New Buccaneer Owner

  • blue_heron_210
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2013
      Greetings fellow Buc owners, just wanted to introduce myself. Recently I was lured to the dark side, according to all the reviews I have read, and purchased a 1974 Bayliner Buccaneer 210. I originally owned a Gale Force 20 with a cuddy cabin for three years, moved up to a Catalina 22 with a pop top last year and last month stumbled across Blue Heron. Upon seeing the Craigslist ad and researching the cabin height I called on her, talked to the owner on a Thursday night, put my Catalina up for sale Friday morning and sold it that afternoon, went and looked at Blue Heron on Saturday morning and bought her. The previous owner had her for 18 years and obviously devoted a lot of loving care to her, he had replaced the standing rigging and halyards in 2010, new roller furling, furling line and fairleads, boom vang, depth finder, solar vent fan and much more in 2012. Needless to say I fell in love with her and feel like all the stars were aligned for getting her, the real good news is I am keeping her at the Marina, previous owner bought new boat and is staying there so I can lean on him for her nuances and quirks, there is another 210 at Marina so I feel real comfortable. The only bad news is I have to wait another month to put her in the water, until then I have uploaded a few photos and will update occasionally as I finish a few small projects I want to do on her.
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2013
        Hi and welcome!  I have the 240.

        Actually the 200 series of Buccaneers is a well liked and sturdy boat.  There was one major incident with a model 180 which was overloaded, but Bayliner fixed the problem after that.
        Here is the sailboat data page for your boat
        http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=120

        The hull for the BUCCANEER 200, 210, 240, and 245 all derive from a mold(s) 'splashed' from a COLUMBIA 23T. which was designed for Columbia by Alan Payne whose designs are all well regarded.  There were some bad politics involved in Columbia allowing Bayliner to copy the hull mold.. a deal made under the table which cut Alan Payne out of all royalties.  Some hard feelings toward Bayliner and Buccaneer existed after that even to this day but it does not represent the seaworthiness of the boats.  With a ballast of 900lbs this is a stable and good handling boat.  We have several 210 owners here in the group.

        Andrew

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2013

          Thanks for the information, I wasn't real worried about what I read online, none of the negative was from an owner. The condition of a 39 year old boat sold me on her, she is more than twice the boat my Catalina 22 was, I'm really excited to get out and learn her ways. I can tell you it was phenomenal to step into her cabin after basically walking on my knees in the Catalina.

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 2, 2013
            I borrowed a Ctalina 22 and the amazing thing was it SANG when the boat was underway and the keel winch cable was the right tension.  Some people complain about it.. I rather liked that it 'hummed along'

            I prefer a fixed keel to a swing keel any day tho my last sharpie had a swing keel and performed quite well.  This 240 is a very solid boat.

            Andrew

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 3, 2013
              My Catalina sang also, it really was quite discomforting until I researched and found this to be common among them. Most of the time I sailed with it up for the peace and quiet.

              I'm looking forward to learning sailing with a fixed keel, I know from what I've read the Buccaneers are prone to drifting leeward, but my Catalina did that with keel up.

              I looked at some 240's online but none were close to where I live though. They did seem to be nice and solid built boats. That's the thing I can say for this boat, she appears to be strongly built and her deck showed no softness anywhere unlike my Catalina which was rotten.

              Good news is in three weeks our Marina opens up for launching.

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 3, 2013
                I found myself humming along with it a lot.  LOL

                Most shoal draught boats do drift a bit to leeward but not enough to be a huge inconvenience.  The 240 like I have was most noted for it because of its high freeboard and beamy shape.  i do not see it as a big problem for a 210

                Andrew