Just bought a US Yacht 18

  • jbsailer
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 10, 2012
      Hi all! I am new to this group and new to owning a US 18. Got her for a good deal and she is in good shape overall. Although the transom is rotten so that will be my project for a while. Stringers and deck all are in great condition.

      She seems to be a narrow, light, and fast boat and i cannot wait to sail her.

      Two questions:
      1- It looks like the previouse owner glassed over the centerboard pivot pin, probably due to leaking. Is leaking common and what can i do to fix it?

      2- Any other US 18 owners out there? How does it sail? Tell me about the boat or your boat. Opinions needed please.

      Great to be on board!

      John
    • Jonathan
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 10, 2012
        I own a US 18 and while lots of people have PDFs of the original literature that came with the boat I have the originals plus the original bill of sale (even though I didn't get the boat until 2006).
        My centerboard cracked and I took it out to re-glass it. I've been working on it off and on for about 2 years and now am trying to figure out how to put it back in and get the boat back on the trailer. I'm about to move from central Alabama back to the Gulf Coast so I have to figure it out soon.
        Not sure why the pin was glassed over. Does it still pivot? I've never had any leaking problems but I suspect it could be they were afraid of the infamous incident where too many inexperienced sailors took out a US 18 and sank it.
        As for how it sails, I love it. It's small enough that it provides an intimate sailing experience. I also love the ability to ghost in it.

        Humans think they are smarter than dolphins because we build cars and buildings and start wars etc., and all that dolphins do is swim in the water, eat fish and play around. Dolphins believe that they are smarter for exactly the same reasons. -Douglas Adams

        Sent from my iPhone
      • John Bjorklund
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 10, 2012
          Thanks for the reply.

          I hope you can get it back in the water!  Good luck with the move.  I grew up in Pensacola, love the Gulf.

          The board pivots fine.  I want to cut it out just to make sure everything is intact.  Is there a gasket on the bolt to keep it water tight?

          My boat still has the original sails and they are in good shape, though the rainbow is a bit much.  Other boats will definitely see me coming!

          Do you, or did you have transom rot?  Seems like the manufacturer cut corners and did not glass the inside of the transom right where the water collects and drains.  All they covered the wood with is gel coat.

          I cannot wait to get her ready for the water!

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 11, 2012
            There is a bolt on the top holding it in with a cap over it. To take mine out I got in the cuddy hole facing aft and looked beneath the seats. The caulk holding on the cap came off readily (30 year old glue will do that), then I used a socket to remove the bolt. I expected a washer inside the centerboard well, but never saw one. Getting it back in will be the hard part. My boat is off the trailer leaning on the starboard side in my friend's barn. We used rachet straps to lift it up.

            I too have the original sails. Rainbows didn't mean anything in 1980, but still I love that they're not just white. My middle child sailed with me once as we came upon a sailing club's race and she said, "Daddy, their sails are all boring."

            Mine doesn't have any issues with the transom. Everything is tight there. The rudder rotted out and my uncle replaced it with a sheet of plywood he cut himself and glassed over. I'll probably re-do it next. It floats up out of the water while I sail. I suspect it has to do with the blunt edges of the plywood and a non-hydrodynamic shape. I don't know what you call the plate where a motor would attach, but that is the only "bad" spot on my boat (though I sometimes question the floor of the cuddy hole). I don't use a motor at all because it ruins the lines of the boat, it just looks ugly. This is the smallest boat I would want without a motor, and I may change my mind on that when I start sailing in Mobile Bay and/or the Gulf of Mexico instead of just Lake Logan Martin.

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 11, 2012
              --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, John Bjorklund <jbsailer@...> wrote:
              > I grew up in Pensacola, love the Gulf.

              Small world, I grew up there too. After Dad retired from the Navy we owned the KOA at Navarre. I grew up sailing there. As a teenager I would load camping gear and dog and sail my Hobie 16 as far as Dauphin Island or Panama city. That was of course before cell phones (mid 70s) I'd go for days and day, I used to get in so much trouble...

              > Seems like the manufacturer cut corners and did not glass the inside of the transom right where the water collects and drains.  All they covered the wood with is gel coat.

              That is very common, 30 years ago they believed polyester resin and gelcoat were impervious to moisture intrusion. Of course today we know better...

              Phil C
              Oregon USA
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 11, 2012

                --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "byrdmouse" <byrdmouse@...> wrote:
                >> I too have the original sails. Rainbows didn't mean anything in 1980, but still I love that they're not just white.

                I know I harp on this a lot, but...
                If you guys invest in new (or newer) sails, you will be astounded at how much better the boat sails.
                There is no such thing as a 30 year old sail that's still in good shape, unless it was stored, rolled carefully, for 25 of those years...
                Sails are the engine that drives the boat, it is the single best investment you can make for your sailboat.

                Just sayin...
              • Jonathan
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 12, 2012
                  You are correct and I agree, except my sails were properly stored inside for 28 years and the boat was only used sparingly before I got it. The boat itself was in bad shape having a tree growing in it, both leaf springs on the trailer broken, one board of the trailer rotted away, and every non-metal thing on the motor dry-rotted away. Other than the rudder and centerboard it was structurally solid.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 12, 2012
                    When I bought my 240 it came with all the gear and the sails were not the original but replaced and about 15 years old (they thought)  In any case the 3 jibs were packed in their sailbags and the main was  rolled and folded in half loosely once.  they too had been kept inside the owners garage on a dry shelf and look clean and bright like new.  In any case it is my plan to make the most of them until I have to replace everything.

                    I was luckier than you as my boat had been stored in RV storage lots most of its life and the trailer was good.  The hull is very sound and the original factory work is almost like new.  The previous owner had cut the cockpit shorter by 1/3 and made a motor-well in the stern flanked by a hold on either side.  he did a fine job of fitting and glassing the exterior, but did not seal that plywood on the inside with resin and so it had suffered a lot of dry rot.  The interior had heat damage from being shut tight in the hot sun so the cabinets were peeling and the paint flaking inside and in general I am doing a complete refurbishing of the cabin and fixing that motorwell section.

                    While I was replacing things i have beefed things up a little like replacing the wire rigging with the next larger size.. 3/16 instead of the original 1/8 (3mm)  I also added a roof beam and compression posts under the mast step because of the added forces induced by the stiffer rigging.  I found my Buccaneer came with white plastic thru hulls not the new mercon type either.  i guess they are nylon.. I don't like them and replaced the bottom ones with GROCO bronze types.  There are above waterline breather and bilge thru hulls and they are replaced with the newer nylon type.  i have redone all the plumbing and wiring.

                    there is a lot of How-To stuff in the group links section now in both articles and websites and also videos.

                    Good luck,

                    Andrew

                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 13, 2012
                      Ok, under closer inspection they are showing their age.  Some pin holes and the fabric seems weak.  I took them to a sail loft to get a repair quote and it will cost over $200.  I dont think they are worth it.

                      I have looked on the Bacon Sails website and they have great deals on used sails.  Anyone ever go through them?  Know of other used sail sites that have a good rep?

                      I cut open the transom last night and started chopping at the rot.  I am still itching this morning!  It is ugly but repairable.  Stringers are very solid.  I am very happy about that!