Re: reefing

  • rpeter43
    Message 1 of 12 , May 12, 2009
      Mike, Here in TX (gulf coast), we have constant shore breezes that are usually in the 15 to 20 mph range. No! this isn't an "everything is bigger in Texas" story. With the mainsail reefed and a fairly small jib you will see the weather helm go away. In Feb. we got caught in winds of 45-46 mph. The helm could easily be steered with two fingers. We were jibing at 6 knots and the boat handled like a dream. These boats can and do surprise you with how well they handle. We had a great time. Don't get stupid in your decision making, but do not let a reasonable amount of wind keep you in port. One thing about reefing is that when experiencing substantial weather helm, the rudder acts like a brake. When reefed there is little change in speed. It is like having power steering in your car.
      Bob

      - In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "mtboat1" <mtboat1@...> wrote:

      > --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <mike.j.butler@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Dropping a sail might be ok for a quick trip out on the pond and back, but it's not adviseable for larger lakes and bays. Going forward to drop
      > > a headsail in 30 mph wind and waves can put your health at risk. A flapping flogging main will tear out a batten in a heartbeat.
      > >
      > > Prudent seamanship always says, sail a balanced boat, (jib & main) and
      > > reef or change sails before you need to......
      > >
      > > or be a bluebird sailor, even then weather can change.
      > >
      > Bluebird it is! This is a pretty big lake, 185 sq mi. and really windy at times. The highest wind I have been caught in was 15 knots, and I still get the shudders. Usually down wind with just the mainsail,.. solo, and wishing I didn't have everything I own onboard. I will talk to the sailmaker about reef points and see if I can swing a deal. Thanks all.

    • Mike
      Message 2 of 12 , May 13, 2009
        Repeter,
        Nothing new to me,..... because I'm in Fort Worth. This time of year all these cold fronts sweep down thru the DFW/North Texas area
        and then recede the next day or the day after. Sailing translation =

        15 to 25 from the NW until late afternoon when it drops to nothing,
        next day, 15 to 25 from the South. If I can't go sailing, I
        mow, weedeat & trim the bushes, then let mother nature clean up after me.