Greetings!

  • hdgrandaddy
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 26, 2010
      Good day to all,

      I am a proud new owner of a 1976 Buccaneer 240BU. She is in exceptional shape, and came with 2 sets of sails, and a Merc 9.9 hp. outboard. I would like to ask anyone who has, or had a 240BU if they can give me the specs on keel length as this boat was bought in the water and I want to find a trailer for her suitable to haul her on. I know, you all are no doubt saying "moron" bought a boat and didn't even look at the bottom, but for $850.00 dollars, if she were to take on water tomorrow, I got my money's worth out of her thru the Merc!

      Any tips or advice on this design would also be appreciated!

      Jeff
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 26, 2010
        Greetings and welcome!

        --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "hdgrandaddy" <hdgrandaddy@...> wrote:

        > Good day to all,
        >
        > I am a proud new owner of a 1976 Buccaneer 240BU. She is in exceptional shape, and came with 2 sets of sails, and a Merc 9.9 hp. outboard. I would like to ask anyone who has, or had a 240BU if they can give me the specs on keel length as this boat was bought in the water and I want to find a trailer for her suitable to haul her on. I know, you all are no doubt saying "moron" bought a boat and didn't even look at the bottom, but for $850.00 dollars, if she were to take on water tomorrow, I got my money's worth out of her thru the Merc!
        >
        > Any tips or advice on this design would also be appreciated!
        >
        > Jeff

      • WaltL
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 27, 2010
          Welcome Jeff

          Phil's link will take you to quite a resource. You should also look through all the links to the left of this page. Look though the "Files", "Photos", "Links", "Database" links and you will find a wealth of information.

          Walt

          --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "PhilC" <PandD_Collins@...> wrote:

          > Greetings and welcome!
          >
          > --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "hdgrandaddy" <hdgrandaddy@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Good day to all,
          > >
          > > I am a proud new owner of a 1976 Buccaneer 240BU. She is in exceptional shape, and came with 2 sets of sails, and a Merc 9.9 hp. outboard. I would like to ask anyone who has, or had a 240BU if they can give me the specs on keel length as this boat was bought in the water and I want to find a trailer for her suitable to haul her on. I know, you all are no doubt saying "moron" bought a boat and didn't even look at the bottom, but for $850.00 dollars, if she were to take on water tomorrow, I got my money's worth out of her thru the Merc!
          > >
          > > Any tips or advice on this design would also be appreciated!
          > >
          > > Jeff

        • bayliner.bill
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 27, 2010
            Sounds like a deal Jeff. You'll love that boat in no time. Welcome. Bill
          • hdgrandaddy
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 28, 2010
              My thanks to everyone who has been so good as to assist me in my search for information! About the only information I can not find is concerning 2 questions, the first being (because I have never owned a trailerable sailboat) how much weight of the sailboat rides on the keel when the boat is on the trailer, does the boat basically set on her keel and the bunk rollers / boards hold her upright? And, my second question is, does anyone know of a reasonable priced outlet for a trailer for this boat, be it new, or used in good condition?

              Jeff
              240BU

              --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "PhilC" <PandD_Collins@...> wrote:

              > Greetings and welcome!
              >
              > --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "hdgrandaddy" <hdgrandaddy@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Good day to all,
              > >
              > > I am a proud new owner of a 1976 Buccaneer 240BU. She is in exceptional shape, and came with 2 sets of sails, and a Merc 9.9 hp. outboard. I would like to ask anyone who has, or had a 240BU if they can give me the specs on keel length as this boat was bought in the water and I want to find a trailer for her suitable to haul her on. I know, you all are no doubt saying "moron" bought a boat and didn't even look at the bottom, but for $850.00 dollars, if she were to take on water tomorrow, I got my money's worth out of her thru the Merc!
              > >
              > > Any tips or advice on this design would also be appreciated!
              > >
              > > Jeff

            • John Obratil
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 28, 2010
                When you trailer a sailboat the keel rests on the support and the stancions support the hull. A good trailer will be balanced with 8-10% of the weight forward. You also want to think about brakes. I prefer electric and on a boat like yours you might want tandem axles with brakes all around. A tongue extension would be nice. and depending on conditions at the ramp (salt or fresh water) consider painted steel, galvanized, or aluminum. I favor pads over bunks, since it's easier to work on the bottom.