Bilge water down into keel

  • mtbn_97004
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 12, 2009
      I've been stripping all the rotten wood out of my Beasty and found a spot at the rear of the pocket for the lead ballast that looks like when they shot it at the factory with the chpper gun it did not get rolled or squeegeed very well and all the fiber was just sitting there like a wad of loose hair. While poking around in this area I cleared out a hole and noticed it was pretty wet, so I rigged up the shop vac with a piece of clear 3/4 in. hose and jammed it down in the hole as far as I could get it. When I turned in the shop vac it sucked up about 3gallons of REALLY NASTY smelly black water. (don't know if it will ever be the same again) This prompted me to remove all the urethane foam in the keel trench (which turned out to be pretty wet.
      Now I'm wondering what my next step should be. Should I remove the glass covering the lead ballast, or can I just leave the tail end of the keel open and keep sucking up any water that flows back to the tail when I lift the front end ( I forgot to mention it's sitting on a trailer) and try blowing air down in there to dry it out? (I have a squirrel cage fan I can put in there for that).
      Any one else ever have this problem?
      Any suggestions?
      All help appreciated
      Thanks