How does a 272 sail?

  • rpeter43
    Message 1 of 4 , May 12 9:50 PM
      HI!, new member and just acquired a 272. Curious as to how it will handle. I have a 23' Sovereign with no mast. Bought the Buck to use the mast and rigging. After reading and looking it over, I am reconsidering my plans. The boat needs a little fiberglass work an a paint job on the exterior. It does have an operating diesel an a few soft spots. The more I am around the Buc, the more I am leaning toward putting my efforts into restoring it. I spend alot of time sailing the Tx intracoastal and it should be more comfortable than the Sovereign.
      I am reading alot about restorations but not much on it's sailing abilietes and manners.
      Bob
    • john
      Message 2 of 4 , May 13 8:21 AM
        Bob,
        I had a 272 and it sailed great. I would sail her against my friends brand new Catalina 36 and constantly out sail him and light and breezy conditions. He was always amazed. (As was I!) Only reason I don't still have her is because I downsized to a Ranger 20.

        JohnO

        --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "rpeter43" <rpeter43@...> wrote:

        > HI!, new member and just acquired a 272. Curious as to how it will handle. I have a 23' Sovereign with no mast. Bought the Buck to use the mast and rigging. After reading and looking it over, I am reconsidering my plans. The boat needs a little fiberglass work an a paint job on the exterior. It does have an operating diesel an a few soft spots. The more I am around the Buc, the more I am leaning toward putting my efforts into restoring it. I spend alot of time sailing the Tx intracoastal and it should be more comfortable than the Sovereign.
        > I am reading alot about restorations but not much on it's sailing abilietes and manners.
        > Bob

      • Gary
        Message 3 of 4 , May 13 8:43 AM
          Bob
           Where are you located?
          Gary

          I had a 272 and it sailed great. I would sail her against my friends brand new Catalina 36 and constantly out sail him and light and breezy conditions. He was always amazed. (As was I!) Only reason I don't still have her is because I downsized to a Ranger 20.

          JohnO

          --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGr oup@yahoogroups. com, "rpeter43" <rpeter43@.. .> wrote:

          > HI!, new member and just acquired a 272. Curious as to how it will handle. I have a 23' Sovereign with no mast. Bought the Buck to use the mast and rigging. After reading and looking it over, I am reconsidering my plans. The boat needs a little fiberglass work an a paint job on the exterior. It does have an operating diesel an a few soft spots. The more I am around the Buc, the more I am leaning toward putting my efforts into restoring it. I spend alot of time sailing the Tx intracoastal and it should be more comfortable than the Sovereign.
          > I am reading alot about restorations but not much on it's sailing abilietes and manners.
          > Bob

        • rpeter43
          Message 4 of 4 , May 15 9:34 AM
            Gary,
            I'm located on N. Padre Island(Corpus Christi. TX) I live on a canal on the back side of the island, near the JFK bridge.