Re: Mast raised successfuklly on my 240 this time

    Message 1 of 19 , May 1, 2013

      Hello its Me Andrew!

      I bought the Buccaneer 24    because it is based on the Columbia hull design by Alan Payne and is a seaworthy design and Buccaneer was known for having a lot od space below.  The brochure says it has the space of most 26 footers in a 24.  It is a tough little boat that i decided to fix up for extended single handing in the Caribbean and hopefully one Atlantic crossing to the Azores and the Mediterranean and back.  Most cruisers say this is generally favorable sailing during the better weather season.  The smallest boat to do this was 10 foot long Yankee Girl which sailed from the Chesapeak bay to Fallmouth England!

      AT LAST I finally took a few pictures of my boat this morning.  The boat is untidy due to construction on it but I will start cleaning that up today as the rear bulkheads and motor compartment wood will be done.  It is on the final finishing up stage with more than 90% finished.  I have the license but the numbers are not yet applied to the sides of the bow.

      Here is the boat with the mast up.  A 24 footer sounds small to go on the ocean.. small until you stand next to it or raise the tall mast up!

      Side view showing the small 'bolt on' cuddy cabin I am building over the stern.  It supports 6 solar panels on the roof and offers me shelter from bad weather during long hours steering at the helm.  It can be unbolted and removed leaving only minor touch up to restore the boat to its original Buccaneer cockpit.

      From the starboard (left) bow you can see the forward cuddy cabin windows that allow vision past the bow on either side from within.  You can see it does not stick up very high and will not affect handling of the boat very much.

      Close up of the rear cabin from the starboard side.  A pop-up hatch cover goes over the center and raises 16 inches more and lowers to batten down in bad weather.  Raised I will have 360 degrees of vision out the side slot.  The cover supports 2 solar panels on it.

      From the top of the deck looking back at the cabin you can see there are 2 solar panels on either side and 2 more will be on the hatch cover.  The front door remains open from the line below the oval windows to the floor which constantly drains off to the rear down into the motor well and the sea.  A truck mudflap hanging from th4 seat acts as a baffle keeping water from splashing on the engine and protects against a following sea from backing up into the cockpit... however a Buccaneer has such high freeboard I am not much worried about that.

      The Cabin is 12 inches high from the side deck and 24 inches high from the seat.  There is a pedestal and wheel that installs in the middle of the floor in the cabin.  I can sit behind it much like driving a riding lawnmower ... perfect for an old guy like me  LOL

      In the absolute worst weather i have only to cross 3 feet of open deck between the main cabin doorway and the small 'bolt on' after cabin.  IT DID remove a lot of the open space on deck to carry passengers, but sailing alone on the sea i was looking for comfort and safety for myself first..  Originally it carried 6 passengers in the cockpit.. now it carries 3 comfortably.. a seat outside the window on each side and a seat to steer in the rear center with lots of storage there in a hold on either side.  There is also a seat inside the window on either side for a short person to sit.  i will set a small camp stove there to have hot tea in bad weather.  There is a complete kitchen (galley) and dining table below in the main cabin.

      I will start tidying up today and will have some more pictures by next week with most in place I hope.

      Regards,

      Andrew

        Message 3 of 19 , May 1, 2013
          The cuddy side and rear windows were from a land RV and were heavy tempered glass.. TOO HEAVY.. the rear window alone weighed over 50 pounds.. so i had a glass place replace the tempered glass with 1/4" plexiglass.  The cuddy cabin does not interfere with the water tightnress of the cockpit anyway.

          Yes the Buccaneer windows are all Lexan and in a rubber ring that installs like a VW windshield.  There is a metal pressure ring that hammers into a groove in the outer rubber side to make it seal tight.  I removed the metal ring and put sealer under the rubber on the outside and then hammered the metal rings inplace with a rubber mallet.

          Andrew

          Message 4 of 19 , May 1, 2013
            That outta do it!  It would be like trying to sail swiss cheese if all those windows broke out in heavy sees.

            Oh, and dont forget to bring a good sea anchor.  You will want to heave-to a few times during your passage for sure.  Especially in storm conditions.

            Sounds like it will be a great time!

            Sent from my iPhone

            Message 5 of 19 , May 1, 2013
              It doesn't really matter - If a wave hits hard enough that the portlights are an issue, the whole structure will cave in and wash away. Probably a good thing.

              I've been there, solid water is awe inspiring. TONS of water smashing over the deck at 20+ mph is like being hit by a car.

              --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, Carl <carl_muehlenbeck@...> wrote:

              > Are those windows lexan? Just a thought, broken port lights have sunk the mightiest yachts, like the "Trashman". If they are acrylic or glass, you may want to relace them with lexan MR10 before you set out.
              >
              > Sent from my iPhone

            • Davis Kyle

                Message 7 of 19 , May 1, 2013
                  No but really, FRP has much more fracture toughness than glass or acrylic.  So, gotta make sure the basics are covered, that is...no possible way there are holes in the boat!  Check the campanion way hatch and forward hatch toughness too.  And secure the lazerette hatch.  Wouldn't want to become shark food just because a hatch blew away or a window kicked in.  I know it sounds simple, but if the boat is water tight, you will survive no matter what is thrown at you.  Even in a Bucc 240!  I have read a few stories about this.
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 1, 2013
                    Yes i sailed a  homebuilt 26 ft sharpie all around the Caribbean and Central America coastline before.  i seem to see a lot of dorish lines in the bottom of the 240 hull.. beamy, slight rocker and the lines remind me a little of a Cape Dory 25.  If I sail the 240 carefully like a sharpie and reef and heave to like you say I think i can go almost anywhere that any 24 footer could go.

                    yeah.. I NEVER saw a boat with as many windows as a Buccaneer!

                    Andrew

                    Message 9 of 19 , May 1, 2013
                      I have made some patches of plywood covered with rubber that i can put ove the outside rubber ring and a cross piece goes over SS bolts with wingnuts inside,  All those windows were the thing that worried me the most  LOL  My sharpie only had 4 round portlights.

                      Andrew

                      Message 10 of 19 , May 1, 2013
                        Thanks it has been a long climb becauise i got a boat with a lot of hidden dry rot ion the owener added sections.  The original Bayliner construction was all like new.  The boat has speny 80% of her life parked on her trailer.

                        Message 11 of 19 , May 1, 2013
                          In previous posts I have detailed how i have beefed up the boat with all cabinetry attached to the hull with epoxy fillets and with new deck hardware and fast draining cockpit and new thru hulls.

                          Andrew

                          Message 12 of 19 , May 2, 2013
                            Cool!  The hull structure should survive the journey to davey jones locker if a hatch hinge breaks.

                            Sent from my iPhone

                            Message 13 of 19 , May 2, 2013
                              The front hinged hatch is almost new and the rear hatch is sliding wood and fiberglass.  I have been working on this 240 for over 18 months now and have replaced everything that appeared damaged, worn, corroded or simplay outdated.  The methods i used to beef-up hull strength are outlined in John Vigor's book "Twenty Small Sailboats to Take You Anywhere" (available on Amazon)  In it he details the process for making a Catalina 27 into a blue water cruiser.

                              The Buccaneer 240 is basically a sound boat which is suitable for any coastal cruising or short voyages like Island Hopping the Caribbean just as it came from the factory.  The stiffening and adjustments I have made should make it fine for extended voyages of a few weeks duration.

                              I am guessing because it is the first Buccaneer I have ever owned.  However it dioes seem to be as well constructed as the Columbia it was copied from and they are tough boats.

                              Andrew

                              Message 14 of 19 , May 2, 2013

                                If I had to pick the number one thing I do not like about the 240, it would probably be that the keel is rather fragile and hollow. Some people have reported it cracked or broke when they ran onto something... a common issue with boats.  I wish it were a solid bolt on like the CAL-29 but it is still a good boat used with common sense and reasonable care.  Other than that the high freeboard and too many fragile windows would be the rest of my complaint... but I am basically happy with the overall craftsmanship abnd design of her.

                                Message 15 of 19 , May 2, 2013
                                  I meant to type CAL-20