New Owner

  • ranger50
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 26, 2013
      Hello,

      Chris from S.E. Washington State, on the Columbia River. It was so nice to finally find a website/forum devoted to the Bayliner boats.

      I am the most recent owner of Chinook, an '82 US Yacht 25', out of Seattle. She seems in good shape for her age, will post a picture of her in the photo section.

      She's in a slip, with the mast down presently. I'm figuring the best way to raise it, as well as contemplating running coaxial cable for future VH1. The halyards run inside the mast. Wondering if I would run into any problems running coax inside say 3/4 plastic conduit, as I've read about elsewhere. Also looking into where I could install the antenna, as the fore and aftstay lines go all the way to the top of the mast, not leaving much room for a side mount.

      Anyway, look forward to reading the other posts here and gleaning any info.

      Thanks!

      Chris
      budvar@ charter.net
    • blue_heron_210
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 26, 2013
        Welcome Chris,

        Congratulations on the purchase of your Buc and finding this sight. I bought my 210 in February and joined then. I haven't been out on mine yet, scheduled launch day is 4 April, weather cooperating, if things go well I'll have photos and hopefully a video as well. Good luck on finding your mast raising video, post photos when you have a chance so we can check out your Chinook. Best of luck. John.

        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 26, 2013
          Welcome Chris..

          You might be interested to see your US 25 specs on sailboat data here
          http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=506

          I have its older predecessor the Buccaneer 240 a 24 footer.

          Andrew

          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 26, 2013
            The 240 is not a predecessor of the 250.
            The US22 and 25, which are the Bucc220 and 250, were concurrently produced alongside the 210/240/280 models. Different models entirely aimed at different buyers. Kinda like the Dodge Dart and Dodge Caravan are different models, neither was a predecessor to the other, no common lineage... ;-)

            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 26, 2013
              Hi Chris!

              You can indeed run the coax inside a small diameter plastic tube. Some mast extrusions even have a 'track' that is designed to hold a split tube. I'd go with the smallest size feasible.

              Raising the mast on the boat on the water... It is doable.
              Easiest would be if there is a dockside mast crane available. Pull alongside and raise the mast. You slide it aft and connect it to the mast base. Be sure the shrouds are connected correctly, check the spreaders etc, watch the turnbuckle toggles for twists, and hoist the mast. When it's up connect the forestay, which ever.

              If I were to do it on the water, I would use the primary winches. I'd get a couple of helpers, preferably those who are familiar with mast raising. First I'd make darn sure the jib halyard is really good. Not 'aged out' and ready to break under load. Make sure it's cleated off on the mast near the base (there's bound to be a cleat handy.) Then I would rig a block (need a good sturdy one) at eh bow, centered (and don't attach it to the pulpit, it's not sturdy enough) and use the halyard with a line added to it, run through the block and back to the winch. Have someone lift the mast up while someone else winches. After the initial lift, as high as you can, it shoud be possible to winch it up the rest of the way. Easiest is to keep lifting while the winch guy keeps winching. Really you can lift it without the winch, the winch is mostly for safety. The third guy is extra hands and needs to help keep the mast from swinging side to side while it goes up. EVeryone should try not to rock the boat...

              You could actually make an A-frame stabilizer ahead of time, handy to keep the mast from going side to side, but not strictly needed for this size mast. (Andres is just a wimp...)
              2 of us used to "hand up" a mast that size (actually 2 feet taller! I just checked) regularly.
              I was 6'-4 and and skinny (so not a muscle man) and he was gray haired and shortish (not a muscular dude either.) We did it 10-12 times a season to go to regattas and had no problems.
              The hardest part is the initial lift, up to 'over your head.' From there it is progressively easier.
              We would both lift it up to over our heads, and then alternate moving forward "walking it up" then when it was up, one would hold it while the other attached the forestay. We grunted, but we never strained a nut... Made the beer taste better.
              BUT - we always did this on the trailer, so the boat rocking was not an issue.

              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 26, 2013
                I meant to add -
                On a mast this size it's not really necessary to put the coax in a tube. I don't I've ever seen it done on boats this small. But it won't really hurt anything. Listening to it slap around inside the mast is another story...

                There should be no problem attaching a bracket to the top, either on the top fitting or the side. It really shouldn't interfere with the rig or the halyards. I'd remove the mast head and look inside while I was at it, not just for the antenna mounting needs but for a look-see to make sure no maintenance is needed.

                Unless you really need the range, a pulpit mount antenna is great on small boats. Less hassle when stepping/unstepping the mast.

                --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "PhilC" <PandD_Collins@...> wrote:

                > Hi Chris!
                >
                > You can indeed run the coax inside a small diameter plastic tube. Some mast extrusions even have a 'track' that is designed to hold a split tube. I'd go with the smallest size feasible.
              • Jim Smith
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 26, 2013
                  Hi Phil,

                  Thank You for the detailed advice.  I am off to work not (nite shift), can't write much, but appreciate the sage advice.  We would get along,
                  esp. regarding the beer.

                  There is a boom truck operator that offered his services,  I will see what he's asking, and if he can get close enough to the water to help.

                  Either the fore or aft stay wire is unstranded  just a bit, wonder if I should get to it now or if it can wait.  Will post a picture when able.

                  Thanks again,

                  Chris
                  budvar@...

                  On a mast this size it's not really necessary to put the coax in a tube. I don't I've ever seen it done on boats this small. But it won't really hurt anything. Listening to it slap around inside the mast is another story...

                  There should be no problem attaching a bracket to the top, either on the top fitting or the side. It really shouldn't interfere with the rig or the halyards. I'd remove the mast head and look inside while I was at it, not just for the antenna mounting needs but for a look-see to make sure no maintenance is needed.

                  Unless you really need the range, a pulpit mount antenna is great on small boats. Less hassle when stepping/unstepping the mast.

                  --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "PhilC" <PandD_Collins@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Chris!
                  >
                  > You can indeed run the coax inside a small diameter plastic tube. Some mast extrusions even have a 'track' that is designed to hold a split tube. I'd go with the smallest size feasible.

                • Carl Muehlenbeck
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 26, 2013
                    Soooo glad you sent this message, Phil C.  Almost made me throw up when i read it.

                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 26, 2013
                      My Bad!  I thought that US Yachts was a later company version from Bayliner,

                      Andrew

                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 26, 2013
                        Ha Ha Ha.. I am sorry if my mistaken comment gave anyone nausia and indigestion.

                        I had read somewhere in an article about Buccaneers that the earlier Bayliner later sold out the line to US Yachts and so I was visualizing 2 companies sequential not parallel to each other.  I see now that sailboat data says US Yachts was a separate division owned by Bayliner

                        It Sounds a lot like Columbia and Coronado which also coexisted at the same time.

                        Andrew

                        Soooo glad you sent this message, Phil C.  Almost made me throw up when i read it.

                        The 240 is not a predecessor of the 250.
                        The US22 and 25, which are the Bucc220 and 250, were concurrently produced alongside the 210/240/280 models. Different models entirely aimed at different buyers. Kinda like the Dodge Dart and Dodge Caravan are different models, neither was a predecessor to the other, no common lineage... ;-)

                        --- In mailto:BaylinerBuccaneerGroup%40yahoogroups.com, Andres Espino <ima_very_cool_cowboy@...> wrote:

                        > Welcome Chris..
                        >
                        > You might be interested to see your US 25 specs on sailboat data here
                        > http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=506
                        >

                        > I have its older predecessor the Buccaneer 240 a 24 footer.
                        >
                        > Andrew

                      • charles
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 27, 2013
                          Welcome to the group. I also have a 1981 US Yacht. Great boat. I lowered my mast using a 2x4 with an ordinary boat trailer winch. I mounted the winch on the 2x4 and also two u bolts. I am raising my mast G-D willing this Friday. I will take photos. My antenna and windex are both mounted on the top of the mast. The antenna has a side mount bracket and the windex is mounted on a plate mounted on the top of the mast. It is on the plate so that it won't hit the antenna. I will take photos of that also. Check all of your shrouds before raising. Also clean them real good. I put Vaseline on them and the turnbuckles.

                          --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "ranger50" <ranger50@...> wrote:

                          > Hello,
                          >
                          > Chris from S.E. Washington State, on the Columbia River. It was so nice to finally find a website/forum devoted to the Bayliner boats.
                          >
                          > I am the most recent owner of Chinook, an '82 US Yacht 25', out of Seattle. She seems in good shape for her age, will post a picture of her in the photo section.
                          >
                          > She's in a slip, with the mast down presently. I'm figuring the best way to raise it, as well as contemplating running coaxial cable for future VH1. The halyards run inside the mast. Wondering if I would run into any problems running coax inside say 3/4 plastic conduit, as I've read about elsewhere. Also looking into where I could install the antenna, as the fore and aftstay lines go all the way to the top of the mast, not leaving much room for a side mount.
                          >
                          > Anyway, look forward to reading the other posts here and gleaning any info.
                          >
                          > Thanks!
                          >
                          > Chris
                          > budvar@ charter.net

                        • Carl

                            Soooo glad you sent this message, Phil C.  Almost made me throw up when i read it.

                            The 240 is not a predecessor of the 250.
                            The US22 and 25, which are the Bucc220 and 250, were concurrently produced alongside the 210/240/280 models. Different models entirely aimed at different buyers. Kinda like the Dodge Dart and Dodge Caravan are different models, neither was a predecessor to the other, no common lineage... ;-)

                            --- In mailto:BaylinerBuccaneerGroup%40yahoogroups.com, Andres Espino <ima_very_cool_cowboy@...> wrote:

                            > Welcome Chris..
                            >
                            > You might be interested to see your US 25 specs on sailboat data here
                            > http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=506
                            >

                            > I have its older predecessor the Buccaneer 240 a 24 footer.
                            >
                            > Andrew

                          • ranger50
                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 27, 2013
                              Nice to see. Thanks for the advice from everyone. I actually do have a question about either the fore or aftstay. It's starting to unwind at the top of the mast. I'll take a picture and post it, see if warrants replacing. Am sure it's original.

                              Chris

                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 27, 2013
                                They are usually swagged (crimped hydraulically) onto the fitting.. Any serious corrosion or fraying is a sign it is time to replace the standing rigging.  It is only a few hundred dollars to have all of it remade and shipped to you.  You can restring the mast yourself it all attaches with clevis pins.  You can get by with replacing the damaged one but it is a matter of time and you will have to do them all anyway.

                                Andrew

                                Nice to see. Thanks for the advice from everyone. I actually do have a question about either the fore or aftstay. It's starting to unwind at the top of the mast. I'll take a picture and post it, see if warrants replacing. Am sure it's original.

                                Chris

                                --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, Carl <carl_muehlenbeck@...> wrote:

                                > Its more about the pedigrees. Bayliner built some Gary Mull and Doug Peterson designed boats under the buccaneer name along side those double row window power boat condos with a mast. But, hey, it kept the value down. So you can get an awesome pure bred for almost free! (US 22, 25, 27 and 29)
                                >
                                > Sent from my iPhone
                                >
                                > On Mar 26, 2013, at 9:15 PM, Andres Espino <ima_very_cool_cowboy@...> wrote:
                                >
                                > > Ha Ha Ha.. I am sorry if my mistaken comment gave anyone nausia and indigestion.
                                > >
                                > > I had read somewhere in an article about Buccaneers that the earlier Bayliner later sold out the line to US Yachts and so I was visualizing 2 companies sequential not parallel to each other. I see now that sailboat data says US Yachts was a separate division owned by Bayliner
                                > >
                                > > It Sounds a lot like Columbia and Coronado which also coexisted at the same time.
                                > >
                                > > Andrew

                              • charles
                                Message 15 of 18 , Mar 27, 2013
                                  Chris, saw the photos you posted. Fine looking boat. I posted some photos today showing the antenna and windex. They are under My Buck or US 25

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Mar 27, 2013
                                    It can NOT wait! A mast coming down will ruin your day...

                                    I would check the rigging thoroughly, all of it, very carefully.
                                    If the rig is old, when one goes, the rest are surely not far behind. Maybe you'll get lucky and just the one was damaged somehow rather than failed due to age.

                                    It used to be recommended to replace standing rigging every 10 years. Heavy use in a salt environment - that is still good advice. But light use and especially away from salt, we all know that 30 years is not uncommon. Of course, these boats are that old now.

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Mar 27, 2013
                                      Stainless steel must have access to the air or it will corrode.
                                      I would not put anything on stainless that could block air.
                                      Note that some of the older Buccs had bronze turnbuckles.
                                      For the turnbuckle threads only, a tiny amount of lanolin works great.
                                      But even that is not needed, I have never lubed any of my stainless threads and never had an issue. One caveat - I am mostly a racing sailor so my rigging gets tuned frequently (even on the cruising boats, I just have to tinker...) If the rig isn't touched for years on end, corrosion in the threads is probably more likely.

                                      Clean them (if stainless) with pure fresh water and they'll be fine.

                                      How to tell if the rig is simply old?
                                      Aside from a magnifying glass examination near the swaged terminations (end fittings) looking for any signs of cracking, same with the turnbuckles and the end fittings themselves. This should be done each season. But for pure age guesstimation, eventually stainless will turn a bit brown. Look for it nearest the terminations. If it just wipes off with a damp towel and the stainless is shiny again, it was dirty. If the stainless itself is brown, it's old. Takes about 30 years for this to happen usually. The problem with "browned" rigging is it's more brittle than when new. So instead of a strand or three breaking and giving you fair warning, it's likely to fail catastrophically. And of course, Murphy's Law applies aggressively to sailboats, it will happen at a very bad time.

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Mar 27, 2013
                                        Yes, and Mull and Petersen weren't paid for their work either. Ancient history, but in yacht design world there's still a bad taste there.