Motor for Bucc 180

  • drdouglas54
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 9, 2014
      Hi all.  I have a Bucc180 with an electric trolling motor for auxilliary power.  It does not have enough power.  What hp would you recommend for this size boat.  Thanks.

      Dan Douglas
    • bob.sparks@rocketmail.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 10, 2014
        Lightest 3hp or less you can find with a long shaft if possible as the extra depth helps when you reverse to slow down you don't back wash yourself. There is a guy at my marina with a similar sized boat who motors around at good speed then does the twist the motor 180 to stop and he uses a 1.5.
      • buck4ua
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 4, 2014
          I have a 55 lb thrust trolling motor on mine and, while it doesn't by any means make a wake, it moves the boat well enough for me to get to where I'm going. It's not annoyingly slow but bearable. I bought it from bass pro...

          http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Prowler-TSW55/36B-Transom-Mount-Saltwater-Trolling-Motor/product/1305160802096/

          Thanks, JB
        • drdouglas54
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 8 9:42 AM
            Thanks for the advice on the motor.  I bought a used 2.7 hp 2 stroke Cruise and Carry motor.  It is light and should work well.  I have not had the boat out yet this season, but soon... I am making a few repairs to it.  Maybe this weekend???
            Dan
          • bob.sparks@rocketmail.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 9 4:52 AM
              Glad to hear it. Now is the best sailing. Alot of repairs can be done at the dock.