b275 and spinns

  • bucclivaboard
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 17, 2009
      how would a bucc275 do with a spinnaker? i think it would be asemmetric
      because they are easyer to solo with, and dont need a pole to mess with
      but on the other hand i would like to be able to pole out my jib. i
      dont know yet for shur but i may put in the blocks etc when i drop the
      mast. is the mast ment to take loads like this?
    • Phil Collins
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 18, 2009
        Refresh my memory - what model is a 275? (pics?)

        Short answer - ABSOLUTELY! In my opinion EVERY boat should have a
        spinnaker! It's the #1 reason to have a mast - so you can raise a
        spinnaker. Life's too short for white sails...

        As for the mast and more importantly - rigging taking the loads - a
        Bow mounted cruisiing spin doesn't add much load. As long as your
        rigging isn't about to fall apart - no worries.
        Now, if you want to rig a proper spin and pole etc - I'd look more
        closely at the mast section and rig. But even then, it's highly
        doubtful there'd be any problems.
        Do bear in mind that a big enough screwup can cost ANY boat it's
        mast...

        --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "bucclivaboard"

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 18, 2009
          thanks phil i hate white sails, down wind but my main should be great
          down wind as it is as full as a spinnaker! any way the 275 is the 270
          with a inboard. also would i need to mount any other winches? i know
          racers have to sets, but i think i could mount the blocks aft and then
          back forward to my jib sheet winches. to see any photos go to
          http://www.sailblogs.com/member/livaboard/
          or under s/v MAD JIBE on yahoo.
          thanks
        • Phil Collins
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 19, 2009
            Gotcha - wasn't certain it was the 270 style or the 272 style (utterly
            different boats.)

            I seriously don't believe you'll have rig issues.

            No reason not to use the sheet winches you already have. Even if you
            double slot, you can cross sheet to the other side if you need to.

            Re the main shape - good one! Not being in denial is the first step in
            the right direction! Blocks aft then up to the winches is correct. If
            you have a slotted toerail, snatch blocks are great then you can fine
            tune where they are placed.

            <natfrost@...> wrote:

            > thanks phil i hate white sails, down wind but my main should be great
            > down wind as it is as full as a spinnaker! any way the 275 is the 270
            > with a inboard. also would i need to mount any other winches? i know
            > racers have to sets, but i think i could mount the blocks aft and
            then
            > back forward to my jib sheet winches. to see any photos go to
            > http://www.sailblogs.com/member/livaboard/
            > or under s/v MAD JIBE on yahoo.
            > thanks

          • bucclivaboard
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 19, 2009
              i have the slots in the toe rail, and i can make the sail. hase any one
              done this on another 270 or like boat that i can get some photos or
              drawings from? im also going to do the 2 jib down wind sail plan.