the gate,curved to fit the mast, and had a vertical joggle in the plate so it would fit into the gate. This would fill the void and act as the missing side of the track groove. It attached to the mast with 2 thumb screws. Horizontal slots in the plate allowed it to move back to allow the slides or bolt rope to exit the track groove. I can get a
                      picture of one if anyone wants to see it.