Problems bleeding MD7A

  • martin.wedepohl
    Message 1 of 4 , May 17, 2014

      I have a Buccaneer 295 with a Volvo Penta MD7A engine.  Last Sunday it was having difficulty idling would run at about 2000 RPM then over a minute would slowly drop to 500 RPM belch black smoke out the exhaust and repeat the process.  I replaced the Racor (filter/separator) before the fuel pump and the Bosch filter after the fuel pump.  I filled both with diesel before putting them back on.  I have opened the bleed screw on the Bosch filter and pumped for about 15 mins.  There is no fuel at all coming out of the bleed screw.  I have moved the flywheel a few times as it suggested that the pump cam might not be sitting right.

      Totally confused and frustrated right now.  Anyone with any ideas?

      Martin

    • katy Cardwell
      Message 2 of 4 , May 17, 2014
        Hi:
        Check that there are no air leaks at the filters and check that the pick up tube in the tank is not blocked, also check that the tank vent is not blocked...
        I have seen all of these happen with the MD2 diesel...
        Mike
        S/V Wigwam
        Bucc 305

        Message 3 of 4 , May 17, 2014
          Did all that and everything is fine. I still didn't get anything when I used the lever on the fuel pump.Finaly got a syringe and squirted diesel into where the bleed screw is once it was full I started the engine and everything worked fine.Stopped the engine and tried the bleeding process again with no results. Figure the manual pump lever is not working.Martin
        • simicmike
          Message 4 of 4 , May 19, 2014
            Hi Martin I also have a MD7a in my 285. Keep it simple and eliminate one part at a time. I would start with the mechanical pump. I know when all is quiet and I manually pump  the handle I can hear fuel returning to the tank. If you cant hear it crack the steel line that goes from the pump to the secondary filter on the engine. Manually pump again, there should be fuel coming out. If there is great, try it again with the starter hopefully there is still fuel squirting out. If not on ether its the fuel pump or no fuel is getting to it. Tighten the line. Let me know if your getting fuel

            Mike