Fw: [BaylinerBuccaneerGroup] Batten Question for 240

  • Jbc
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 20, 2013
      All four were originally bamboo material (wooden)...I still have all originals, and in perfect shape.

      Going to the boat this weekend and will measure and take pictures if you'd like.

      Jack
      'Viajera' (The Time Capsule)

      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 20, 2013
        Interesting.
        Did you buy the boat new?
        The reason I ask, is I have never seen bamboo (or wood of any type)battens. (Well, at least, not since the 1950s..) The sails provided with even the oldest Buccs would have been fiberglass.

        But I have used bamboo rods for a -temporary- batten, works quite well if you can find one the right size/stiffness.

        Sailrite has batten material by the foot in all the popular sizes.

        --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, Jbc <c670cj@...> wrote:

        > All four were originally bamboo material (wooden)...I still have all originals, and in perfect shape.
        >
        > Going to the boat this weekend and will measure and take pictures if you'd like.
        >
        > Jack
        > 'Viajera' (The Time Capsule)

      • Jbc
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 20, 2013
          Yes I did...1976. The sails were cut in Hong Kong...I had to replace the letters on the main and the North Sails guy said they were well made sails from a well known manufacturer. And the battens were each bamboo, nicely varnished and tapered at each end. All true. And the sails are still in use, quite crisp and white, and still very serviceable ...

          ------------------------------
          On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 7:07 PM CDT PhilC wrote:

          >Interesting.
          >Did you buy the boat new?
          >The reason I ask, is I have never seen bamboo (or wood of any type)battens. (Well, at least, not since the 1950s..) The sails provided with even the oldest Buccs would have been fiberglass.
          >
          >But I have used bamboo rods for a -temporary- batten, works quite well if you can find one the right size/stiffness.
          >
          >Sailrite has batten material by the foot in all the popular sizes.
          >
          >--- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, Jbc <c670cj@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> All four were originally bamboo material (wooden)...I still have all originals, and in perfect shape.
          >>
          >> Going to the boat this weekend and will measure and take pictures if you'd like.
          >>
          >> Jack
          >> 'Viajera' (The Time Capsule)

        • Jbc
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 20, 2013
            I should have said the battens are tapered at one end...just want to be accurate.

            ------------------------------

            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 20, 2013
              Thanks I forgot about sailrite.. I checked defender and they have premade fiberglass battens of medium stiffness and sold by their width and length.

              The one batten I have that came with the sail is wood.. looks like teak and maybe owner fabricated out of teak stock.  It is the small one near the head of the sail and looks similar to a paint stirring stick with the edges of it having been rounded.

              I want to fit the sail with proper size fiberglass battens

              Thanks,

              Andrew

              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 20, 2013
                THAT SailRite stuff looks Amazing!  Also they will send long pieces coiled but warn you against injury because when released they open like a steel spring with great force.  This does mena no oversize shipping charges tho!

                http://www.sailrite.com/Batten-Pultruded-Material-1-5-8

                Back up a page to select other sizes.

                With this stuff I only need to trace my pocket and make each one to fit.. sand and smooth the edges.

                Thanks Again!

                Andrew

                The reason I ask, is I have never seen bamboo (or wood of any type)battens. (Well, at least, not since the 1950s..) The sails provided with even the oldest Buccs would have been fiberglass.

                But I have used bamboo rods for a -temporary- batten, works quite well if you can find one the right size/stiffness.

                Sailrite has batten material by the foot in all the popular sizes.

                --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, Jbc <c670cj@...> wrote:

                > All four were originally bamboo material (wooden)...I still have all originals, and in perfect shape.
                >
                > Going to the boat this weekend and will measure and take pictures if you'd like.
                >
                > Jack
                > 'Viajera' (The Time Capsule)

              • Jbc
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 21, 2013
                  Andres:

                  I will assume then that you will not need anything further from me on the batten issue, n'est pas?

                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 21, 2013
                    If you add up all the measurements, you can order one long piece. They coil it up and put it in a box.

                    When you cut them, tape them at the cut, then cut through the tape.
                    After sanding the ends smooth, if you have some fiberglass resin, you can seal the ends with it. You can do it with super glue also. No need if you have batten end caps.

                    BUT - Shipping for short battens isn't a big deal - it's when you have a full battened sail and the battens are more than 8' long (I have a couple with 9' battens!) - the shipping then gets expensive real fast!

                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 21, 2013
                      Pretty cool!
                      That is something which today could be good for mfrs to re-discover. Bamboo being "green" and all..

                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 21, 2013
                        The thing is i do not know whether each of my pockets takes a different width and length of batten....  Having dimensions will save a lot of trial and error fitting.

                        Andrew

                        If you add up all the measurements, you can order one long piece. They coil it up and put it in a box.

                        When you cut them, tape them at the cut, then cut through the tape.
                        After sanding the ends smooth, if you have some fiberglass resin, you can seal the ends with it. You can do it with super glue also. No need if you have batten end caps.

                        BUT - Shipping for short battens isn't a big deal - it's when you have a full battened sail and the battens are more than 8' long (I have a couple with 9' battens!) - the shipping then gets expensive real fast!

                        > THAT SailRite stuff looks Amazing!  Also they will send long pieces coiled but warn you against injury because when released they open like a steel spring with great force.  This does mena no oversize shipping charges tho!
                        >
                        > http://www.sailrite.com/Batten-Pultruded-Material-1-5-8
                        >

                        > Back up a page to select other sizes.
                        >
                        > With this stuff I only need to trace my pocket and make each one to fit.. sand and smooth the edges.
                        >
                        > Thanks Again!
                        >
                        > Andrew
                        >

                        > ________________________________

                      • Jbc
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 21, 2013
                          width is the same throughout....lengths of course vary.
                          I have them separated in the cabin so its easy to measure.
                          JC

                          --- In mailto:BaylinerBuccaneerGroup%40yahoogroups.com, Andres Espino <ima_very_cool_cowboy@...> wrote: > > THAT SailRite stuff looks Amazing!  Also they will send long pieces coiled but warn you against injury because when released they open like a steel spring with great force.  This does mena no oversize shipping charges tho! > > http://www.sailrite.com/Batten-Pultruded-Material-1-5-8 > > > Back up a page to select other sizes. > > With this stuff I only need to trace my pocket and make each one to fit.. sand and smooth the edges. > > Thanks Again! > > Andrew > > > ________________________________ > From: PhilC <PandD_Collins@...> > To: mailto:BaylinerBuccaneerGroup%40yahoogroups.com > Sent: Wednesday, March 20, 2013 5:07 PM > Subject: Re: Fw: [BaylinerBuccaneerGroup] Batten Question for 240 > > >   > Interesting. > Did you buy the boat new? > The reason I ask, is I have never seen bamboo (or wood of any type)battens. (Well, at least, not since the 1950s..) The sails provided with even the oldest Buccs would have been fiberglass. > > But I have used bamboo rods for a -temporary- batten, works quite well if you can find one the right size/stiffness. > > Sailrite has batten material by the foot in all the popular sizes. > > --- In mailto:BaylinerBuccaneerGroup%40yahoogroups.com, Jbc <c670cj@> wrote: > > > > All four were originally bamboo material (wooden)...I still have all originals, and in perfect shape. > >   > > Going to the boat this weekend and will measure and take pictures if you'd like. > >   > > Jack > > 'Viajera' (The Time Capsule) > > > > ----- Forwarded Message ----- > > From: Andres Espino <ima_very_cool_cowboy@> > > To: "BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@...@yahoogroups.com> > > Sent: Wednesday, March 20, 2013 11:38 AM > > Subject: [BaylinerBuccaneerGroup] Batten Question for 240 > > > >   > > > > Hello Folks, > > > > Question for 240 owners! > > > > > > In going over my sails I see most of my Mainsail battens are missing!  All but 1 actually, and I see no size on it.  The mauinsail takes 4 battens.. anyone know what sizes they are and the numbers of them? > > > > Thanks, > > > > Andrew > > >
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 21, 2013
                            hanks that would be great and much appreciated!

                            Thanks again!

                            Andrew

                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 25, 2013
                              They should not. It is quite rare for different size battens to be used on the same sail, mostly seen on square top mains where the angled top batten is different from the others.
                              Width I mean, not length. It is (duh) VERy common to need different lengths for each batten...

                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 25, 2013
                                Yes I am going by the drawing of the 240 which shows 4 pockets.  My main is still in the sail bag where it has resided inside the prev owners house.

                                Sailrite shows the batten thickness to be all 1/8in and so the width and length and taper if there is one are the questions.

                                My last homebuilt sharpy of Glen-L design was a gaffer and the main had no battens at all.  Eventually I added lazy jacks and full length battens like a junk but without all those lines on the ends.  It did not affect the performance because I could not tack closer than 50 degrees to windward to begin with.

                                This 240 is the first Marconi rig I have ever had and so the first sail with battens in pockets.

                                I am about to raise the mast AGAIN.. it fell on me raising alone in December and did over $300 in damage.  I will not listen to those who said walk it up its light etc  LOL  THIS TIME I am building a standing A-Frame.  The main mast does only weigh about 70lbs but when attached to the mast step and lifting that 25 foot long pole from the lower end that upper end is incredibly heavy.

                                BUT then on a calm day I will load the main and see how it fits and so on.  Then i will measure the pockets.  I am in the AZ desert with rocks and dirt and cactus and other thorny stuff and I do not have a safe place to stretch my sail out on the ground.

                                Andrew