Companionway leaks

  • bayliner.bill
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 5 4:54 PM
      I have a 240 which has a lot of space between the intersection of the companionway hatch and the door. Rain beats into the boat. There must be someone out there who has licked this problem . Any suggestions?
    • Lisa Lindell
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 6 4:30 AM
        We've put a cover over ours.   It drapes down over the hatchway & is secured on deck.   When you are in the cabin you pull it down & close the hatch.

        Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do.  So throw off the bowlines; sail away from the safe harbor; catch the trade winds in your sails.  Explore.  Dream.  Discover.  - Mark Twain
        Lisa Lindell
        www.myspace.com/stevelindellband

        I have a 240 which has a lot of space between the intersection of the companionway hatch and the door. Rain beats into the boat. There must be someone out there who has licked this problem . Any suggestions?

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            mailto:BaylinerBuccaneerGroup-digest@yahoogroups.com
            mailto:BaylinerBuccaneerGroup-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Phil Collins
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 6 11:51 AM
          Usually the drop boards are high enough the hatch barely clears, or even needs a little 'lift' to slide over the top of the top board.
          Never had a drop of rain come in any of my hatches.

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 7 5:26 PM
            Hi, Phil, Tug and Lisa. Thanks for your comments on my post. I took some pics today to illustrate the problem. They are in the PHOTOS Gallery under B240 Character. Any further comments would be much appreciated. Bill
          • Lisa Lindell
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 8 4:32 AM
              Bill, from the pix you have on the site it looks like a piece on the bottom of the hatch is missing but that could just be because it doesn't fit tight.    Like I said in the previous post, we cover ours.   I had a piece of white canvas that had a window in it lying around the garage; it had gromets in it so it was an ideal "fix" for the leak problem.

              I'll see if my wife will take pix & we'll post them.

              Steve Lindell

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 9 12:24 PM
                The sliding hatch isn't coming aft far enough. It should overlap the drop board and the side boards that the drop boards slide into, not be (more or less) flush with it.
                Just put a spacer on the hasp, so that when you slide the hatch aft it overlaps.

                I stuck a pic in your folder - it shows a spacer on the hasp. (The hatch setup is different, it has a lexan slider, but it overlaps the hatch board by about 3/4". It's the only boat I have on hand with a hatch installed, the others are disassembled or don't have hatches.)

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 9 12:41 PM
                  I found an old pic from my derelict Bucc 220- the hasp isn't installed but you can see how the hatch overlaps the drop board - in fact it must be slightly lifted over the drop board as you slide it aft.
                  Never had a hatch leak and this is how they're done.
                  (pic in your folder)
                • bayliner.bill
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 9 5:27 PM
                    I see your point and will try to modify. I'll post the result. Thanks for all your help.