Engine Overheating Issue

  • martin29549
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 2, 2013
      I have a Volvo Penta MD7A 2 cylinder diesel in my Buccaneer 295.

      On Sunday after a day of sailing I started my engine for the trip into the marina. Oil pressure was good and water was coming out of the exhaust. A few minutes later the engine temperature reached the red then quickly dropped to cool, then back up again (probably about 5 seconds). The temperature gauge continued to do this for the short trip home. At the dock I again checked and there was a good water flow out of the exhaust, but the temperature continued to oscillate.

      During my spring checkout of the engine (about a month ago) I checked that the water pump impeller was in good shape and only had to replace the gasket.

      The engine has run what I consider normally up until this Sunday ... Normally is the engine slowly increases in temperature to a maximum, then drops slowly to a cooler temperature and then back up over a course of several minutes ... not the seconds I observed on my last trip out.

      Does anyone have any ideas???

      Martin
    • charles
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 3, 2013
        Martin,
        I am really not an expert but maybe the heat sensor is defective. If its intermittant like that, I would think short or bad connection. Temperature Guage. I would try that. Also a loose or bad wire. Try those things but don't leave the dock. I would speak to a marine deisel mechanic and explain what it's doing. Let us know. Also, get a manual.
        Charlie
        --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "martin29549" <martin.wedepohl@...> wrote:

        > I have a Volvo Penta MD7A 2 cylinder diesel in my Buccaneer 295.
        >
        > On Sunday after a day of sailing I started my engine for the trip into the marina. Oil pressure was good and water was coming out of the exhaust. A few minutes later the engine temperature reached the red then quickly dropped to cool, then back up again (probably about 5 seconds). The temperature gauge continued to do this for the short trip home. At the dock I again checked and there was a good water flow out of the exhaust, but the temperature continued to oscillate.
        >
        > During my spring checkout of the engine (about a month ago) I checked that the water pump impeller was in good shape and only had to replace the gasket.
        >
        > The engine has run what I consider normally up until this Sunday ... Normally is the engine slowly increases in temperature to a maximum, then drops slowly to a cooler temperature and then back up over a course of several minutes ... not the seconds I observed on my last trip out.
        >
        > Does anyone have any ideas???
        >
        > Martin

      • martin29549
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 3, 2013
          Doh ... Forgot to add the line that when I turned off the engine the temperature gauge stayed hot. Will take apart the impeller this weekend just in case it has gone, but there was a lot of water coming out of the exhaust.

          Martin

          --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "charles" <adam56usa@...> wrote:

          > Martin,
          > I am really not an expert but maybe the heat sensor is defective. If its intermittant like that, I would think short or bad connection. Temperature Guage. I would try that. Also a loose or bad wire. Try those things but don't leave the dock. I would speak to a marine deisel mechanic and explain what it's doing. Let us know. Also, get a manual.
          > Charlie
          > --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "martin29549" <martin.wedepohl@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I have a Volvo Penta MD7A 2 cylinder diesel in my Buccaneer 295.
          > >
          > > On Sunday after a day of sailing I started my engine for the trip into the marina. Oil pressure was good and water was coming out of the exhaust. A few minutes later the engine temperature reached the red then quickly dropped to cool, then back up again (probably about 5 seconds). The temperature gauge continued to do this for the short trip home. At the dock I again checked and there was a good water flow out of the exhaust, but the temperature continued to oscillate.
          > >
          > > During my spring checkout of the engine (about a month ago) I checked that the water pump impeller was in good shape and only had to replace the gasket.
          > >
          > > The engine has run what I consider normally up until this Sunday ... Normally is the engine slowly increases in temperature to a maximum, then drops slowly to a cooler temperature and then back up over a course of several minutes ... not the seconds I observed on my last trip out.
          > >
          > > Does anyone have any ideas???
          > >
          > > Martin

        • Glen Bigelow
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 3, 2013

            Several years ago, my engine started displaying the temperature oscillation you described.  My first thought was the impeller.  So, I killed the engine, broke out my tools and removed the water pump cover.  I too, examined the impeller and it looked to be in good shape, but, I decided to replace it anyway. When I fired the engine back up, it ran perfectly.  When I returned to my home slip, I gave the impeller a closer examination.  Although it looked good, I started tinkering with it and discovered the rubber paddle had actually separated from the metal core. The center pin will keep the rubber paddle from slipping part of the time, but then it will start slipping.  So, that's the pattern, hold and slip, hold and slip...resulting in the temperature oscillating.  If it were me, I would start with replacing the impeller.  If you change your impeller, I predict your problem will be resolved.

            Also, I sail in the San Francisco Bay and kelp and seaweed is always a concern.  It floats around freely throughout the bay and often it floats just below the surface, so you don’t even know you're running through a patch.  If it gets close to your intake, it will get sucked up and momentarily block your flow.  Then, it will get washed off after a few seconds, and then another can take its place causing the oscillating temperature.  I don't know the area you sail in, but if kelp or other seaweed is prevalent, then that always is a possibility.  By the way, if the engine gets as hot as you indicated, I always change my impeller afterwards.  Overheating can cause the impeller to separate from the metal core in a matter of seconds.

          • glen_bigelow
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 3, 2013
              Several years ago, my engine started displaying the temperature oscillation you described. My first thought was the impeller. So, I killed the engine, broke out my tools and removed the water pump cover. I too, examined the impeller and it looked to be in good shape, but, I decided to replace it anyway. When I fired the engine back up, it ran perfectly. When I returned to my home slip, I gave the impeller a closer examination. Although it looked good, I started tinkering with it and discovered the rubber paddle had actually separated from the metal core. I theorized the center pin was keeping the rubber paddle from slipping part of the time, but then it would start slipping. So, that's the pattern, hold and slip, hold and slip...resulting in the temperature oscillating. If it were me, I would start with replacing the impeller. If you change your impeller, I predict your problem will be resolved.

              Also, I sail in the San Francisco Bay and kelp and seaweed is always a concern. It floats around freely throughout the bay and often it floats just below the surface, so you don't even know you're running through a patch. If it gets close to your intake, it will get sucked up and momentarily block your flow. Then, it will get washed off after a few seconds, and then another can take its place causing the oscillating temperature. I don't know the area you sail in, but if kelp or other seaweed is prevalent, then that always is a possibility. By the way, if the engine gets as hot as you indicated, I always change my impeller afterwards. Overheating can cause the impeller to separate from the metal core in a matter of seconds.

              --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "martin29549" <martin.wedepohl@...> wrote:

              > I have a Volvo Penta MD7A 2 cylinder diesel in my Buccaneer 295.
              >
              > On Sunday after a day of sailing I started my engine for the trip into the marina. Oil pressure was good and water was coming out of the exhaust. A few minutes later the engine temperature reached the red then quickly dropped to cool, then back up again (probably about 5 seconds). The temperature gauge continued to do this for the short trip home. At the dock I again checked and there was a good water flow out of the exhaust, but the temperature continued to oscillate.
              >
              > During my spring checkout of the engine (about a month ago) I checked that the water pump impeller was in good shape and only had to replace the gasket.
              >
              > The engine has run what I consider normally up until this Sunday ... Normally is the engine slowly increases in temperature to a maximum, then drops slowly to a cooler temperature and then back up over a course of several minutes ... not the seconds I observed on my last trip out.
              >
              > Does anyone have any ideas???
              >
              > Martin

            • Mike
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 3, 2013
                Hi Martin

                I suspect its electrical, If your engine overheats whether bad impeller or a blockage it become very hot very fast but will not cool down quickly. A cheap $25.00 infa red gun which measures heat using a infa red beam meaning you do not need to get close to your engine, point and read the display. We use them at the auto shop all the time to quickly find out if your thermstat is working. You can quickly check the water pump inlet temp and compare it to the water exhaust side or anything else. Thats what I used to find out some of my ports were blocked. When your done on the boat, bring it home to check how well your house is insulated.

                Mike

                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 3, 2013
                  personally the Volvo Penta one and 2 cylinder models are my favorite engine.. tho I know people say they prefer Yanmar now.  I bet you have a hand crank with it!  It is a Godsend if you have ever run your batteries too far down and you are far out from land.

                  I wish my 240 was the 245 with the diesel in it!

                  I think I would replace the impeller anyway.  It is not a huge job on a Penta.  Check the gauge and temp sensor anyway and all connections.  I suspect Glen is right that your impeller is working intermittantkly and slipping some of the time.. or you have a seaweed clog partly blocking the flow.

                  Hope you find and fix it!

                  Andrew

                  Several years ago, my engine started displaying the temperature oscillation you described. My first thought was the impeller. So, I killed the engine, broke out my tools and removed the water pump cover. I too, examined the impeller and it looked to be in good shape, but, I decided to replace it anyway. When I fired the engine back up, it ran perfectly. When I returned to my home slip, I gave the impeller a closer examination. Although it looked good, I started tinkering with it and discovered the rubber paddle had actually separated from the metal core. I theorized the center pin was keeping the rubber paddle from slipping part of the time, but then it would start slipping. So, that's the pattern, hold and slip, hold and slip...resulting in the temperature oscillating. If it were me, I would start with replacing the impeller. If you change your impeller, I predict your problem will be resolved.

                  Also, I sail in the San Francisco Bay and kelp and seaweed is always a concern. It floats around freely throughout the bay and often it floats just below the surface, so you don't even know you're running through a patch. If it gets close to your intake, it will get sucked up and momentarily block your flow. Then, it will get washed off after a few seconds, and then another can take its place causing the oscillating temperature. I don't know the area you sail in, but if kelp or other seaweed is prevalent, then that always is a possibility. By the way, if the engine gets as hot as you indicated, I always change my impeller afterwards. Overheating can cause the impeller to separate from the metal core in a matter of seconds.

                  --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "martin29549" <martin.wedepohl@...> wrote:

                  > I have a Volvo Penta MD7A 2 cylinder diesel in my Buccaneer 295.
                  >
                  > On Sunday after a day of sailing I started my engine for the trip into the marina. Oil pressure was good and water was coming out of the exhaust. A few minutes later the engine temperature reached the red then quickly dropped to cool, then back up again (probably about 5 seconds). The temperature gauge continued to do this for the short trip home. At the dock I again checked and there was a good water flow out of the exhaust, but the temperature continued to oscillate.
                  >
                  > During my spring checkout of the engine (about a month ago) I checked that the water pump impeller was in good shape and only had to replace the gasket.
                  >
                  > The engine has run what I consider normally up until this Sunday ... Normally is the engine slowly increases in temperature to a maximum, then drops slowly to a cooler temperature and then back up over a course of several minutes ... not the seconds I observed on my last trip out.
                  >
                  > Does anyone have any ideas???
                  >
                  > Martin

                • martin29549
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 3, 2013
                    Thanks for all the advice ... the impeller will be changed on Saturday and hopefully everything will be set for the race on Sunday. I probably should have replaced it a few months ago when I checked it, but since it looked okay I just replaced the gasket and left the impeller alone. I seem to go through 3 times as many gaskets as impellers when I check them.

                    I don't have a hand crank, but am looking to find one somewhere just in case ... I was in a solo race last year and managed to run both the house and starter batteries too low (on the water for almost 14 hours) ... luckily I had a booster battery on board and was able to get started .. I also found out on that trip that a wire had fallen off the alternator and the batteries weren't charging .... There always seems to be "one" more thing to fix

                    Martin

                    > personally the Volvo Penta one and 2 cylinder models are my favorite engine.. tho I know people say they prefer Yanmar now.  I bet you have a hand crank with it!  It is a Godsend if you have ever run your batteries too far down and you are far out from land.
                    >
                    > I wish my 240 was the 245 with the diesel in it!
                    >
                    > I think I would replace the impeller anyway.  It is not a huge job on a Penta.  Check the gauge and temp sensor anyway and all connections.  I suspect Glen is right that your impeller is working intermittantkly and slipping some of the time.. or you have a seaweed clog partly blocking the flow.
                    >
                    > Hope you find and fix it!
                    >
                    > Andrew

                  • David A
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 4, 2013
                      I’m surprised nobody mentioned the thermostat.  It could be sticking.  When the engine gets hot enough it opens, the engine cools and it closes again starting the stick and open cycle again.  I’m not up on marine engines but on automotive engines it’s usually in a housing where the hose fastens to the engine.  Remove the housing and it’s right there.
                    • Carl
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 4, 2013
                        Hey all!  Just wanted you to know there is a boat angel buccaneer 30 on ebay now!  Its complete with a deep sea fishing boat swivel chair for the helmsman, and a pirates ship steering wheel.  Perfect!  Can prolly pick it up for a couple $ plus doc fees.

                        It may even come with a helmet and a box of crayons!  And probably a cork to stick on your fork so you dont poke your eye out trying to eat while sailing.

                        Here is the link

                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 4, 2013
                          Some old vintage boats had a diesel with no battery.. they always started with a hand crank.  There was even a 1 cylinder Volvo  I forget the model.. it had a MASSIVE flywheel on the front where you inserted the hand crank.  Was low RPM with a heavy pitched prop and loved to chuch chuc chug along for hours on end.  i saw one of them in a motor fishing skiff once.

                          Ask around some marina engine shops for a Penta crank.. someone must have one.

                          Andrew

                          Thanks for all the advice ... the impeller will be changed on Saturday and hopefully everything will be set for the race on Sunday. I probably should have replaced it a few months ago when I checked it, but since it looked okay I just replaced the gasket and left the impeller alone. I seem to go through 3 times as many gaskets as impellers when I check them.

                          I don't have a hand crank, but am looking to find one somewhere just in case ... I was in a solo race last year and managed to run both the house and starter batteries too low (on the water for almost 14 hours) ... luckily I had a booster battery on board and was able to get started .. I also found out on that trip that a wire had fallen off the alternator and the batteries weren't charging .... There always seems to be "one" more thing to fix

                          Martin

                          > personally the Volvo Penta one and 2 cylinder models are my favorite engine.. tho I know people say they prefer Yanmar now.  I bet you have a hand crank with it!  It is a Godsend if you have ever run your batteries too far down and you are far out from land.
                          >
                          > I wish my 240 was the 245 with the diesel in it!
                          >
                          > I think I would replace the impeller anyway.  It is not a huge job on a Penta.  Check the gauge and temp sensor anyway and all connections.  I suspect Glen is right that your impeller is working intermittantkly and slipping some of the time.. or you have a seaweed clog partly blocking the flow.
                          >
                          > Hope you find and fix it!
                          >
                          > Andrew

                        • martin29549
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 6, 2013
                            Replaced the impeller today even though it didn't look that bad ... engine is purring along in the correct temperature range.

                            The only thing I could see was one of the blades of the impeller was a little cracked, but apart from that everything was fine.

                            All ready for my race tomorrow :-)

                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 7, 2013
                              Great!!!