325 owners

  • davidd
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 3, 2013
      Happy New Years to All,

      Over the weekend I (almost) finished the V-berth overhaul of my boat. Stripped the old wood liner out. Replaced the port lites, then tried to shape the spray in foam I applied earlier. Total failure. Never try spray foam in the winter, lol!. Anyway, got some Armacell 1/2 closed cell foam sheets and glued them down (after a day of removing spray foam) with Roberts fast tack carpet adhesive. Worked great. Then I covered the foam with indoor/outdoor carpet. Cozy now, and a great difference. So, has anyone attempted a replacement of the fixed port lites (approx. 6 x 19) on their 325's? Of course, mine are leaking and have been searching for (easy-in) replacements. I realize that we are a very few, select group, but would love to hear any input.
    • Paul Morf
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 4, 2013
        Hi Davidd....Not a 325 owner here but rather a 270 owner. About 10 years ago I replaced all my portlights...not inexpensive but worth it.
        Check with American Marine Products, INC. of Pompano Beach, FL
        954 782-1400. They'll send you a catalogue of their products and make portlights to order. Good luck, Paul, skipper of Fresh Gail
        out of Racine WI.

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 4, 2013
          Paul.. since we are on the topic... what do you recommend about replacing all the odd shaped portlights in a 240?  Some are irregular shape,  so would one have to buy bigger and cut the boat to fit them?  There isn't a lot of space for cutting as they are rather close together to start with.  As you know the 240 has a bunch!  I think my 240 has 12 of them

          I re-bedded mine with butyl tape and they seem not be leaking from the pressure hose test.. but they are old and due for a replacement.

          Andrew

          Hi Davidd....Not a 325 owner here but rather a 270 owner. About 10 years ago I replaced all my portlights...not inexpensive but worth it.
          Check with American Marine Products, INC. of Pompano Beach, FL
          954 782-1400. They'll send you a catalogue of their products and make portlights to order. Good luck, Paul, skipper of Fresh Gail
          out of Racine WI.
          --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "davidd" wrote:

          > Happy New Years to All,
          >
          > Over the weekend I (almost) finished the V-berth overhaul of my boat. Stripped the old wood liner out. Replaced the port lites, then tried to shape the spray in foam I applied earlier. Total failure. Never try spray foam in the winter, lol!. Anyway, got some Armacell 1/2 closed cell foam sheets and glued them down (after a day of removing spray foam) with Roberts fast tack carpet adhesive. Worked great. Then I covered the foam with indoor/outdoor carpet. Cozy now, and a great difference. So, has anyone attempted a replacement of the fixed port lites (approx. 6 x 19) on their 325's? Of course, mine are leaking and have been searching for (easy-in) replacements. I realize that we are a very few, select group, but would love to hear any input.

        • TAMUZZA
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 4, 2013

            I replaced 4 of the fixed 6x19 or around that size ports on my bucc 305 with opening ports with screens. I did have to make some cuts into the boat to make my new ports fit. What an improvement to the cabin with the opening ports while at anchor. I think the cabin temperature below dropped 20 plus degrees from when I had fixed ports. The ports I used were also "on sale" at the time and cost around $500.00 for the four ports. I also re-bedded mine with butyl tape and they do not leak. Don't use black butyl tape it will stain your hull.
            Good luck,
            Paul

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 4, 2013
              Depending on which type you have, there are numerous options.
              Some have aluminum frames, some have plastic frames.

              There isn't much you can do with the plastic frame units. Once the bond is broken between the frame and glass(plexi) they're pretty much shot, and if the frame has cracks (typical) then they really are toast.
              For those, I would replace with surface mounted plexi and make some new interior trim. (Lots of prior threads on this, search the forum...)

              For the metal framed units, they can be disasembled and new lights installed. I've done a bunch of these, usually old glass ports where the glass has broken, delammed or yellowed around the edges. Replaced with tinted plexi. Remove the port, pry it apart at the seam, carefully flex it open and remove the glass. Cut new ones and insert them, bedded in 100% silicone. When that cures, reinstall.
              It's not all that hard. Plexi cuts with a simple jigsaw. Dress the edges with a belt sander, or sandpaper if you don't have a belt sander (buy a cheapo at Harbor Freight. They have cheap jigsaws too...)

              Replacing any suitable sized rectangular units with opening ports is really worthwhile, although not cheap. As someone mentioned, it's nice to have ventilation.

              Or, you can send your ports off to the companies that specialize in rebuilding them, but it is NOT cheap!
            • Paul Morf
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 4, 2013
                --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, Andres Espino wrote:
                >Can't believe that Andres is asking ME about anything dealing with boats....thnx for bosting my ego. 12 windows...that's a lot. When I replaced mine--only 6-- I made them larger than original so that I could mount them into new fiber glass. That was a good move. Then, I selected two to be portlights to help with ventillation...the remaining 4 I left as deadlights. I sent the old black plastic windo frames to Am. Marine in Fla with the request that they all be made 1"
                bigger around the outside. Total cost including mounting ran around
                $1800....and that was only 6 windows! Now, last summer I picked up 4 portlights from a salvage co. I had two installed back in July for a cost of $400 total. I suppose that witgh your experience, etc. you can save huge $$ by installing the replacements yourself. Good to hear from you. Paul, skipper of "Fresh Gail" out of Racine WI

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 5, 2013
                  My ports seem to have rubber compression rings like a car windshield,  The ring and lexan is installed in the hole like a windshield and then there is an aluminum ring that hammers into a groove around the outside of the rubber, and that expands the rubber out to make a solid seal.  I removed the aluminum rings to insert butyl tape under the edges of them all and then hammered the compression ring back in.  It seemed to seal them all.. but I would like to have improved portlights.

                  Andrew

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 5, 2013
                    Ha Ha  well I learned all I know from other people and I am still learning!  In here the people who have a Bucc are the experts.  I thinkl Phil is the Guru in here.  I am experienced from having built 3 previous boats.. but that is not really much help relating to my Buccaneer.

                    Here is my 1974 Bucc 240 on the trailer and you can see there are a BUNCH of portlights in that boat

                    Andrew

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 5, 2013
                      I would like to emphasize... Please contribute.  You as an owner of a Bayliner are the one with knowledge on your particular boat.. you know the problems your boat came with and the things you had to do to fix it.  While I have built wooden boats before from plans.. I have been depending heavily on advice from other Bucc 240 owners here in the group.

                      Some us us have been further inconvenienced by alterations or changes previous owners have done to our Buccaneer.. or damage they caused by neglect or improper maintenance.

                      To all of you who have answered me I want to express my sincere thqnks!  *=D&gt; applause  It is a tough thing to have a boat which is no longer made by the factory.  Our support comes from one another.

                      Thanks again,

                      Andrew

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 5, 2013
                        I mentioned in a previous post we who bought a Buccaneer may have been hindered or inconvenienced by unorthodox things previous owners have done to the boat.  My boat has had so many alterations I have given up noting them... seems like every time I get into something there is an exception to the original.  I will start with one example and describe things the prev owner had changed, my corrections and repairs and things i have added or changed as well.  However from the side my Bucc appears unaltered in lines or appearance except a few minor hings.

                        To begin with:
                        A previous owner had constructed a motor well in my boat just forward of the transom and flanked by a hold on either side.  I like the idea because some Columbia boats had that feature also.  the job was well done on my boat except the owner had failed to seal all the ply with resin and so dry rot set in over the years.. What Ii thought to be superficial repairs turned into more and deeper problems as I progressed. This is what I was faced with on buying the boat.

                        Port side stern

                        Starboard side stern

                        There is an OB in that well under what is left of that collapsed lid.  He had constructed it to be a seat and one can sit at that wheel helm like a riding mower.

                        Inside the cabin which was tightly closed in a Las Vegas RV lot for 11 years.. the sun and heat had ruined the cabinetry, headliner and paint.  I had to gut it completely and start over and I followed the Buccaneer floor plan shown on sailboat data here

                        http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=237

                        So far the following things have been altered on this boat...

                        • The cockpit cut off and shortened by 1/3
                        • A motor well and 2 flanking holds added
                        • The ,ast step changed and a 2in riser block put on the roof under the step..
                        • A maring head and holding tank was added aft of the fwd vee births.
                        • Construction of the rear transverse bed has been altered and reinforcements changed to be different.. hard to explain.
                        • More Thru hulls were added.. all plastic unfortunately so I have had to replace them with bronze below the water line..
                        • I had to rebuild all the electrical\
                        • I patched with fiberglass 2 small soft spots in the cabin floor.
                        • replaced the vinyl flooring.
                        • stripped and have painted most of the inside.  i opted to leave the ceiling only paint and no headliner.  It is carpeted up to the portlights.

                        In addition to repair of the above I have added a few things of my own.
                        • Installed a roof beam spanning the main bulkheads to support the mast step.  There are 2x2 compression posts on both bulkheads along the door passage.
                        • Rebuilt galley cabinet and has drawers and couout for stove.
                        • Replaced single sink with SS double RV sink
                        • Rebuilt dinette seats with storage and made a table which swings upward and secures to the underside of the handrail supports,  I can leave charts on the table and swing it up to sit and sleep on the day bed/sofa handy to the hatchway.
                        • Added closed cell foam to nooks and crannies.
                        • Adding 2 additional water tanks to increase range and act as ballast
                        • Added 2 more batteries for a total of 3 now besides th OB which is using a small mower battery of its own in the hold by the motor well.  That is kept up by a trickle from the Bank A mains.
                        • Installed instruments in the bulkhead,,,, Compass, Depthfinder, Inclinometer, Batt monitor gauge
                        • repainted non-slip areas.
                        • Replacing all stanchions and lifelines
                        • Rebuilt entry hatch to be sealable water tight instead of the former drop boards. I can secure it and enter and exit through tioe roof hatch alone like Roger Taylor does on mingming.  I can remove my sealed hatch in calm weather or in port.  In weather it tightens down with SS bolts and wingnuts against a rubber seal around the lip like a pressure cooker.
                        • Axillary steering made available in cabin if necessary..
                        • Built a roller furler... How To section of the group has info and ideas.
                        • rebedding all deck hardware.. incl dismantling and cleaning the winches.. had to replace broken plastic cleats.
                        still fixing things as I go.  I think I am 90% restored now. My pedestal is an EDSON and I finally got the manual for it.. needed because the owner had messed with the insides of that too  Have dismantled and greased and rebuilt the pedestal but it is not reinstalled yet.  I still have to replace the handrails and all the teak trim

                        Andrew

                      • bob.sparks@rocketmail.com
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 19, 2013
                          When and where is the tentative launch date?