Re: [BaylinerBuccaneerGroup] 27 footer

  • stephen sack
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 9, 2012
      Hi Chip, I have a Buccaneer 272 which is our family boat and we love it.  Many people will have derogatory things to say (about any boat for that matter) but we love ours. You may want to check out the Facebook Bayliner Buccaneer group as well. I have many pictures and videos of my boat "Semper Fi" on this group site as well as on the facebook site. I firmly believe that a boat should fit it's owner AND an owner should fit his boat!

      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 10, 2012
        Tom

        I have been following this group for years. The most serious problem with the Bayliner (and other boats) is the balsa wood core rot. You want to check that. The outer hulls are thick then there is a balsa wood core then an inner hull. If the balsa wood core is shot then you can press you finger firmly on the inside say in the lockers under the bed, and it indents. Or maybe there is a depth sounder and you can see the core when you remove it.

        Google balsa core repair and ignore the miracle cures.

        Bob

        --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Chip .." <tfreking@...> wrote:

        > I have an opportunity to purchase a late 70's 27 foot Buccaneer. Is this a good boat and what should I be looking out for.Thanks :)Tom

      • Chip ..
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 10, 2012
          Thank you and I will do exactly that and thank you to the others for their thoughts as well. Nothing can compare to personal experience.

          To: BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com
          From: bob.sparks@...
          Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 20:28:45 +0000
          Subject: [BaylinerBuccaneerGroup] Re: 27 footer

          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 10, 2012
            You are welcome. I have a 24 and would not hesitate to upgrade to a 27 in good condition at a good price. I love the simplicity of trailering the stubby keel, the extra free board and head room. They were designed to get power boaters into sailing and they are good at it.

            Bob
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 10, 2012
              You know Bob,  I learned on grand banks dories as a boy in boy scouts, and when i look at the bottom lines of my Buccaneer 240 it looks very doryish to me.  relatively flat and it has rocker and in many ways resembles a Cape Dory with a stubby keel.  i think sailed like a sharpie or a dory it would likely take one almost anywhere if sailed conscientiously.

              Andrew

              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 15, 2012
                Hi Tom, just now saw your post and Q. If you've already bought the 27' Buc you'll be very happy. The only variable probably is the $$.
                Right now ALL yachts are dirt cheap. It's a buyer's market. Hope you got a good deal. My Buc 270, the sloop "Fresh Gail" [see photo album] has been my boat now for 23 years...I bought it in '87. I'm as happy now as the day I bought it. Honestly, I can't think of anything I've bought even in the last 6 months that I can say that about. Your boat and mine are now about 35+ years old. All I've ever done is repaint the intrerior, re-arranged the interior seating and that's about it. Structurally the boat, probably all of them, is still sound. Yes, I replaced all the windows about 10 years ago and replaced the forward hatch about 5 years ago....but things do wear out. Other than that, the Buc 270 is just like it was when it came from the factory. And, I sail in pretty challangeing waters....Lk. Michigan. To this day I still think that the boat is a better sailor than I am. Paul.

                --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Chip .." <tfreking@...> wrote:

                > I have an opportunity to purchase a late 70's 27 foot Buccaneer. Is this a good boat and what should I be looking out for.Thanks :)Tom
                >

                > Recent Activity:
                >

                > New Members
                > 3
                >

                > New Photos
                > 1
                >

                > Visit Your Group

                > .

              • Paul Morf
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 15, 2012
                  I Chip...I wrote back to but got the name wrong....I wrote to you as
                  "Tom"...We'll I see that I should have said, "Chip"...Well, anyway, my views on the Buc 270 are the same whether it's "Chip" or "Tom. See ya'....cap't Paul of the Fresh Gail.

                  --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Chip .." <tfreking@...> wrote:

                  > I have an opportunity to purchase a late 70's 27 foot Buccaneer. Is this a good boat and what should I be looking out for.Thanks :)Tom
                  >

                  > Recent Activity:
                  >

                  > New Members
                  > 3
                  >

                  > New Photos
                  > 1
                  >

                  > Visit Your Group

                  > .

                • Curtis Peredina
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 15, 2012
                    I too recently bought a 27 buc with an inboard. Wonderful boat for the beginner. Shallow draft and its forgiving and easy on the wallet...look it over carefully.

                    i sleep on it every weekend.

                    curt