Inherited problems abd changes when I bought my Bucc 240

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 5, 2013
      I mentioned in a previous post we who bought a Buccaneer may have been hindered or inconvenienced by unorthodox things previous owners have done to the boat.  My boat has had so many alterations I have given up noting them... seems like every time I get into something there is an exception to the original.  I will start with one example and describe things the prev owner had changed, my corrections and repairs and things i have added or changed as well.  However from the side my Bucc appears unaltered in lines or appearance except a few minor hings.

      To begin with:
      A previous owner had constructed a motor well in my boat just forward of the transom and flanked by a hold on either side.  I like the idea because some Columbia boats had that feature also.  the job was well done on my boat except the owner had failed to seal all the ply with resin and so dry rot set in over the years.. What Ii thought to be superficial repairs turned into more and deeper problems as I progressed. This is what I was faced with on buying the boat.

      Port side stern

      Starboard side stern

      There is an OB in that well under what is left of that collapsed lid.  He had constructed it to be a seat and one can sit at that wheel helm like a riding mower.

      Inside the cabin which was tightly closed in a Las Vegas RV lot for 11 years.. the sun and heat had ruined the cabinetry, headliner and paint.  I had to gut it completely and start over and I followed the Buccaneer floor plan shown on sailboat data here

      http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=237

      So far the following things have been altered on this boat...

      • The cockpit cut off and shortened by 1/3
      • A motor well and 2 flanking holds added
      • The ,ast step changed and a 2in riser block put on the roof under the step..
      • A maring head and holding tank was added aft of the fwd vee births.
      • Construction of the rear transverse bed has been altered and reinforcements changed to be different.. hard to explain.
      • More Thru hulls were added.. all plastic unfortunately so I have had to replace them with bronze below the water line..
      • I had to rebuild all the electrical\
      • I patched with fiberglass 2 small soft spots in the cabin floor.
      • replaced the vinyl flooring.
      • stripped and have painted most of the inside.  i opted to leave the ceiling only paint and no headliner.  It is carpeted up to the portlights.

      In addition to repair of the above I have added a few things of my own.
      • Installed a roof beam spanning the main bulkheads to support the mast step.  There are 2x2 compression posts on both bulkheads along the door passage.
      • Rebuilt galley cabinet and has drawers and couout for stove.
      • Replaced single sink with SS double RV sink
      • Rebuilt dinette seats with storage and made a table which swings upward and secures to the underside of the handrail supports,  I can leave charts on the table and swing it up to sit and sleep on the day bed/sofa handy to the hatchway.
      • Added closed cell foam to nooks and crannies.
      • Adding 2 additional water tanks to increase range and act as ballast
      • Added 2 more batteries for a total of 3 now besides th OB which is using a small mower battery of its own in the hold by the motor well.  That is kept up by a trickle from the Bank A mains.
      • Installed instruments in the bulkhead,,,, Compass, Depthfinder, Inclinometer, Batt monitor gauge
      • repainted non-slip areas.
      • Replacing all stanchions and lifelines
      • Rebuilt entry hatch to be sealable water tight instead of the former drop boards. I can secure it and enter and exit through tioe roof hatch alone like Roger Taylor does on mingming.  I can remove my sealed hatch in calm weather or in port.  In weather it tightens down with SS bolts and wingnuts against a rubber seal around the lip like a pressure cooker.
      • Axillary steering made available in cabin if necessary..
      • Built a roller furler... How To section of the group has info and ideas.
      • rebedding all deck hardware.. incl dismantling and cleaning the winches.. had to replace broken plastic cleats.
      still fixing things as I go.  I think I am 90% restored now. My pedestal is an EDSON and I finally got the manual for it.. needed because the owner had messed with the insides of that too  Have dismantled and greased and rebuilt the pedestal but it is not reinstalled yet.  I still have to replace the handrails and all the teak trim

      Andrew

    • bob.sparks@rocketmail.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 19, 2013
        When and where is the tentative launch date?