Dealing With Condensation

  • thingman2000
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 2, 2010
      My Buc seems to have excessive condensation. Last year I removed the carpet from the bulkheads & removed the vinyl from the overhead. Now it looks nice but I suspect ( in hindsight)it is my problem at this point.
      Anyone have tips on how to bring this under control to a more liveable level? Thanks & take care. Bob
    • bayliner.bill
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 2, 2010
        Are your mushroom vents open in the cabin? Is there much water in the bilge?

        --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "thingman2000" <thingman2000@...> wrote:

        > My Buc seems to have excessive condensation. Last year I removed the carpet from the bulkheads & removed the vinyl from the overhead. Now it looks nice but I suspect ( in hindsight)it is my problem at this point.
        > Anyone have tips on how to bring this under control to a more liveable level? Thanks & take care. Bob

      • llindell
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 3, 2010
          We had a problem w/condensation & began to run a fan (1) when we aren't on board & 2 when we are. No more condensation. We run then 24/7 even in the winter. Not a big fan; just one of those small clip-on varieties. 6" Works like a charm.

          --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "bayliner.bill" <bayliner.bill@...> wrote:

          > Are your mushroom vents open in the cabin? Is there much water in the bilge?
          >
          > --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "thingman2000" <thingman2000@> wrote:
          > >
          > > My Buc seems to have excessive condensation. Last year I removed the carpet from the bulkheads & removed the vinyl from the overhead. Now it looks nice but I suspect ( in hindsight)it is my problem at this point.
          > > Anyone have tips on how to bring this under control to a more liveable level? Thanks & take care. Bob

        • Bob Ingman
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 3, 2010
            The fan isn`t enough for this one. I have been running a huge household fan 24/7 all winter and still its dripping from the overhead. I think I need more ventalation to make the fan work properly. For now I`ll vent the forward hatch to see if that helps. Thanks & take care. Bob

            For a view of Southeast Alaska visit my gallery at
            http://northland.smugmug.com

            We had a problem w/condensation & began to run a fan (1) when we aren't on board & 2 when we are. No more condensation. We run then 24/7 even in the winter. Not a big fan; just one of those small clip-on varieties. 6" Works like a charm.

            --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGr oup@yahoogroups. com, "bayliner.bill" <bayliner.bill@ ...> wrote:

            > Are your mushroom vents open in the cabin? Is there much water in the bilge?
            >
            > --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGr oup@yahoogroups. com, "thingman2000" <thingman2000@ > wrote:
            > >
            > > My Buc seems to have excessive condensation. Last year I removed the carpet from the bulkheads & removed the vinyl from the overhead. Now it looks nice but I suspect ( in hindsight)it is my problem at this point.
            > > Anyone have tips on how to bring this under control to a more liveable level? Thanks & take care. Bob

          • WaltL
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 3, 2010
              Greetings Bob

              The object of the fan is to take air out of the boat. If you are just stirring the humid air inside the boat and exposing it to the cold sides, the air will always condense no mater how fast it is moving.

              Position a fan ( a big one may not work) in such a way as to either push air out or pull outside air in. The little six inch fans should do quite will. The object is to have a flow of air from the outside through the boat and back outside. This will equalize the temperature (alas and the humidity) such that there will be no condensation. Yes, it will be humid but it will not condensate (100% humidity). When the outside air, the cabin walls, and the inside air are the same temperature, there will be no condensation.

              I think of the old Forest Service shelters in the mountains. They are a lean-too or half a building. There is lots of air flow but being out of the rain one could actually dry closes in them.

              I believe that mold and mildew will only grow in stagnate air that is not flowing.

              I have had my 305 in this condition of air flow for years and no condensation or mold. Yes when I do a trip on board I heat it up. Amazingly when we close up the cabin and heat it up inside we start to get condensation on the windows.

              My theme is that warm air (36 deg 85% humidity) will condense on cold walls (34 deg) all the time. It is easier to equalize the temperature than to lower and maintain the humidity below the dew point on a cold wall.

              Walt

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 3, 2010
                 Thanks Walt. Sounds like what I needed to know.
                So perhaps removing the carpet from the hull (bulkheads) is not all bad. Good to hear that because it was a lot of work and greatly improved the appearance of the vessel below deck. Take care. Bob

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 3, 2010
                  Yep.
                  The only time we ever had condensation issues were closing up the boat after an offshore race with wet foulies hanging around (because we would be returning in a week or two) or offshore when we decided to button up the boat and use the furnace, with 7 people and their wet foulies inside... Between the damp breath, wet clothes, and teapot running non stop we had a fog bank inside.

                  For offshore, we usually removed the vent scoops and installed the plugs (nicro ventilator type of things) due to the harsh conditions we typically face. And of course opening a hatch is usually not possible. But we usually don't bother with heat. So in the above case we put the scoops back on, facing aft, and left the companionway hatch cracked. Worked like a charm. This worked even better when we had the dodger, which we typically leave at home for racing.

                  For in port, we got 2 solar vents that snap into the nicro vent holes. One near the mast and one in the lazarette. Never any condensation after that, summer or winter, even when we left our wet gear hanging inside and locked up the boat. Boat is 41 feet, so 2 vents isn't overkill.

                  And water in the bilge really doesn't help, get 'er dry.