Volvo Penta MB2/50S

  • keith.vonderhulls
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 16, 2013
      So I've determined that the inboard in my 255 is a Volvo Penta 50S, which uses gas, not diesel, as I had originally thought.

      I posted a pic of the motor. It looks practically mint. The water pump must have gone out on it very early on in its life.

      Anyhow...I found the workshop manual. I posted it in the Files section. The drive shaft/water pump looks like it will be pretty easy to rebuild. Looks like the problem will be finding parts.
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 17, 2013
        Interesting!  I have not encountered a gas burning Volvo Penta before.

        Andrew

        So I've determined that the inboard in my 255 is a Volvo Penta 50S, which uses gas, not diesel, as I had originally thought.

        I posted a pic of the motor. It looks practically mint. The water pump must have gone out on it very early on in its life.

        Anyhow...I found the workshop manual. I posted it in the Files section. The drive shaft/water pump looks like it will be pretty easy to rebuild. Looks like the problem will be finding parts.

      • Carl
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 17, 2013
          I got the same motor in my 255.  I just went thru it.  I had to make a few parts.  I also matched up bearings and seals to generic ones.  You can still get water pump impellers from Europe! I bought two off of ebay.

          I also added a starter/generator to it!

          It is a very quiet and smooth motor.  I like it

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Sep 16, 2013, at 3:42 PM, "keith.vonderhulls" <keith.vonderhulls@...> wrote:

          So I've determined that the inboard in my 255 is a Volvo Penta 50S, which uses gas, not diesel, as I had originally thought.

          I posted a pic of the motor. It looks practically mint. The water pump must have gone out on it very early on in its life.

          Anyhow...I found the workshop manual. I posted it in the Files section. The drive shaft/water pump looks like it will be pretty easy to rebuild. Looks like the problem will be finding parts.

        • ranger50
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 5 3:12 AM
            Keith,
            Did you sell your sailboat?  I am curious.  Think I found you original owner!
            Chris
            budvar@...