Re: Boom to Mast attachment on bucc 240

  • c670cj
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 18 10:09 AM
      --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups
      > Mark

      I've got a 1976 240, no pics but here goes with a description of the way it works: the "boom gooseneck" slides into the mast at the open groove and slides downward to the stop inside the groove. The rear of the boom is then suspended by attaching the brass hook located along the rear "mast stay" (which leads from the top of the mast to the stern) to the steel "hanger bar" which is screwed into the rear of the boom...

      The sail is then attached to the mast by sliders as you crank it up the mast with the "uphaul rope" attached to the sail's head. At the bottom of the sail is a brass grommet/hole which is attached to the boom by the 'L' attachment at the top side of the boom gooseneck. Continue to hoist the sail (now attached to the boom) till its taught or to the top of the masthead.

      Then adjust the sail luff line(the amount of 'pouchiness' of the sail along the mastline of the sail) by pulling down on the smaller "down haul" rope (which should be attached to the ring on the bottom of the gooseneck boom attachment). Once the desired level of taughtness is attained, simply secure the this 'down haul' rope to the little cleat at the aft bottom of the mast just below the lower end of the gooseneck.

      If yours hasn't been criminally butchered with non-standard replacement parts, that should work....Of course, if anything is missing, bunged up or seems subtandard in any way, spend the money and get it corrected. And thats a general rule of thumb. Treat this boat right and she won't let you down!

      I deliberately use non-nautical terms since I do not know your level of sailing experience. And congrats, I think you now own one of the sweetest little pockt yachts around today. Shes been mine for 33 years and I still love her! A good performer, VERY forgiving and a wonderfully comfortable boat.

    • Phil Collins
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 18 12:46 PM
        Sliding gooseneck is quite common on small boats.
        Here's a sample photo of one such gooseneck: http://www.dwyermast.com/images/dh354-1lsm.jpg

        The track is probably bunged up because he lashed the boom - NOT a good practice and he's lucky it didn't tear up the mainsail.

        Get some small pliars etc and carefully straighten the track. I've inserted a metal something and tapped with a hammer too, aluminum is easy to shape. Finesse, rather that brute force is best. Then put some sandpaper on a dowel or something the fits well and run it up and down inside the track to remove burrs.

        If the main has a shelf foot, the foot of sail slides into the track on the boom and the clew is secured with the outhaul.
        If loose-footed, the clew slug goes in the track, secure the clew to the outhaul.
        The tack of the main should go on the "tack hook" -the ears with the pin on the top of the fitting in the pic above, but from what CJ says it sounds like you should have a simple hook.
        Then raise the main to full hoist.
        Pull the cunningham (downhaul) just enough to remove most of the wrinkles from the luff. (Generally, in higher winds and rougher water, pull more downhaul.)
        Pull the outhaul the desired amount.

        --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "mtbn_97004" <mtbn_97004@...> wrote:

        > Hello All,
        >
        > I have a problem I hope someone can help me out with. I have a 1974 Bucc 240. The gooseneck attachment seems to be a slug that slides in to the groove for the slugs on the main sail. the problem is... the groove is kind of bunged up, I'm assuming from the torque of the boom tweaking the gooseneck back and forth in the groove. This being the first sail I've ever owned that I didn't build I'm sort of confused by this set up, I've never seen anything like it.
        > Is there a piece missing? Should there be something that bolts/rivets to mast that the goose neck attaches to or is this just the way it was done from the factory?
        > The guy I bought it from said he just jury rigged it by tying the boom to the mast with a peice of rope. (Iknow thats not the right way to do it).
        > If anyone has some detailed pics of how the boom should be properly attached I would REALLY appreciate getting a look at them.
        > Any an all input welcome.
        > Thanks
        > Mark

      • mtbn_97004
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 18 12:57 PM
          --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "c670cj" <c670cj@...> wrote:

          > --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups
          > > Mark
          >
          > I've got a 1976 240, no pics but here goes with a description of the way it works: the "boom gooseneck" slides into the mast at the open groove and slides downward to the stop inside the groove. The rear of the boom is then suspended by attaching the brass hook located along the rear "mast stay" (which leads from the top of the mast to the stern) to the steel "hanger bar" which is screwed into the rear of the boom...
          >
          > The sail is then attached to the mast by sliders as you crank it up the mast with the "uphaul rope" attached to the sail's head. At the bottom of the sail is a brass grommet/hole which is attached to the boom by the 'L' attachment at the top side of the boom gooseneck. Continue to hoist the sail (now attached to the boom) till its taught or to the top of the masthead.
          >
          > Then adjust the sail luff line(the amount of 'pouchiness' of the sail along the mastline of the sail) by pulling down on the smaller "down haul" rope (which should be attached to the ring on the bottom of the gooseneck boom attachment). Once the desired level of taughtness is attained, simply secure the this 'down haul' rope to the little cleat at the aft bottom of the mast just below the lower end of the gooseneck.
          >
          > If yours hasn't been criminally butchered with non-standard replacement parts, that should work....Of course, if anything is missing, bunged up or seems subtandard in any way, spend the money and get it corrected. And thats a general rule of thumb. Treat this boat right and she won't let you down!
          >
          > I deliberately use non-nautical terms since I do not know your level of sailing experience. And congrats, I think you now own one of the sweetest little pockt yachts around today. Shes been mine for 33 years and I still love her! A good performer, VERY forgiving and a wonderfully comfortable boat.

          Thanks CJ,
          That does help clear things up a little however this boat isn't a "sweet little" anything.... yet she needs a whole lotta work. if your curious I have some pics posted in the PHOTOS section under "Mark's Beasty"
          She's really rough now but with some time and some work she'll get there.
          Mark
        • mtbn_97004
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 18 12:59 PM
            --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "c670cj" <c670cj@...> wrote:

            > --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups
            > > Mark
            >
            > I've got a 1976 240, no pics but here goes with a description of the way it works: the "boom gooseneck" slides into the mast at the open groove and slides downward to the stop inside the groove. The rear of the boom is then suspended by attaching the brass hook located along the rear "mast stay" (which leads from the top of the mast to the stern) to the steel "hanger bar" which is screwed into the rear of the boom...
            >
            > The sail is then attached to the mast by sliders as you crank it up the mast with the "uphaul rope" attached to the sail's head. At the bottom of the sail is a brass grommet/hole which is attached to the boom by the 'L' attachment at the top side of the boom gooseneck. Continue to hoist the sail (now attached to the boom) till its taught or to the top of the masthead.
            >
            > Then adjust the sail luff line(the amount of 'pouchiness' of the sail along the mastline of the sail) by pulling down on the smaller "down haul" rope (which should be attached to the ring on the bottom of the gooseneck boom attachment). Once the desired level of taughtness is attained, simply secure the this 'down haul' rope to the little cleat at the aft bottom of the mast just below the lower end of the gooseneck.
            >
            > If yours hasn't been criminally butchered with non-standard replacement parts, that should work....Of course, if anything is missing, bunged up or seems subtandard in any way, spend the money and get it corrected. And thats a general rule of thumb. Treat this boat right and she won't let you down!
            >
            > I deliberately use non-nautical terms since I do not know your level of sailing experience. And congrats, I think you now own one of the sweetest little pockt yachts around today. Shes been mine for 33 years and I still love her! A good performer, VERY forgiving and a wonderfully comfortable boat.

            Thanks CJ,
            That does help clear things up a little however this boat isn't a "sweet little" anything.... yet she needs a whole lotta work. if your curious I have some pics posted in the PHOTOS section under "Mark's Beasty"
            She's really rough now but with some time and some work she'll get there.
            Mark
          • Jbb Doe
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 18 6:05 PM
              Diamond in the rough Mrk. A diamond in the rough.

              Have fun! JBC

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 18 7:00 PM
                Indeed!

                Few things are as satisfying as breathing new life back into an old boat.

                Just don't total up the receipts....

                --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, Jbb Doe <c670cj@...> wrote:

                > Diamond in the rough Mrk. A diamond in the rough.
                >
                > Have fun! JBC
              • mtbn_97004
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 19 4:31 AM
                  --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Collins" <PandD_Collins@...> wrote:

                  > Indeed!
                  >
                  > Few things are as satisfying as breathing new life back into an old boat.
                  >

                  > Just don't total up the receipts....
                  >

                  > --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, Jbb Doe <c670cj@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Diamond in the rough Mrk. A diamond in the rough.
                  > >
                  > > Have fun! JBC

                  Thanks Guys,
                  Phil, that pic looks a lot like the deal at end of the boom, that helps, thanks.
                  JBC definitely "in the rough" she's pretty much a bare hull right now needing to be re-cored I also need to pull the keel and clean that out and reset the lead ballast as foam down there is still oozing water. (she took on about 18'of rain water over the winter sitting on the trailer)
                  Thank you all for the help and words of encouragement.
                  Mark