Re: Fw: [BaylinerBuccaneerGroup] Batten Question for 240

    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 21, 2013
      hanks that would be great and much appreciated!

      Thanks again!

      Andrew

      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 25, 2013
        They should not. It is quite rare for different size battens to be used on the same sail, mostly seen on square top mains where the angled top batten is different from the others.
        Width I mean, not length. It is (duh) VERy common to need different lengths for each batten...

        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 25, 2013
          Yes I am going by the drawing of the 240 which shows 4 pockets.  My main is still in the sail bag where it has resided inside the prev owners house.

          Sailrite shows the batten thickness to be all 1/8in and so the width and length and taper if there is one are the questions.

          My last homebuilt sharpy of Glen-L design was a gaffer and the main had no battens at all.  Eventually I added lazy jacks and full length battens like a junk but without all those lines on the ends.  It did not affect the performance because I could not tack closer than 50 degrees to windward to begin with.

          This 240 is the first Marconi rig I have ever had and so the first sail with battens in pockets.

          I am about to raise the mast AGAIN.. it fell on me raising alone in December and did over $300 in damage.  I will not listen to those who said walk it up its light etc  LOL  THIS TIME I am building a standing A-Frame.  The main mast does only weigh about 70lbs but when attached to the mast step and lifting that 25 foot long pole from the lower end that upper end is incredibly heavy.

          BUT then on a calm day I will load the main and see how it fits and so on.  Then i will measure the pockets.  I am in the AZ desert with rocks and dirt and cactus and other thorny stuff and I do not have a safe place to stretch my sail out on the ground.