Re: [BaylinerBuccaneerGroup] Re: spreader issues

  • Mike Allison
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 10, 2013
      > Upon removing the upper shrouds, had difficulty removing the
      line from
      > one of the spreaders. Basically, the plastic end piece on the
      spreader
      > (part that holds the wire) was brittle and partially broke off.
      It

      href="http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/23878320/sn/1160563624/name/spreader1.jpg">http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/23878320/sn/1160563624/name/spreader1.jpg>
      href="http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/23878320/sn/1475115183/name/spreader2.jpg">http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/23878320/sn/1475115183/name/spreader2.jpg>

      > On a side note, next will remove the furler from the forestay
      so can
      > take the forestay to the rigger. looks like fun.
      >
      > Thanks all!
      >
      > Chris

      src="mailbox:///C:/Users/Mike/AppData/Roaming/Thunderbird/Profiles/tbso0k1b.default/Mail/pop.googlemail.com/Drafts?number=80988&s=97359714/grpId=23878320/grpspId=1705065792/msgId=3284/stime=1365604405" width="1" height="1">
      Here is a link to a simple spreader tip. Would not be hard to make yourself.

      http://www.westcoastsailing.net/default/90016.html

      You may also be able to use the one from the other side to make a mold to form a new one with.
      Maybe epoxy and chopped fiber glass.

      Here is a link to replacing plastic tips with metal tips.
      http://veejay505.wordpress.com/2012/11/01/replacing-the-spreader-tips/

      Mike Allison (North of Kansas City Mo, USA)
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 10, 2013
        For the spreader parts, try rigrite.com and dwyermast.com
        They have most common spreaders and parts.

        For dissassembling the furler, do some googling first, there's usually a trick to them which on the one hand makes it easier, and on the other, doing it wrong can often do harm.

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 10, 2013
          Use care securing the shroud to a spreader. Any edge that can chafe it will lead to failure.

          --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "charles" <adam56usa@...> wrote:

          > Hi Chris,
          > I would not worry about the end of the spreader. Just so long as you can secure the shroud with ss wire. Mine has a slot where the cable sits inside and then two small holes to run the ss safety wire. After that, I put spreader boots.
          > Do some research to find the replacement part. If not, then just secure it. You don't want that wire to come out and it will under sail.
          > Charlie

        • ranger50
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 10, 2013
            Thanks for the tips! As for the furler, did download the installation manual....you're right, looks like fun.

            Chris

            --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "PhilC" <PandD_Collins@...> wrote:

            > For the spreader parts, try rigrite.com and dwyermast.com
            > They have most common spreaders and parts.
            >
            > For dissassembling the furler, do some googling first, there's usually a trick to them which on the one hand makes it easier, and on the other, doing it wrong can often do harm.
            >
            > --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "ranger50" <budvar@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello all,
            > >
            > > Mast still down. I found a rigger in Portland. He sounded quite
            > > knowledgeable and reasonable. So derigged the mast today.
            > >
            > > Upon removing the upper shrouds, had difficulty removing the line from
            > > one of the spreaders. Basically, the plastic end piece on the spreader
            > > (part that holds the wire) was brittle and partially broke off. It
            > > still holds the wire (although didn't completely destroy the spreader
            > > endpiece trying to get it out).
            > >
            > > Is it possible to get a replacement endpiece, or should I replace the
            > > spreader?
            > >
            > > pictures: spreader
            > > <http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/23878320/sn/1160563624/name/spreader1.jpg>
            > > spreader2
            > > <http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/23878320/sn/1475115183/name/spreader2.jpg>
            > >
            > > On a side note, next will remove the furler from the forestay so can
            > > take the forestay to the rigger. looks like fun.
            > >
            > > Thanks all!
            > >
            > > Chris

          • ranger50
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 14, 2013
              --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "PhilC" <PandD_Collins@...> wrote:

              > For the spreader parts, try rigrite.com and dwyermast.com
              > They have most common spreaders and parts.

              Looks like rigrite.com has the spreader. I'll call them tomorrow. The spreader tip is a Kenyon brand. sp 2.2 nylon spreadtip k-10777p which replaces the urethane tip which is no longer made.

              Thanks!