Re: Painting or Gel Coating

    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 21, 2010
      Corvettes are painted...
      Even though most of the body parts come out of the molds with gelcoat (good way to get a hard smooth surface cheaply) when they do repairs they don't mess with gelcoat.

      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 21, 2010
        Single part paints can be good too - Petit Easypoxy for example is highly regarded and less expensive, I've seen some stunning finishes with it done by amateurs.
        But the 2 part paints are more durable for the long haul, and harder so they don't wear as fast.
      • bayliner.bill
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 25, 2010
          Thanks for the link,Phil. What a beautiful boat.

          --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "PhilC" <PandD_Collins@...> wrote:

          > I have never seen an amateur do gelcoat that looked good.
          > It is a TON of work, and on a large scale very difficult if not impossible. Unbelievable amount of work.
          > The main problem with it is that is doesn't cure in the presence of air.
          >
          > The name brand 2 part marine urethanes (such as Awlgrip LPU) are what high end yacht builders use, they don't use gelcoat. (One-off or custom yachts aren't built in molds, so gelcoating isn't feasible anyway.)
          >
          > There's lot of instruction on line about how to use marine enamels to get a killer finish. Follow the directions precisely in all respects and and it can be stunning.
          >
          > Here is an example built by Lombardi Yachts (one well known high end custom builder) finsihed with a 2 part LPU finish:
          > http://www.f-boat.com/pages/News2/F-32AXVirginia.html
          >
          > Another option of a trailerable boat is automotive paint. Those offshore powerboats with the killer graphics used to be painted with Imron, although there are newer and better paints today.
          >
          > But, to try to restore your gelcoat, start by wetsanding with 1000 grit. Then polish with compounds and a machine. Unless it's just ruined, that's how to get the old shine back. It is labor intensive.... Simply compounding won't cut it deep enough.

        • Mark
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 16, 2010
            Phil,
            Do you know if Easypoxy can be srayed on or should it be rolled and tipped (toxicity wise that is) I've heard and read that with the 2 part paints spraying them is rather dangerous without proper ventilation and respirators and I was curious how Easypoxy compared.
            Mark

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 16, 2010
              Yes, it can be sprayed.
              http://www.wholesalemarine.com/blog/2008/02/24/how-to-appply-pettit-easypoxy-application-data/

              And yes, the airborne mist of urethanes are hazardous to your health.

              --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <mtbn_97004@...> wrote:

              > Phil,
              > Do you know if Easypoxy can be srayed on or should it be rolled and tipped (toxicity wise that is) I've heard and read that with the 2 part paints spraying them is rather dangerous without proper ventilation and respirators and I was curious how Easypoxy compared.
              > Mark
              >

              > --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "PhilC" <PandD_Collins@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Single part paints can be good too - Petit Easypoxy for example is highly regarded and less expensive, I've seen some stunning finishes with it done by amateurs.
              > > But the 2 part paints are more durable for the long haul, and harder so they don't wear as fast.

            • Mike
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 16, 2010
                Mark

                Two part epoxy paint are very very dangerous I used to work in a paint shop for the City of Vancouver and I think out of the ones that stayed, there may be only about four of us still here. I fortunatly was able to get out on the road and away fron the fumes. Please used protection and that does not mean just a dust mask. It is also a good idea to cover all exposed areas with Vasoline you do not have to use gobes of it but make sure the skin is coated. Regular paint as Phil says can be rolled on with a rather stunning effect. You may have to use thinners to get the paint to roll on with out(what we call) the orange peel affect a little pratice may be required.

                Good Luck
                Mike

                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 16, 2010
                  Thanks Guys,
                  Phil, the link was a big help.
                  Mike, I had heard that the fumes from epoxy paints were toxic when sprayed but I hadn't heard the tip of covering up with vasoline.
                  I was curious about spraying because my neighbor, who used to run a body shop, offered to shoot the paint for my boat when I got to that point and I was wondering what options I might have as far as paint is concerned. It would probably be best for me if he could do it, as I reeeeeeally suck at painting.
                  Thanks for the info
                  Mark

                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 16, 2010
                    Mark

                    Yes it works with regular or epoxy if you use one of the paint suits the only part that needs to be covered is the face. Then all that is needed is to wipe it off and wash. We used to use thinners to wash in but thats why so many of the guys are gone mow. In those days no one knew what the long terms effects would do to you. But if the neighbor will do it for you fantastic just watch the over spray unless you are in a paint booth with proper ventilation.

                    Mike