Re: B240 stove

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 8, 2010
      I don't know where you live but if I were to get that price here I would jump at it. By the way I am in British Columbia but regurdless in Canadian or US currancy it sounds like a good deal. Maybe others may know more about the Altmatic stove.

      Mike

      --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "bayliner.bill" <bayliner.bill@...> wrote:

      > It doesn't take up much room Mike, cause I can't see anything except maybe the cutting board that covers it! Good on ya! Thanks. I can get a new "Altmatic" two burner alcohol stove for $100. Is that a good purchase?
      >
      > --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <mikedixon1@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I would not use propane in my boat it has a pressurized alcohol stove in it and that is what the manufacturer had installed. Mind you, you must read the instructions and obey them or you can have a flare-up. It is as hot as propane but not as dangerous and can be put out with water. To see how it was installed in the boat just go to SEAHAVEN photos and there is one there. It is in a 305 not a 240 so some adjustments would have to be made. Good Luck and Happy Sailing
      > >
      > > PS- Do not use a Coleman Camp stove in your boat
      > >
      > > Mike
      > >
      > > --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "bob.sparks@" <bob.sparks@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > When I bought my bucc it had propane stove with a rusting tank under the cockpit seat. With no vent to the outside as it should have had. I never trusted it so I never tried it. I traded it for a alcohol stove. Which needed some modifications to fit in.
      > > >
      > > > When I removed the propane stove the wood of the counter, covered by the stove edges was charred black like camp fire wood. Some previous owner came so close to fiery inferno. I wonder if they smelled it and shut down the stove or just got lucky.
      > > >
      > > > Well I still haven't got that alcohol stove mounted in yet. My first attempt didn't leave enough room for the gimbal swing action.
      > > >
      > > > In the mean time I use clone versions of this http://www.sterno.com/ available at Kmart and other fine retailers. Probably the safest flame based heat source.
      > > >
      > > > I fashioned a little holder that sits in my sink. If it boils over is easy to clean. And the sink is a great heat "sink".
      > > >
      > > > Since then I bought a grill that can be used as a single burner stove. Only problem is my mount doesn't hold out far enough to the hamburger grease to drop right into the water. Its pretty slow to heat water and forget it if you are underway under sail.
      > > >
      > > > But perhaps what will kill off my alcohol stove installation job for ever is I mounted a 800 watt inverter to charge my cell phone and run my laptop. I found a single cup coffee make that draws 500 watts.
      > > >

      > > > Food for thought.
      > > >
      > > > Bob

    • Bob Ingman
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 8, 2010
        Mike are you on Vancouver Island? If so we`re almost neighbors. I`m on Prince of Wales Island just north of the Queen Charlottes. Take care. Bob

        For a view of Southeast Alaska visit my gallery at
        http://northland.smugmug.com

        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 8, 2010
          Bob

          Sorry but I live in the Fraser Vally but keep the SEAHAVEN up on the coast near Pender Harbour at a small cove called Secret Cove. It is cheaper than in Vancouver and closer to all the good areas for boating. I might add this sun and good weather just get better and better every day.

          Mike

          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 8, 2010
            Sun & good weather? We`re in our second consecutive snowy day here. Can`t complain though we have been snowless all winter.
              I have traveled in your area a few times when driving from Seattle to Prince Rupert.I think Northern BC is a beautiful place for all sorts of outdoor recreation. Take care & happy sailing. Bob