B240 Painting Job

  • bayliner.bill
    Message 1 of 6 , May 22, 2010
      I'm painting my boat for the first time. I've applied Pre-Kote and sanded with 120 grit. It went thru in a couple of places as expected by the Interlux people and so I just Pre-Koted it again, as instructed, in order to get a blemish free primed surface. The orange peel effect from the roller is very little this time. Any comments on whether I should sand it again as instructed by Interlux ( with 220 grit this time)? What's the big deal about orange peel effect. BTW, if I put the finish coat on won't the orange peel effect be filled up when the paint levels itself anyway? And even if it doesn't, what's the big deal?
      Anyone?
    • Mike
      Message 2 of 6 , May 22, 2010
        Is the orange peel effect over the complete boat or is it in some areas only. If it is over the complete boat you can say that was the effect you were trying for but if it is some areas only I would do it over again. This time you may want to thin the paint out to get it to flow evenly this is what we used to do many years ago. You may have to put on anumber of coats to get the correct thickness of paint required.

        Mike
        --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "bayliner.bill" <bayliner.bill@...> wrote:

        > I'm painting my boat for the first time. I've applied Pre-Kote and sanded with 120 grit. It went thru in a couple of places as expected by the Interlux people and so I just Pre-Koted it again, as instructed, in order to get a blemish free primed surface. The orange peel effect from the roller is very little this time. Any comments on whether I should sand it again as instructed by Interlux ( with 220 grit this time)? What's the big deal about orange peel effect. BTW, if I put the finish coat on won't the orange peel effect be filled up when the paint levels itself anyway? And even if it doesn't, what's the big deal?
        > Anyone?

      • bayliner.bill
        Message 3 of 6 , May 23, 2010
          Thanks Mike. I'm thinking of painting it with the roller and tipping technique (Interlux Brightside)in my driveway. The temp has been rarely above 12 degrees during the day so far this year. ( Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland). I'm thinking that the hull is not coming up to the required temperature for thje paint to flow enough, but others say it's fine for a roller job and just put on more prime coats and sand them down until the thing is smooth. I'm thinking I should have tipped the prime coats after rolling and it would have worked. ( I might try it today)
          PS The orange peel is not ugly and covers the entire boat. Looks good to me but it's not a mirror finish by any stretch.

          --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <mikedixon1@...> wrote:

          > Is the orange peel effect over the complete boat or is it in some areas only. If it is over the complete boat you can say that was the effect you were trying for but if it is some areas only I would do it over again. This time you may want to thin the paint out to get it to flow evenly this is what we used to do many years ago. You may have to put on anumber of coats to get the correct thickness of paint required.
          >
          > Mike
          > --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "bayliner.bill" <bayliner.bill@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm painting my boat for the first time. I've applied Pre-Kote and sanded with 120 grit. It went thru in a couple of places as expected by the Interlux people and so I just Pre-Koted it again, as instructed, in order to get a blemish free primed surface. The orange peel effect from the roller is very little this time. Any comments on whether I should sand it again as instructed by Interlux ( with 220 grit this time)? What's the big deal about orange peel effect. BTW, if I put the finish coat on won't the orange peel effect be filled up when the paint levels itself anyway? And even if it doesn't, what's the big deal?
          > > Anyone?

        • Mike
          Message 4 of 6 , May 23, 2010
            Just one thing more I forgot to say when painting in ones driveway make sure that you wet the driveway down to prevent dust getting into your paint job. Also try to ground out the vessel to prevent static electricty which will build up and pull dust etc. onto the paint job. Good luck

            Message 5 of 6 , May 24, 2010
              More coats will not fill in the orange peel, it will simply make it worse.

              Follow -To The Letter- the directions for use; improper thinning, temperature and humidity can (and will) ruin the paint job. Lotta money and effort involved to not do it right.

              Of course, only you can decide how nice a job you are happy with...
            • bayliner.bill
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 3, 2010
                I've finished the priming job. Two coats and then I sanded down with 220 grit. Looks good, a few flaws, but I'm hoping the paint will help there. I've had enough and will paint today if the weather is good. BTW, what was the original color of the B240 gelcoat? Could it be an off white such as International Brightsides Hatteras Off-White? Sure looks like it, but would the manufacturer have matched that with the large blue stripe? Or is the white so faded that it looks like off white?

                You see, I don't plan to paint the topsides from the rub rail up this year and compared to the white primer below the rub rail, the topsides look like a very light beige.( it matches a paint chip for Hatteras off white)
                Any ideas?