New Owner Pictures of Standing Rigging

  • ranger50
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 28, 2013
      Thanks Andrew, Phil, Charles, et. al.

      (New member.  Recently purchased and transported '82 US Yacht 25 to new home).

      I went to the slip today and removed all the bubble wrap protecting the mast.  Wanted to check out the rest of the standing rigging like you mentioned.

      Here is a picture of the forestay.  Seems intact except for where it nears the mast, it starts to unwind.  It's not rusted.  forestay

      I checked the rest of the rigging and all seemed good, no rust.  Perhaps a small bit of brown in spots possibly.  However, on one of the upper shrouds, found similar
      unraveling, about the level of the spreaders.  The other shrouds are intact and neat.  Here is that picture (both pictures in ranger50 album) upper shroud .

      I could try to sail it as is.  We would be sailing the Columbia river, gusty at times, lots of tacks trying to stay in the shipping lanes due to draft.  Dreams of crossing the graveyard of the pacific, reaching up to Straight of Juan de Fuca, and into Puget Sound....someday.  It could get us by until that day, if it ever comes.  I could also get a bigger boat by then.   We're quite inland, with minimal ability to haul boat out of water.  It might be a few years until the mast gets down again.

      Wife would kill me, but It wouldn't be all that hard to label and remove all existing standing rigging, hand deliver it to Seattle to replace.  Perhaps it would be one less thing to worry about.  Dont' mention going to Fastenal and doing all this myself.  I'm already taking on a lot by winging it.

      The only thing that bothers me is that I want to get that mast up in the worst way.  I am 200 miles inland from any reputable sailboat expert.  I'm pretty much on my own.  Don't want to get too much deeper than I already am.

      Did I make the decision already?  Remove the standing rigging and have it replaced?  It's only 6 or 8 SS wires, right?

      Thanks for letting me vent,

      Chris

    • charles
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 29, 2013
        Hi Chris,
        I replaced my back stay and the two upper shrouds for less than 300.00. There is a place in Miami, Florida called Sailing Services that ships all over the world. They did my cables. It's good that the mast is down and you're ables to see the breaks. I Would NOT sail it that way. You could loose the entire rig, including sails. What would that cost to replace? It would take less than two weeks to get the new cables. You have all summer to enjoy without having to worry if you replace them. Yesterday, I cleaned all if my other cables with water and stainless steel scrubs. Hopefully I will raise the mast today. I will post a photo of the rig I made to raise it. The winch cost me 16.00 on Craigslist and another 10 for the 2x4, eye bolts and u bolt.
        I recommend you replace the cables now. Otherwise you will be asking where to get a mast and new sails. That would cost more than the boat.
        Charlie
        --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "ranger50" <ranger50@...> wrote:

        > Thanks Andrew, Phil, Charles, et. al.
        >
        > (New member. Recently purchased and transported '82 US Yacht 25 to new
        > home).
        >
        > I went to the slip today and removed all the bubble wrap protecting the
        > mast. Wanted to check out the rest of the standing rigging like you
        > mentioned.
        >
        > Here is a picture of the forestay. Seems intact except for where it
        > nears the mast, it starts to unwind. It's not rusted. forestay
        > <http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/23878320/hr/869952044/name/boat+forestay.j\
        > pg>
        >
        > I checked the rest of the rigging and all seemed good, no rust. Perhaps
        > a small bit of brown in spots possibly. However, on one of the upper
        > shrouds, found similar
        > unraveling, about the level of the spreaders. The other shrouds are
        > intact and neat. Here is that picture (both pictures in ranger50 album)
        > upper shroud
        > <http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/23878320/hr/931904294/name/boat+upper+shro\
        > ud.jpg> .
        >
        > I could try to sail it as is. We would be sailing the Columbia river,
        > gusty at times, lots of tacks trying to stay in the shipping lanes due
        > to draft. Dreams of crossing the graveyard of the pacific, reaching up
        > to Straight of Juan de Fuca, and into Puget Sound....someday. It could
        > get us by until that day, if it ever comes. I could also get a bigger
        > boat by then. We're quite inland, with minimal ability to haul boat
        > out of water. It might be a few years until the mast gets down again.
        >
        > Wife would kill me, but It wouldn't be all that hard to label and remove
        > all existing standing rigging, hand deliver it to Seattle to replace.
        > Perhaps it would be one less thing to worry about. Dont' mention going
        > to Fastenal and doing all this myself. I'm already taking on a lot by
        > winging it.
        >
        > The only thing that bothers me is that I want to get that mast up in the
        > worst way. I am 200 miles inland from any reputable sailboat expert.
        > I'm pretty much on my own. Don't want to get too much deeper than I
        > already am.
        >
        > Did I make the decision already? Remove the standing rigging and have
        > it replaced? It's only 6 or 8 SS wires, right?
        >
        > Thanks for letting me vent,
        >
        > Chris

      • budvar
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 29, 2013
          Hi Charlie,

          Thanks for helping me make the decision.  I’ve contacted a rigging outfit in Seattle (140 miles from here).  Best bet would be for me to label everything, deliver it personally, then return with new standing rigging and replace while I still remember how it goes!  Now just have to convince the wife.

          --- In mailto:BaylinerBuccaneerGroup%40yahoogroups.com, "ranger50" <ranger50@...> wrote:

          > Thanks Andrew, Phil,
          Charles, et. al.

          > (New member. Recently purchased and
          transported '82 US Yacht 25 to new
          > home).
          >
          > I went to the
          slip today and removed all the bubble wrap protecting the
          > mast. Wanted
          to check out the rest of the standing rigging like you

          mentioned.

          > Here is a picture of the forestay. Seems intact
          except for where it
          > nears the mast, it starts to unwind. It's not
          rusted. forestay
          > <
          href="http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/23878320/hr/869952044/name/boat+forestay.j">http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/23878320/hr/869952044/name/boat+forestay.j\

          pg>

          > I checked the rest of the rigging and all seemed good,
          no rust. Perhaps
          > a small bit of brown in spots possibly. However, on one
          of the upper
          > shrouds, found similar
          > unraveling, about the level
          of the spreaders. The other shrouds are
          > intact and neat. Here is that
          picture (both pictures in ranger50 album)
          > upper shroud
          > <
          href="http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/23878320/hr/931904294/name/boat+upper+shro">http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/23878320/hr/931904294/name/boat+upper+shro\

          ud.jpg> .

          > I could try to sail it as is. We would be sailing
          the Columbia river,
          > gusty at times, lots of tacks trying to stay in the
          shipping lanes due
          > to draft. Dreams of crossing the graveyard of the
          pacific, reaching up
          > to Straight of Juan de Fuca, and into Puget
          Sound....someday. It could
          > get us by until that day, if it ever comes. I
          could also get a bigger
          > boat by then. We're quite inland, with minimal
          ability to haul boat
          > out of water. It might be a few years until the
          mast gets down again.

          > Wife would kill me, but It wouldn't be
          all that hard to label and remove
          > all existing standing rigging, hand
          deliver it to Seattle to replace.
          > Perhaps it would be one less thing to
          worry about. Dont' mention going
          > to Fastenal and doing all this myself.
          I'm already taking on a lot by
          > winging it.
          >
          > The only
          thing that bothers me is that I want to get that mast up in the
          > worst
          way. I am 200 miles inland from any reputable sailboat expert.
          > I'm
          pretty much on my own. Don't want to get too much deeper than I
          > already
          am.

          > Did I make the decision already? Remove the standing
          rigging and have
          > it replaced? It's only 6 or 8 SS wires, right?
          >
          > Thanks for letting me vent,

          Chris

          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 29, 2013
            Rigging these days is Stainless Steel and it doesnt rust like older galvanized wire rope.  Iy may tarnish slightly depending on the grade of stainless.  Fraying or strands coming unraveled near the fittings to me are a sign of previous excessive strain or that the swagging of those end fittings may have suffered internally.  Wire rigging rarely breaks somewhere in the middle.  Failure usually occurrs at or inside the swagged (crimped on) turnbuckles and eyes of the ends.

            It would no doubt survive a test sail or  light day sailing but really I would recommend you replace the whole lot.  As Phil mentioned it is something which gets done about onc e every 10 years anyway and chances are that rigging might even be original.

            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 29, 2013
              I wrote down the lengths of mine when i took it apart and then i had an idea which piece went where.  I had some eccentricitues.. my mast step had been changes and a riser block put inder it which mane all my rigging longer than factory specs.

              Thanks for helping me make the decision.  I’ve contacted a rigging outfit in Seattle (140 miles from here).  Best bet would be for me to label everything, deliver it personally, then return with new standing rigging and replace while I still remember how it goes!  Now just have to convince the wife.

              Chris

              I replaced my back stay and the two upper shrouds for less than 300.00. There is a place in Miami, Florida called Sailing Services that ships all over the world. They did my cables. It's good that the mast is down and you're ables to see the breaks. I Would NOT sail it that way. You could loose the entire rig, including sails. What would that cost to replace? It would take less than two weeks to get the new cables. You have all summer to enjoy without having to worry if you replace them. Yesterday, I cleaned all if my other cables with water and stainless steel scrubs. Hopefully I will raise the mast today. I will post a photo of the rig I made to raise it. The winch cost me 16.00 on Craigslist and another 10 for the 2x4, eye bolts and u bolt.
              I recommend you replace the cables now. Otherwise you will be asking where to get a mast and new sails. That would cost more than the boat.
              Charlie
              --- In mailto:BaylinerBuccaneerGroup%40yahoogroups.com, "ranger50" <ranger50@...> wrote:

              > Thanks Andrew, Phil,
              Charles, et. al.

              > (New member. Recently purchased and
              transported '82 US Yacht 25 to new
              > home).
              >
              > I went to the
              slip today and removed all the bubble wrap protecting the
              > mast. Wanted
              to check out the rest of the standing rigging like you

              mentioned.

              > Here is a picture of the forestay. Seems intact
              except for where it
              > nears the mast, it starts to unwind. It's not
              rusted. forestay
              > <http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/23878320/hr/869952044/name/boat+forestay.j
              Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (3)
              Recent Activity:
              .

            • bob.sparks@rocketmail.com
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 29, 2013
                Years ago all masts were stayed with rope. If you had rope the same breaking strength as the cable you could have two forestays one of rope and the original. But the one stay I would least likely want to lose is the forestay as the mast would fall towards the crew. So if you are like me and couldn't wait till you had new ones I am sure you could rig something as strong but ugly, temporarily.

                I would definitely not put to sea with what the picture shows.

                Look at the you tube videos of people using a gin pole to raise and lower the mast. You should not be intimidated by raising and lowering the mast. I know I was for years for no good reason.

                Bob

                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 29, 2013
                  NO.
                  You can't.
                  That is not an option. That forestay is COMPLETELY shot!

                  One broken strand on a shroud *might* be okay for a while (but the uppers are the more highly loaded, so I think not) but NOT the forestay.

                  If the forestay goes, the mast falls aft - onto the cockpit.
                  It may or may not damage the mast.
                  It may or may not damage the mainsail.
                  It may or may not hurt or even kill someone.

                  If the upper shroud goes, the mast bends over sideways and usually buckles about halfway between the shrouds and the base.
                  Time for new mast.
                  Generally it tears up the mainsail too, often beyond repair.
                  It may or may not do other collateral damage.

                  Is it really worth the risk?

                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 29, 2013
                    You will not be finding rigging wire and terminals at Fastenal.
                    You'll need to get the proper parts from a rigging supplier. Don't be tempted to 'cheap out' - there are no shortcuts that work.
                    The standing rigging is what makes the boat go. It would be like putting sawdust in your worn out engine to stop the leaks. Would it work properly? Would it last very long? OR would it come to a grinding halt and leave you and your family on the side of the road, probably at night, in a bad neighborhood, in a snowstorm.

                    Considering the price of a boat, upkeep (replacement sails now and then, replacement running rigging occasionally, slip fees, bottom paint, etc etc) the cost of new standing rigging is not high.
                    Probably around $1000 at West Marine Rigging, half that probably anywhere else. (Yes, I hate Worst Marine)

                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 29, 2013
                      Where on the Columbia will you be sailing?
                      Are you new to sailing, or new to the Columbia.
                      I have considerable experience on the Columbia. I've sailed it a lot, from Astoria to the Dalles. Also up farther, between Hermiston and Tri Cities. (I live in Eugene btw.)

                      You can get SLAMMED, in minutes. You cannot rely on "only going out when it's nice." And with the big winds come big waves, which get steep against the current. The combination of big winds and slamming into waves is HELL on the rigging.

                      Example 1:
                      41 footer based in Portland. We had done a race to St Helens and back. Gave up on the return leg as there was not enough wind to beat the current and motored home. The wind came up just as we entered the marina. It went from 2-3 knots to this
                      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BaylinerBuccaneerGroup/photos/album/781256484/pic/1621157101/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=21&count=20&dir=asc
                      suddenly, and the only warning we got was the wind line coming up the river - about 2 minutes. We would have been fine, we race that boat in the ocean (anywhere from SanFran to Victoria BC, we love ocean racing...) but it was fierce out and we were happy to be inside and dry having a beer.

                      Example 2:
                      The Corps of Engineers rebuilt the dam that creates our lake, so we had no water that year. Our Fleet was hosting the Santana 20 Nationals that year, so we moved the regatta to Cascade Locks. This is group of well prepared boats, with very high caliber sailors in it. HALF the fleet suffered rig failures of some kind during the 4 days of racing. Between the big winds and slamming into big waves, (and capsize and broaches) shrouds parted, masts broke, rudders broke... The River especially up the Gorge a ways can be serious good fun. ANd hell on boats.

                      Here's another account of racing on the Columbia for folks reading pleasure:
                      http://www.signaldesign.net/doubledamned.html
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 29, 2013
                        Take photos of the connections before you take it apart.
                        Picture is worth 1000 words type of thing...

                        --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "budvar" <budvar@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Charlie,
                        >
                        > Thanks for helping me make the decision. I’ve contacted a rigging outfit in Seattle (140 miles from here). Best bet would be for me to label everything, deliver it personally, then return with new standing rigging and replace while I still remember how it goes! Now just have to convince the wife.
                        >
                        > Chris

                      • charles
                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 29, 2013
                          The lower shrouds have two sizes. The one aft is longer and should be put into the higher of the two. It's only a few inches but mark it for aft. I am posting a photo of the gin pole I made to raise the mast. Get a couple of buddies to help you raise it. It might be a good time to check the bolts that go through the tabernacle plate. Mine were leaking really bad. Also check your chain plates. Replace all the Clevis pins and the cotter pins. Very inexpensive. I didn't replace the turnbuckles just cleaned them up. I would remove the mast step and caulk it reall good. This is something that you should do for sure. Check my photos at (my bucc or us 25).

                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 29, 2013
                            YES... funny you shioukld mention that!

                            I have built 4 boats so far before buying this Bucc 240  factory boat.  $ is counting the very first one.. a 19 ft grand banks dory we Boy Scouts built together in the early 1960s.  It was either row or sail and the mast was ingeniously made from one of the long 14ft oars..  The was put down \through a hole in a forward seat and into a block with a hole (mast step) on the keelson.  The rigging was Manila rope which is still in use so i read on line.  Tough to kill manil;a rope but hard to work the knots when it is wet.  It was tightened with hardwood blocks called deadeyes.

                            My second boat was also a grand banks dory this time 22 feet abd the rigging was \the same but I made a permanent mast of  a solid spruce pole with the top capped with a copper fitting,  My third was another Grand banks dory of 24 feet and it too had deadeyes and manila rope rigging  The first three were all balanced lug rig and this one was a gaffer.  It is the last dory I built.

                            I wanted more floor and cabin room so the last boat was a 26 foot sharpie.. a stretches 21ft Glen-L design.  I had galvanized wire rigging on that one.  Galvanized does work well and the Navy used it for years.. trouble is it has to be replaced often.. sometimes as frequently as every couple years.

                            Stainless Steel rigging has been a godsend for small sailboats and usually it will last at least 10 years between changes or longer if the boat is stored on a trailer and the rigging is washed with fresh water.

                            COOT is a vintage sharpie that is planked and rigged with deadeyes and manila rope.  She is a vintage magazine design before plywood really became common for home builders.  You can view or save the plans and articles and pics here from the Polytarp sail site.
                            http://www.polysail.com/coot.htm

                            Now some disagree with me.. but I see a lot of doryish lines in my Buccaneer 240 with rocker and beam and so on similar to a Cape Dory 25... some argue that a Cape Dory is not a dory because it does not have hard chines... LOL  But there is enough there that I am happy that it will sail well and be very stable especially if i treat her as a dory or a sharpie.  By the way.. dories and sharpies often have the same complaint of side slipping on a beam wind with a shallow keel.

                            It's fun to reminisce.

                            Andrew

                            Years ago all masts were stayed with rope. If you had rope the same breaking strength as the cable you could have two forestays one of rope and the original. But the one stay I would least likely want to lose is the forestay as the mast would fall towards the crew. So if you are like me and couldn't wait till you had new ones I am sure you could rig something as strong but ugly, temporarily.

                            I would definitely not put to sea with what the picture shows.

                            Look at the you tube videos of people using a gin pole to raise and lower the mast. You should not be intimidated by raising and lowering the mast. I know I was for years for no good reason.

                            Bob

                            --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "ranger50" <ranger50@...> wrote:

                            > Thanks Andrew, Phil, Charles, et. al.
                            >
                            > (New member. Recently purchased and transported '82 US Yacht 25 to new
                            > home).
                            >
                            > I went to the slip today and removed all the bubble wrap protecting the
                            > mast. Wanted to check out the rest of the standing rigging like you
                            > mentioned.
                            >
                            > Here is a picture of the forestay. Seems intact except for where it
                            > nears the mast, it starts to unwind. It's not rusted. forestay
                            > <http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/23878320/hr/869952044/name/boat+forestay.j Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (6)
                            Recent Activity:
                            .

                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 29, 2013
                              I recently lost control raising the mast on my 240 alone and it fell forward and crushed the pulpit, bent the chainplates and smashed my forward hatch which is glass. and did misc damage to my lifelines and deck.

                              TRUST ME  you do not want to have a mast fall  *;) winking

                              Andrew

                              That is not an option. That forestay is COMPLETELY shot!

                              One broken strand on a shroud *might* be okay for a while (but the uppers are the more highly loaded, so I think not) but NOT the forestay.

                              If the forestay goes, the mast falls aft - onto the cockpit.
                              It may or may not damage the mast.
                              It may or may not damage the mainsail.
                              It may or may not hurt or even kill someone.

                              If the upper shroud goes, the mast bends over sideways and usually buckles about halfway between the shrouds and the base.
                              Time for new mast.
                              Generally it tears up the mainsail too, often beyond repair.
                              It may or may not do other collateral damage.

                              Is it really worth the risk?

                              --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "ranger50" <ranger50@...> wrote:

                              > I could try to sail it as is.

                            • ranger50
                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 30, 2013
                                Thanks Charlie, Et al!

                                What a wealth of information from everyone. I contacted one rigging company, they thought around 2k. Holy crimany! So will try West Marine as another suggested.

                                Wife's in agreement. Now if I can get it down to the 1k or below range.

                                Thanks all!

                                --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "charles" <adam56usa@...> wrote:

                                > The lower shrouds have two sizes. The one aft is longer and should be put into the higher of the two. It's only a few inches but mark it for aft. I am posting a photo of the gin pole I made to raise the mast. Get a couple of buddies to help you raise it. It might be a good time to check the bolts that go through the tabernacle plate. Mine were leaking really bad. Also check your chain plates. Replace all the Clevis pins and the cotter pins. Very inexpensive. I didn't replace the turnbuckles just cleaned them up. I would remove the mast step and caulk it reall good. This is something that you should do for sure. Check my photos at (my bucc or us 25).
                                >
                                > --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "budvar" <budvar@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Hi Charlie,
                                > >
                                > > Thanks for helping me make the decision. I’ve contacted a rigging outfit in Seattle (140 miles from here). Best bet would be for me to label everything, deliver it personally, then return with new standing rigging and replace while I still remember how it goes! Now just have to convince the wife.
                                > >
                                > > Chris

                              • charles
                                Message 15 of 20 , Mar 30, 2013
                                  Chris,
                                  Photos I posted.
                                  the 2x4 is strapped to the mast. It is a gin pole that I rigged to raise and lower the mast. . The pole is strapped to the mast. It has a boat winch with a u bolt on bottom and an eyebolt on top. The halyard attached to the eyebolt and the winch strap passes through the u bolt and attaches to a cleat on the bow. Both the eye bolt and u bolt are about three inches from the end. The winch is about two foot from were it attaches to the mast. I used an 8 foot 2x4. Sorry the photos are not that good. If you YouTube mast raising you will find a lot of good videos. I think there are some links on this site as well.

                                • bob.sparks@rocketmail.com
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Mar 30, 2013
                                    I got a single inner stay done for around 70. Sounds like they are up selling you.

                                  • ranger50
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Mar 30, 2013
                                      Thanks Charles. Great pictures. The original jpg size is large, so the detail is very nice and explains a lot.

                                      Bob....think you are right. I'm still looking.

                                      Chris

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Mar 30, 2013
                                        I have always fopund West Marine a tad expensive...  You might take your cables with you to a big marina and they can measure and make them up.. most marinsa have a rigger on hand or available.

                                      • bob.sparks@rocketmail.com
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Mar 31, 2013
                                          I got the work done at Sailcraft in Oriental NC. The Town is full of marinas and shops but only Sailcraft had an actual swag machine so all the other guys I suspect would subcontract to Sailcraft. Needless to say Sailcraft offered me a better price.

                                          http://www.sailcraftserviceboatyard.com/

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Mar 31, 2013
                                            Also try riggingonly.com