Re: Engine Overheating Issue

  • martin29549
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 3, 2013
      Thanks for all the advice ... the impeller will be changed on Saturday and hopefully everything will be set for the race on Sunday. I probably should have replaced it a few months ago when I checked it, but since it looked okay I just replaced the gasket and left the impeller alone. I seem to go through 3 times as many gaskets as impellers when I check them.

      I don't have a hand crank, but am looking to find one somewhere just in case ... I was in a solo race last year and managed to run both the house and starter batteries too low (on the water for almost 14 hours) ... luckily I had a booster battery on board and was able to get started .. I also found out on that trip that a wire had fallen off the alternator and the batteries weren't charging .... There always seems to be "one" more thing to fix

      Martin

      > personally the Volvo Penta one and 2 cylinder models are my favorite engine.. tho I know people say they prefer Yanmar now.  I bet you have a hand crank with it!  It is a Godsend if you have ever run your batteries too far down and you are far out from land.
      >
      > I wish my 240 was the 245 with the diesel in it!
      >
      > I think I would replace the impeller anyway.  It is not a huge job on a Penta.  Check the gauge and temp sensor anyway and all connections.  I suspect Glen is right that your impeller is working intermittantkly and slipping some of the time.. or you have a seaweed clog partly blocking the flow.
      >
      > Hope you find and fix it!
      >
      > Andrew

    • David A
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 4, 2013
        I’m surprised nobody mentioned the thermostat.  It could be sticking.  When the engine gets hot enough it opens, the engine cools and it closes again starting the stick and open cycle again.  I’m not up on marine engines but on automotive engines it’s usually in a housing where the hose fastens to the engine.  Remove the housing and it’s right there.
      • Carl
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 4, 2013
          Hey all!  Just wanted you to know there is a boat angel buccaneer 30 on ebay now!  Its complete with a deep sea fishing boat swivel chair for the helmsman, and a pirates ship steering wheel.  Perfect!  Can prolly pick it up for a couple $ plus doc fees.

          It may even come with a helmet and a box of crayons!  And probably a cork to stick on your fork so you dont poke your eye out trying to eat while sailing.

          Here is the link

          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 4, 2013
            Some old vintage boats had a diesel with no battery.. they always started with a hand crank.  There was even a 1 cylinder Volvo  I forget the model.. it had a MASSIVE flywheel on the front where you inserted the hand crank.  Was low RPM with a heavy pitched prop and loved to chuch chuc chug along for hours on end.  i saw one of them in a motor fishing skiff once.

            Ask around some marina engine shops for a Penta crank.. someone must have one.

            Andrew

            Thanks for all the advice ... the impeller will be changed on Saturday and hopefully everything will be set for the race on Sunday. I probably should have replaced it a few months ago when I checked it, but since it looked okay I just replaced the gasket and left the impeller alone. I seem to go through 3 times as many gaskets as impellers when I check them.

            I don't have a hand crank, but am looking to find one somewhere just in case ... I was in a solo race last year and managed to run both the house and starter batteries too low (on the water for almost 14 hours) ... luckily I had a booster battery on board and was able to get started .. I also found out on that trip that a wire had fallen off the alternator and the batteries weren't charging .... There always seems to be "one" more thing to fix

            Martin

            > personally the Volvo Penta one and 2 cylinder models are my favorite engine.. tho I know people say they prefer Yanmar now.  I bet you have a hand crank with it!  It is a Godsend if you have ever run your batteries too far down and you are far out from land.
            >
            > I wish my 240 was the 245 with the diesel in it!
            >
            > I think I would replace the impeller anyway.  It is not a huge job on a Penta.  Check the gauge and temp sensor anyway and all connections.  I suspect Glen is right that your impeller is working intermittantkly and slipping some of the time.. or you have a seaweed clog partly blocking the flow.
            >
            > Hope you find and fix it!
            >
            > Andrew

          • martin29549
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 6, 2013
              Replaced the impeller today even though it didn't look that bad ... engine is purring along in the correct temperature range.

              The only thing I could see was one of the blades of the impeller was a little cracked, but apart from that everything was fine.

              All ready for my race tomorrow :-)

              --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "David A" <darkin99@...> wrote:

              > I'm surprised nobody mentioned the thermostat. It could be sticking. When the engine gets hot enough it opens, the engine cools and it closes again starting the stick and open cycle again. I'm not up on marine engines but on automotive engines it's usually in a housing where the hose fastens to the engine. Remove the housing and it's right there.

            • charles
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 7, 2013
                Great!!!