Re: First post: Hello

  • keith.vonderhulls
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 6, 2013
      The extra long shaft OB I have on there now is in plenty deep, but I'm way inland so it's just rivers and lakes for me. I imagine it would not do well in swells. I just use it to get in and out of the marina which is good because if I give it a bit of throttle, it pushes up against the rudder and I can't turn.

      Does the IB serve as a generator or alternator as well?

      I've seen the manual for the Volvo Penta MD6A. I'm not sure if it's what I have, but the pump assembly is different. Similar though. A very simply device. My problem looks to be that I need a coupler to connect the pump drive shaft to the impeller and some sort of connector/coupler to connect the outlet of the impeller case to the intake pipe. And a couple bolts to attach the impeller case to the prop shaft.

      It looks like the most difficult part will be putting it back together. The intake pipe is rigid. Unless it connects to the impeller by a length of flexible hose, I have no idea how it's supposed to fit together without just dumb luck when you put the prop shaft back on.

      Thanks for the tip on West Marine. I'll figure out what model engine I have and give them a call. It would be really nice to have the IB working. I paid as much for the OB as I did for the whole damn boat/trailer. I could sell the OB and I wouldn't have the stupid starter battery taking up space in my cockpit either.

      > Welcome to the group!
      >
      > I have an older 240 instead of the 245 with the inboard diesel, so if the numbers are similar I would guess the 250 is without inboard and thre 255 is with one.  I bet Phil knows so maybe he will comment.  This new Yahoo is giving some of us Phil included FITS.
      >
      > Yes the Buccaneer transom sits high and  the previous owner constructed a motor well in the stern of my 240 to mount an OB in front of the rudder.  He said a motor on the transom did not bite the water enough to suite hil and often the prop was lifted clear by the swells.
      >
      > If I had the 245 with the Diesel inboard i would certainly fix it even tho it is costly.  They last almost the life of the boat.  On some old boats folks have replaced the integral prop shaft with pump with a new stuffing box and seals with shaft only and instead made another thru hull for water inlet and added a pump to the engine.  I like this arrangement better.  I dont know whether it has been done to a Buccaneer but I have seen this done to an Alberg 30.
      >
      > Prop shaft assemblies come in a range of sizes and are not a Bayliner part.  They used standard parts.  You should be able to get a replacement with ot without integral pump.  You are correct they are not necessarily a Volvo thing.  Volvo handles the engine and gearbox.
      >
      > I would gibe a cll to WEST Marine and talk to someone about the shaft and possible kit.  If they dont have it they will refer you.
      >
      > Andrew
      >

      > ________________________________

    • ranger50
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 6, 2013
        Glad you found the place, Keith!

        Don’t lose faith.  You got a great deal.  Hang in there.  She’s going to need a little TLC, but what
        boat (or wife) doesn’t?

        Also check out the magazine “Good Old Boat”.  Think Barnes and Noble carries it at the Mall.  There
        is a book, bit pricey, but well worth it called “This Old Boat”.  It will guide you through most everything
        you need to bring her back to like new condition.  Think I got mine on Amazon for a good price.

        Welcome aboard.  Check out the pictures of my trial and tribulations in the photo section, Ranger50's US Yacht.

        I've also received tons of great information and help from the people here.

        Have a great weekend,

        Chris,
        Pasco, Wa.
      • Marc
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 6, 2013
          So Keith tell us where do you hail from? Me I'm in the Northwest... Puget Sound.

          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 7, 2013
            Welcome to the group Keith. The hin numbers on the transom will tell you what kind of boat you have. Post those numbers and we will let you know. Also on the title if you live in a title state. They will have the Hin numbers which will give you the year and model. If your boat looks like Chris's boat the you have a US 25.
            Once again welcome.
            Charlie.
            BTW, please post some photos of your rig for raising the mast.

            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 7, 2013
              Most Inboards have a generator or alternator and so will charge batteries.  The old Volvo 1M would even hand crank in a pinch with no batterywhich is a real plus.  Most Outboards charge but have a low capacity and are only good to charge a single starting battery not a battery bank of a few hundred amperes.

              There is a kit to build a DC charger with a B&S 3.5+ HP engine and alternator to put out 30 to over 100A depending on your choice of alternator.  O bought one to make my own and it will be mounted in a weatherproof box on my motorwell cover in the stern.  Besides charging I can start ot up and run my microwave to bake something for 30 minutes without depleting my battery bank.

              Read about the kit I bought here at epicenter
              http://www.theepicenter.com//tow082099.html

              I am still onland but it puts out as promised and I have even welded with it.

              Andrew

              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 9, 2013
                I don't see an electric start for my IB anywhere, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have one. I discover something new about the boat every time I take her out. The choke and pull line are located just inside the cabin between the steps. That would be a real PITA if I had to start the motor in an emergency.

                I still haven't figured out what model engine I have, but that's because I haven't looked yet. I did go on the Marine West website. I couldn't find anything that looked exactly like it would fit my water pump, but I guess all I really need is the impeller and shaft and I did see some parts that look like what I need. I can make my own gaskets and I'm sure I can find some screws that match. And I'm not sure if the water pump connects to the engine via a rubber hose, but I don't see why it can't.

                I've been thinking about getting a solar charging kit to keep the battery charged. I just need it to start the motor, work the stereo, and run the lights.

                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 9, 2013
                  I'll be taking the mast down here soon. My 10 consecutive days at the public marina are about up. I'll be sure to take some pics of the process. It's exactly the same as raising it, only in reverse.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 9, 2013
                    I'm in WA State as well, but on the other side. I'm in Richland, so the Columbia River is where I do my sailing.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 9, 2013
                      Hi Chris,

                      Looks like you did a lot of work. The light on my mast needs to be repaired. Did you redo the wiring in your mast? I need to replace the cover on the port light too. t works, but the color has faded and now it's just a white light. I guess I could just cover the inside with some of that red tape for repairing busted tail lights.

                      Did your US25 not come with an IB originally? It looks like you've got two sun windows that aren't on mine. Aside from that, they look identical in every way....at least what I can see from your pics.

                      It's been calm here the last week, but we got some good wind Saturday afternoon and I really got a chance to finally put her through her paces. The rigging all seems to be in good condition. The pulleys are a little sticky from the fine dust that gets in everything around here and the ropes are a little stiff from not being used for so long, which has made sailing in a light breeze somewhat difficult, but it wasn't an issue in strong wind.

                      If I can get the engine working, she really doesn't need that much work. Mostly she just needs a good cleaning. The previous owner obviously keep the boat uncovered under a large elm tree, which was good because it kept the sun damage to a minimum, but I've had to remove a lot of decaying elm seeds. They've gotten into every imaginable nook and cranny, and there's a lot of nooks and crannies on a boat.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 10, 2013
                        A lot of vintage boats had the motor controls next to the entry steps.  some were electric start back then without a key usually a starter push button and a kill switch..  In the 60s and 70s I think the Volvo diesel was most common and there are several models.  The most common gas engine of that period seems to be the Atomic 4

                        Which model Buccaneer do you have?

                        I added a solar kit and changed all my lights to the new Hi Power LED types which are very low drain.  I like it.

                        Andrew

                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 10, 2013
                          I'm still not 100% certain which model I have, but I think it's the 255.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 16, 2013
                            I posted a pic of the A-frame in my photo album.

                            It's a fairly simple device. I built it using stuff I could find at Home Depot. I connect the two ends of the base of the frame to the boat via the brackets where the front side guide wires connect. I used door hinges with rounded corners and large cotter pins to give it something to pivot on.

                            At the top of the frame I attached a loop to each leg at a point where they were close enough to get a cable ring through both.

                            Then I connect the front guide wire of the mast to this ring. I needed to use a 6' extension, so the extension is actually connected to the ring and the front guide wire is connected to the extension. But the idea is that the mast is ultimately being raised or lowered by the front guide wire.

                            From there, you just need to run a cable from the ring at the top of the frame to your winch. I used 14' 2x4s and I really don't even need a winch. I could pull it up fairly easily with just a pair of gloves. If I was to do it again, I'd use 12' boards. My winch is clamped to the door of my truck bed, so I don't want to put a lot of stress on it, but if I had a fancy front mounted winch, I'd use 10' boards. This is my second A-frame. I built the first with 8' boards. It didn't provide enough leverage.