well I finaly found you

  • mikedixon305
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 22, 2009
      it has been some time since I have been on here it has just been one of those things. but I did get my new Yanmar installed (3YM30) and I am happy with it. It did cost a lot but was worth every dollar I paid $10500 for motor $3000 for instal and about $3500 forr extras that I wanted and some that were nessary ei. new prop RH due to the old ones being LH. So have two very good LHs at home and will sale for a good price.

      Good sailing
      SEAHAVEN
    • wleberg
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 23, 2009
        That is great. In the break in period my oil darkened up quickly. I changed it at ten hours and twenty hours. I then "flushed" out the oil until it was clean at fifty hours. Then went to a normal change period. I may be over doing it. I now have about 250 hours and I love the engine. It is quiet, strong, and dependable. Invest in a good oil sucker. You have to pull all the oil out the dipstick tube. I tried a couple cheap one and they are not worth the frustration.

        A recommendation! Check your impeller now. I checked mine and one fin was ripped off. My thought is that the rubber dried out after manufacturing. It then it was just rubber against metal. On the first crank the metal and rubber did not rub and the fin that had the most bend ripped off. Once the impeller is lubricated with water everything will run well.

        Lastly check for loose bolts after a few hours, especially the coupling disk and prop shaft disk.

        Seahaven is a beautiful boat.

        Walt

        --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "mikedixon305" <mikedixon1@...> wrote:

        > it has been some time since I have been on here it has just been one of those things. but I did get my new Yanmar installed (3YM30) and I am happy with it. It did cost a lot but was worth every dollar I paid $10500 for motor $3000 for instal and about $3500 forr extras that I wanted and some that were nessary ei. new prop RH due to the old ones being LH. So have two very good LHs at home and will sale for a good price.
        >
        > Good sailing
        > SEAHAVEN

      • mikedixon305
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 23, 2009
          --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "wleberg" <wleberg@...> wrote:

          > That is great. In the break in period my oil darkened up quickly. I changed it at ten hours and twenty hours. I then "flushed" out the oil until it was clean at fifty hours. Then went to a normal change period. I may be over doing it. I now have about 250 hours and I love the engine. It is quiet, strong, and dependable. Invest in a good oil sucker. You have to pull all the oil out the dipstick tube. I tried a couple cheap one and they are not worth the frustration.
          >
          > A recommendation! Check your impeller now. I checked mine and one fin was ripped off. My thought is that the rubber dried out after manufacturing. It then it was just rubber against metal. On the first crank the metal and rubber did not rub and the fin that had the most bend ripped off. Once the impeller is lubricated with water everything will run well.
          >
          > Lastly check for loose bolts after a few hours, especially the coupling disk and prop shaft disk.

          > Seahaven is a beautiful boat.
          >
          > Walt

          Walt
          Thank you for your assurance on the motor. I am just about to do the first oil change and the marina that did the install wanted to do the check for loose bolts etc. So far the oil has stayed clean and all seems to be working fantastic. One problem - when we were in the middle of Haro Strait the motor faultered and came to a stop. I did find the problem. It was a inline primer ball at the fuel tank that had collapsed. Don't know if I need it or not so I am thinking that I will change it for a regular fuel line. It could be the ball or something in the tank that is plugging the dip tube, just one of those things that have to be sorted out. There is one thing that I am having a problem with. The book is telling me that I should change the rpm every so often. This is where the problem is - it says that it should be regulated from 1000 RPM to 3600 RPM, this seems to be too high but I am not a pro.
          Thank you for your remarks about SEAHAVEN we have been working on her for some years now and of course it will never stop.

          Good sailing
          Mike & Anne (SEAHAVEN)

          > --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "mikedixon305" <mikedixon1@> wrote:
          > >
          > > it has been some time since I have been on here it has just been one of those things. but I did get my new Yanmar installed (3YM30) and I am happy with it. It did cost a lot but was worth every dollar I paid $10500 for motor $3000 for instal and about $3500 forr extras that I wanted and some that were nessary ei. new prop RH due to the old ones being LH. So have two very good LHs at home and will sale for a good price.
          > >
          > > Good sailing
          > > SEAHAVEN

        • wleberg
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 23, 2009
            Yes, for the break in period the RPM must not stay at any particular number for very long. I changed it about every ten to fifteen minutes. My mechanic said run it slow then fast than slow then fast slowly work it up to 3600 RPM. Slowly I interpreted at taking three of four hour to get there, but he said it was important to run it max'ed out for a short period durning the break in. So for the first ten hours I run the engine up and down the RPM's full range.

            The manual says it is good to run the engine at top RPM for short times to blow out the carbon. It prescribes how much time the engine can be run at various times for post break in use. For my 3YM20, I run it at 2200 quite a lot. That pushes me at about four and half knots using a little more than a half gallon a hour.

            But one must not forget that the 305 sails also.