swim platform

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 25, 2012
      Does anyone have or know where I can get an orginal swim platform for a buc 285. Failing that any suggestions for buliding or obtaining a substitute. It a long way from the water to the deck. Thx

      Mike
      Message 2 of 29 , Nov 25, 2012
        Most marine suppliers sell several designs which look good on any boat and are designed to accommodate any slope of transom.  Most mount easily with a few bolts much like a transom outboard bracket.  I chose a hook-over boarding ladder which I can hand over either side or stern of my smaller Bucc 240.

        Here are a few links whicyh I have listed I think best prices first.  I have ordered from all of them.

        C-ME MARINE

        Jamestown Distributors

        West Marine

        I have also found many dealers who sell in eBay stores on line so it is worth checking on eBay.  Yopu may also find a nice used platform there.

        Andrew

        Message 3 of 29 , Dec 1, 2012
          --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <simicmike@...> wrote:

          > Does anyone have or know where I can get an orginal swim platform for a buc 285. Failing that any suggestions for buliding or obtaining a substitute. It a long way from the water to the deck. Thx
          >
          > Mike

          Hi Mike, Andres, PCollins, et al. I've begun to have real concern about getting back aboard my 270 in the event of a man overboard deal...especially if I am the MOB since I mostly single hand on L. Mich.
          We all can see that it's 3' to 4' freeboard and retrieval is a huge problem even if the MOB is along side. Swim platform? Maybe. Climb up over the outboard engin? Duhhh! How about the swim/boarding ladder used when the boat is anchored in a swimming area? Fine, but...
          how likely is it that we/I use the ladder while underway in 15+ knt winds and waves 2+ feet? My thoughts, so far, run along these lines:
          A boarding ladder permanently enstalled on transom that can be folded UP when not needed and swung DOWN by the MOB in the water when needed. Seems that the MOB rescue ladder would have to extend 3'+ into the water, have treads of 3" to 4" wide and have a "stand off" configuration where the ladder ascends the transom. Anybody have suggestions/info about such an arrangement? Patiently awaiting your responses while I still have 6 months before I splash the boat in June
          Thnx. Paul, skipper of the Buc 270 "Fresh Gail" out of Racine, WI.
        • bob.sparks@rocketmail.com
          Message 4 of 29 , Dec 4, 2012
            I had a three telescoping step fold down ladder. It wasn't quit long enough so I added a permanent fixed step, the same distance as the rung span, above giving me four steps. I made that top step or rung nice and wide so it was easy to step on to going down for a swim.

            Bob

            --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Morf" <pmorf@...> wrote:

            > --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <simicmike@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Does anyone have or know where I can get an orginal swim platform for a buc 285. Failing that any suggestions for buliding or obtaining a substitute. It a long way from the water to the deck. Thx
            > >
            > > Mike
            > >
            > Hi Mike, Andres, PCollins, et al. I've begun to have real concern about getting back aboard my 270 in the event of a man overboard deal...especially if I am the MOB since I mostly single hand on L. Mich.
            > We all can see that it's 3' to 4' freeboard and retrieval is a huge problem even if the MOB is along side. Swim platform? Maybe. Climb up over the outboard engin? Duhhh! How about the swim/boarding ladder used when the boat is anchored in a swimming area? Fine, but...
            > how likely is it that we/I use the ladder while underway in 15+ knt winds and waves 2+ feet? My thoughts, so far, run along these lines:
            > A boarding ladder permanently enstalled on transom that can be folded UP when not needed and swung DOWN by the MOB in the water when needed. Seems that the MOB rescue ladder would have to extend 3'+ into the water, have treads of 3" to 4" wide and have a "stand off" configuration where the ladder ascends the transom. Anybody have suggestions/info about such an arrangement? Patiently awaiting your responses while I still have 6 months before I splash the boat in June
            > Thnx. Paul, skipper of the Buc 270 "Fresh Gail" out of Racine, WI.

          • mikemail
            Message 5 of 29 , Dec 4, 2012
              I bought a small teak folding seat like you see in the shower. It is big enough to use as a swim platform. Attached to the transom with blocks it stands off enough to leave room to put a folding 3 step ladder on it and fold the whole thing up. Mounted at the water line, a couple handle-steps more and you're in like Flynn.

              Sent from my BlackBerry® PlayBook™
              www.blackberry.com

              Message 6 of 29 , Dec 4, 2012
                There are many solutions similar to what you mentioned that have been around for years. First is a simple boarding ladder that folds up. That's all you really need, simple and effective. With all that free board plus stern rail, it can go down into the water quite far. No the treads are not wide, they have standoff legs.

                Or a folding and telescoping ladder, available up to 4 steps (my favorite - cost vs benefit ratio)

                There have been a couple of really neat solutions in the last couple of years - picture a telescoping ladder in a cubby, it slides out, then flips down and telescopes, all by the person in the water. Trick!

                I personally do not like stern mounted swim platforms. In severe weather waves stomp on them, at best if they hold they can wreak havoc on your attempts at boathandling. At worst, they get ripped right off and leave holes in the transom. Holes in the boat are bad, m'kay. Okay for lake boats, but never for anything exposed to tough conditions.

                Message 7 of 29 , Dec 4, 2012
                  A few seconds with Google:

                  Looks interesting-
                  http://www.up-n-out.com/boat-ladders/

                  Here's how a standard (or a telescoping) ladder would be mounted to be deep enough to climb on, out of the water when up, and deployable from in the water. The deployment line serves as the retrieval line after you board. -
                  http://media.photobucket.com/image/recent/RhythmDoctor/Sailboat%25202010/TransomLadder.jpg

                  http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/armstrong-nautical/boats-ladders-21809-195058.html

                  http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=13646&familyName=Garelick+Gull+Wing+Aluminum+Boarding+Ladder

                  Here the neatest thing -
                  http://www.garelick.com/Compact-Eez-In-II-Transom-Ladder
                  installed in a 'tube' that you mount into the hull.
                  It can be pulled out from the water and flips down and unfolds for boarding. Would take up very little space inside.

                  Message 8 of 29 , Dec 4, 2012
                    Message 9 of 29 , Dec 4, 2012
                      I agree with Phil's opinion about permanently mounted stern swim platforms.. at least on very small boats.

                      I have the 3 step ladder than hooks over the side of my 240 when needed  and these folks have quite a selection of ladders and platforms at reasonable pricres

                      BUT I also bought one of these recently from Duckworks... Really works well, stows in a seat locker, and a great buy at $17.50.  It's hard to make one any cheaper yourself.  It is also simple to fabricate extra rungs if one needs a longer ladder but as you can see the top rung hangs down quite a way.  It loops nicely around my side Winch on the 240 which feels more solid than my cleats.  I have pasted their article about it here with user criticisms.  It does move around some, but I found the ladder works fine for me if I pull myself up a couple rungs with my hands before trying to put my foot on it..

                      I see this as a secondary or backup ladder or first one if you cannot afford much like me.  ;) winking

                      BT-LAD: $17.50
                      Home Grown
                      ladder
                      In Jim Michalak's essay about capsizing, he stresses the need to have some way to reboard your boat when you end up in the water. He offers several suggestions, including a PVC ladder option, but notes that he does not trust the glued joints. This ladder solves that problem by being basically a rope ladder with pvc for the rungs.
                      It can be used in the same ways any boarding ladder would, but offers the additional convienence of folding into a small bundle.
                      These ladders are hand made for us by Big Thicket Elves and cannot be had anywhere else. They have three rungs and are 42 inches long.
                      Feedback:
                      Hi Folks,
                      ‘Rope Boarding Ladder’ BT-LAD; I had one. Different maker but the same configuration. Five Steps and good quality.
                      I hung it from a cleat, reachable from the water, ready to go. While on the mooring, I fell in and swam to the ladder, un-folded it and started to climb. I couldn’t do it. I couldn’t climb up. The ladder swung right and then left then under the boat. Four or five times I tried.
                      I got good and tired, rested, then swam to a nearby boat with a rigid metal ladder where I climbed out with ease.
                      I had a while to think about it till I got a ride back to my boat.
                      Had I been out at sea and not in the mooring field, you could call me chum.
                      I called the ladder a piece of junk and sold it on Ebay, with plenty of warning.
                      I would advise everyone to test themselves using this ladder before the needed it to save their life.
                      Just my two cents.
                      Best regards,
                      Gerry Boucher
                      Excellent advise, Gerry. We recommend that boaters test all safety equiptment before it is actually needed. Rope ladders can be tricky but the trade off is that they take up little space and are way better than nothing at all. Much depends on the type of boat and the person doing the reboarding - this is where testing comes in. Many lives have been saved by such devices but you do have to know how to use them.
                      Asked what the weight limit was on the ladder. well--bought ladder ,got wet ,ladder held 272, sure glad I had the ladder. nice ladder.

                      thanks jim

                    • Paul Morf
                      Message 10 of 29 , Dec 7, 2012
                        Hi Andres, PandD Collins, Mike, and others....Thanx to all you guys for your views/advice on boarding/MOB ladders. This is a terrific website/group. I've checked out the model #12868600, a rigid, 6 step boarding ladder from WMarine. It's advertised as a removable stern mounted ladder that folds up out of the water but can be lowered by the MOB when needed. All the single handing skipper (me) has to remember to do is to mount the ladder before leaving the slip and stowing it away at the end of the day....and then to remember to remount it again before heading out. Well, I'm going to W'Marine store next week, 12/13, to check it out. I'll report back. Thanks again for your interest, suggestions, etc. Paul, skipper of the Fresh Gail.

                        Message 11 of 29 , Dec 7, 2012
                          Please check whether C-ME Marine and Jamestown distributors also sell the same model.. as west seems to always have the highest prices.

                          I buy from Duckowks first then C-Me and then Jamestown and then West last resort

                          here are all the links in that order

                          http://www.duckworksbbs.com/

                          http://c-mesales.com/

                          Andrew

                          Message 12 of 29 , Dec 9, 2012
                            Add APS and Defender to your list along with Jamestown which is great.
                            But C-ME (never heard of them before) doesn't have any better pricing than WM, plus they have a really poor selection variety too. I'd skip them.

                            > Please check whether C-ME Marine and Jamestown distributors also sell the same model.. as west seems to always have the highest prices.
                            >
                            > I buy from Duckowks first then C-Me and then Jamestown and then West last resort
                          • simicmike
                            Message 13 of 29 , Dec 1, 2013
                              Has anyone made or bought an after market swim platform? I own a buc 285 and it would make swimming or a man overboard ressue sooo much easier/

                              Mike., Belleville. Canada
                            • Marc

                                Message 15 of 29 , Dec 8, 2013
                                  Dear Group Friends,

                                  Sorry to say I have not heard from Phil  *:(( crying

                                  However I have hopes to keep the group going.  There is a need because new people who buy or inquire about Buccaneers and US Yachts are looking for information and we have gathered a lot of stuff in group files and photo albums... owner's manuals, photos and rigging information and the like

                                  Please keep posting to the group because we all appreciate your experiences and ideas regarding the Bayliner Buccaneer boats.

                                  Thanks everyone!

                                  Andrew
                                • Bob Ingman
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Dec 8, 2013
                                     i think we`re just going through a period if transition. hang in there things will return to normal with the new boating season in the spring. take care. bob

                                    For a view of Southeast Alaska visit my gallery at
                                    http://northland.smugmug.com

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Dec 8, 2013
                                      Well I'm still here also!

                                      Marc-

                                      Bob you got to get your boat on dry land... How cold has it got this week up there? We got 8* last night.
                                      Marc-

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Dec 8, 2013

                                        Andrew,

                                        I haven't been terribly active on the site recently for personal reasons, now removed.  I own a Buc 285 in need of a lot of cosmetic work (now in Hampstead, NC) and I recently picked up a Buc 240 undergoing cosmetic restoration for less than the reasonable cost of the trailer (now in Cheyenne, WY).  I share Bob's sentiments and wish that you would consider taking over ownership of the group, if Phil no longer is interested.  I have read posts from a lot of good people needing help and it would be a shame to abandon them.  If Yahoo doesn't turn out to be the appropriate platform, I am sure that we could locate another platform.

                                        gts1544 - George Spettigue, Cheyenne, WY

                                      • charles
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Dec 9, 2013
                                          Thank you Andrew.

                                          > Dear Group Friends,
                                          >
                                          > Sorry to say I have not heard from Phil
                                          >
                                          > However I have hopes to keep the group going.  There is a need because new people who buy or inquire about Buccaneers and US Yachts are looking for information and we have gathered a lot of stuff in group files and photo albums... owner's manuals, photos and rigging information and the like
                                          >
                                          > Please keep posting to the group because we all appreciate your experiences and ideas regarding the Bayliner Buccaneer boats.
                                          >
                                          > Thanks everyone!
                                          >
                                          > Andrew

                                        • Jbc

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Dec 9, 2013
                                              Yes I'm still lurking.    Just got tied up with snow and holildays and such.   But I do have a questin on rigging.

                                              I "think" I have original stays with nonadjustable turnbuckles on my 240 (they only adjust on the bottom side and this make it almost impossiable to adjust once the mast is up as it just twists the stay when I do try and adjust underway)   the stays themself are in ecxellent shape but iIwould love to be able to adjust the turnbuckles  to tune my rigging.

                                              Does anyone know of a "screw in "replacement that would give me adjustment capibilities (top and bottom of the turnbuckle) without having to pressure fit new ones to the stays?

                                              Thanks all and happy holidays!

                                              ---In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, <spettigue@...> wrote:

                                              Andrew,

                                              I haven't been terribly active on the site recently for personal reasons, now removed.  I own a Buc 285 in need of a lot of cosmetic work (now in Hampstead, NC) and I recently picked up a Buc 240 undergoing cosmetic restoration for less than the reasonable cost of the trailer (now in Cheyenne, WY).  I share Bob's sentiments and wish that you would consider taking over ownership of the group, if Phil no longer is interested.  I have read posts from a lot of good people needing help and it would be a shame to abandon them.  If Yahoo doesn't turn out to be the appropriate platform, I am sure that we could locate another platform.

                                              gts1544 - George Spettigue, Cheyenne, WY

                                            • Jason Wong
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Dec 9, 2013
                                                I too am still lurking. We are at minus 10 and getting snowed on up here in Canada. Doing stuff indoors now and dreaming!

                                                Jason

                                                Sent from a device with a undersized keyboard and autocorrect, please excuse any typos!

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Dec 9, 2013
                                                  As the owner of a truly original 1976 '240', I can tell you that the factory provided adjustable turnbuckles on all 6 stays/shrouds. The method was such that once the mast was raised, you would adjust each stay to the appropriate tension by using a crescent wrench to hold the stay/stainless shroud wire in the notched slot just above the turnbuckle, and then insert a screw driver in the turnbuckle itself and turn to tighten/loosen.

                                                  The crescent wrench would keep the stay itself from turning....and the own
                                                  ers manual gives you guidelines as to the tension of each of the stays and the 'line-of-sight' way of assuring the mast remained in proper alignment. The site here has a good copy of the owners manual if you dont have one.

                                                  Hope that helps.

                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Dec 9, 2013
                                                    Thanks for a Great and really descriptive post!

                                                    I too own a vintage Buccaneer 240 year 1974.  Bayliner had some really good ideas and all their rigging and running gear was made to be easy for the new sailing family.

                                                    Some of us inherited Buccaneers which have been modified or otherwise altered by previous owners but the solidity of the Buccaneer h=ull still stands out.

                                                    Anyone wanting to know more about how to tension rigging and so on can find copies of thre owners and users manual for the Buccaneers in the group FILES section

                                                    Andrew

                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Dec 9, 2013

                                                      Dear Group,

                                                      I am still monitoring the group.

                                                      Life here just off the coast of Vancouver is really cold as winter has finally hit.

                                                      I am fixing a 20ft tear in my spinnaker and getting my Buccaneer 295 ready for the Bowen Island Yacht Club Polar Bear Race on January 1st ... hopefully the wind is something "reasonable" since I will be solo sailing in the race.  2 years ago it was 38 knots ... last year it was 3 so somewhere in between would be good.

                                                      Martin

                                                    • c670cj
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Dec 17, 2013

                                                        Vancouver and the Islands in the winter are like the proverbial 'box of chocolates....you never know what you're gonna get."

                                                        When the Fraiser Outflow gets to howling, there's no more dangerous weather in the world IMHO.

                                                        Be careful!

                                                        JBC

                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Dec 23, 2013
                                                          Dear Group, Andrew Here,

                                                          Wishing everyone a very Happy Holiday Season with my favorite animated Christmas card..

                                                        • charles
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Dec 24, 2013
                                                            Thank you Andrew. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

                                                            > Dear Group, Andrew Here,
                                                            >

                                                            > Wishing everyone a very Happy Holiday Season with my favorite animated Christmas card..
                                                            >
                                                            > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvDtkku5kdU

                                                          • mike126862003
                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Dec 24, 2013
                                                              Merry Christmas from the Great White North.