Re: [BaylinerBuccaneerGroup] (unknown)

  • Bob Evans
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 16 8:34 AM
      Is there any way to moderate this person and stop this kind of SPAM????

    • Andres
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 16 9:08 AM
        Sorry Folks... Looks lIke Val's emaiol has been hacked!  I have put it on moderation and will only let sailing posts thru.  Usually this foils the hackers and the account clears up in a couple weeks.  Auto robot spam programs will remove that account as not working  LOL

        Andrew

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 16 12:16 PM
          I took care of it already Bob.

          What happens is that Hackers use programs called BOTS to infiltrate groups and steal someone's email address and then send out spam under their ID,  I own and moderate in other groups and it is an ongoing challenge.

          It is no longer fair to immediately Ban someone so I moderate them  I discovered that the Robot programs test and if an email address does not work they drop it from their program list.  Usually in a couple of weeks they are no longer spamming a group with that email and I can take the person off moderation as if nothing happened.

          Andtrew

          Is there any way to moderate this person and stop this kind of SPAM????

          On Jan 16, 2013, at 4:17 AM, Val Bisagni wrote:

          http://www.mekhano.com/forum/mxpnt.php !

        • Bob Evans

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 16 7:00 PM
              There are groups (I belong to a few now) in which there are no moderators only a group owner who usually does nothing.  Anyone can join without a question...

              see we ask a question because BOTS do not know how to fake that.. they cannot generate a human response.  If I get one that simply says add me.. no way Jose  LOL  By doing this we stop a lot before they even get access.

              I am one of several who moderate in pelican-sail and we have a good control in that group... but the Old group pelicansailboats is full of spam because it is only the owner who does nothing in there since we are all migrated to the new group.  The old group is kept for all the files and pics stored in there.

              Finally there is one more thing.  Sometimes they steal someones email address and the spam does not even come through the group,  The spam inserts [BaylinerBuccaneerGroup] in the subject line so personal email thinks it comes from the group.  I usually log onto the group page and see whether the spam is also present in the group messages.  Sometimes like in this case it was.. but sometimes it is not,  That means they are spamming you directly with a false label in the subject line using someone's email they have stolen.

              It is sort of like Online Identity Theft!

              IF you get one like this (present in your email but not in the group page) you can block that sender ID and report it to YAHOO by clicking SPAM on your email page and it will not affect you receiving normal group postings.  Yahoo will take issue with them.

              Thanks Bob for your interest in the group and we hope it is both informative and fun.  Phil and a couple others are real Buccaneer Gurus.. maybe you are one.  I joined because I am refurbishing a 1974 Bucc 240.. and it has been a real adventure believe you me!  LOL

              Refresh us and tell us a little about your boat if you have one.. we would love to hear about what you have.

              Regards,

              Andrew

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 16 7:36 PM
                Hello Andrew and group,
                I am new to the group.  I had a B210 for years.  Sailed the CA Delta from the Stockton sailing Club.  After many years with the B210 I decided to move to a larger boat.  I had several including an Islander 33, and a Bristol 29.  My long distance plans fell apart, and I did not enjoy my deep keel boats in the CA Delta.  About 5 years ago I bought a Contest Conyplex 30 and started a grueling restoration project.  After several years and several thousand dollars I sold my nearly complete boat.  I had turned 71 and the love was gone for the restoration.  I wanted another Buccaneer.  I suits all my needs.  Shoal draft keel for the shallow Delta waters, enough people and storage room for an extended sail, and a fun boat.  I looked at several.  I settled on a B-240.  I have paid for it but not seen it, yet.  Heavy on the "yet".  Some of you may know the boat.  She has spent most of her life in the Pacific Northwest.  Been to Alaska twice.  The boat ended up near Reno on a trailer for several years.  After many pictures and a couple of meetings with the owner, I bought her.  But, she's snowed in.  No worries.  I winter in AZ, so will pick her up in the spring and berth her at the Stockton Sailing Club.  I expect to spend many, many days on the Delta enjoying my new to me Buccaneer 240, complete with all the stuff including roller furling head sail, a new thing for me.  Next year I will pull her down to AZ in September, sail on some of the local lakes, then go to Lake Havasu for Trailer Boats week.  Maybe pull her south for a week or two or three in the Sea of Cortez.  That's about as far ahead as an about to be 73 year old should schedule.  But, each successful season allows scheduling of another season in the future.  There is always the thought of hearing the San Juan's and Gulf Islands calling my name.  If so, I'll put Tortuga the trailer and be on my way.
                Okay folks, that's my story and I'm sticken' to it.  If you have any questions I'll at least consider a answer, but only if I don't have a wench handle or a soft body in my hand.
                The best to all.  Thanks for your good group.  I may be calling on you for some advise, help, or for fun.
                Bob

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 16 8:08 PM
                  Great story Bob!  Thanks for sharing!

                  I have the 240 and she is a tough little boat.  the brochure (I think it was where I saw it) sait the 240 has the space of a 26 in a 24 and i believe it. as mine is very roomy.  It is a keel boat and quite heavy but shoal draught.  It is a hollow glassed keel with weight in it and some ppl in here have reported some damage scraping bottom... I bought a depthfinder for mine.

                  The specs at sailboat data say it draws 2.5 feet at the waterline.  I am a former sharpie and dory owner and I see a lot of the Cape Dory 25 lines on the bottom.  Bayliner supposedly copied it from the Columbia 23T  here is the Sailboat Data page for the 240 and 245
                  http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=237

                  In reading it sounds like the 240 and 270 are about the two most popular of the original Bayliner Buccaneers.. later they became US Yachts

                  There is a member in here I think whop mentioned once using their 240 in the north Atlantic.. somewhere near New Hampshire or Maine I think it was and said it behaved really well.

                  The 240 has high freeboard and is beamy so it is not a fast boat.  They were designed for a family cruiser and some nicknamed them the :Winnebago of The Water:  LOL

                  Andrew

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 17 1:13 PM
                    No need to worry.

                    These groups receive very little spam because of the sign up process, as Andre has mentioned. But once in a while some may come through.

                    I always check the "member's" join date and message history first, and if it is a bogus account, I bounce them permanently and delete their spam posts.

                    In this case, it is a member who has been active for 3 years and has joined discussions, so apparently his home email has been compromised. Andre has put him on moderation, and we also should send the member an email telling him he has a problem or he may never know.

                    This type of email account hacking has been getting more common in the last year or so. (Some of my forums have recently received a number of emails from friends asking for money because they had some "trouble" on "vacation" or what-have-you. Popular scam lately.)
                    Be sure you have good protection on your computer and keep it up to date.

                    Phil
                    OregonUSA