Re: Buccaneer 295 - Original portlights

  • sborglund@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 6 , May 25, 2009
      --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "kayakersailor" <kayakersailor@...> wrote:

      > I've removed my original window and replaced them with a surface pexiglass and trimed the inside with a plastic corner mold. I can post pictures if you want
      > JOhn

      I am not familiar with the 295 portlights. but the throught hull portlights on my 270 were replaced by the previous owner with a single strip of lexan 8' by 7" in the smoke color through bolted at each original portlight hole. Unfortunately when they were in sunlight they expanded to the point that they buckled between the individual portlights and cracked. I have just 2 weeks ago replaced them with a custom made single sheet of tempered smoke colored 3/16" glass using bronze anodized aluminum, (I would have prefered srainless) bathroom mirror rail, through bolted between each portlight top and bottom and on each end. I don't have any pictures yet nor have I sailed with them but they look good have room to expand and contract and using commercial grade silicone adhesive don,t leak. (even with a pressure washer.) Everything cost about $170. I am new to this forum but if anyone would like more info or knows of a problem with this solution. please e-mail me.
      Steve
    • Phil Collins
      Message 2 of 6 , May 26, 2009
        The trick for that is twofold.
        First the screw holes must be drilled oversize.
        Second the sealant (I prefer good old silicone) must be applied liberally, so it's thick enough to form a gasket that has some give to it.
        Thermal expansion won't break them then.
        Many boats are done this way, and the ports are good for the life of the plastic (10-15 years typically before UV kills them.)