Buc 270 Thruhull mounted Transducer

  • raybosailor
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2009
      I just experienced a near disaster with my Buccaneer 270. This past spring, I encountered water incursion coming thru the icebox drain tube, which has been disconnected and only recently plugged. So water was in the cabin. Not much, but enough to get the paper core between the hull and floor saturated. While out sailing a week ago, I was taking on water. Allot of it. It turned out that the thruhull mounted transducer was compressing againg this false floor and not the hull. Since the paper core has lost all strength and collapsed, there was nothing to hold the transducer in place. Ergo, a big leak.

      After returning to shore and getting it on the trailer, I looked for a long time before discovering the issue. The transduceer had no bonding agent left and fell out when the bronze nuts were loosened. I pulled that transducer, and used "Kitty Hair" to fill the hole, whereby eliminating one of the two possible sources of future leaks.

      So if you plan on leeping your original transducer, maybe you should remount it against the hull and not this crappy material on the false floor that was used by Bayliner.

      Good luck

      Raybo