Parts bits and pieces available

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 28, 2012
      Ahoy All,
      It has come down to the point that this beast('74 Bucc 240) that I wanted to fix up is just not worth throwing good money after bad, and I have decided to part her out and try to salvage what I can out of her.
      I am going to sell what I don't think I'm going to use on any future projects so if any of you are needing anything let me know and I'll see what I got and I'm sure we can make a deal.
      I am located in the Portland, Oregon area.
      Some of the items I have are,
      bow and stern pulpits
      mast and boom
      a spinnaker that came with the boat (not sure if it is factory issue or not)
      all standing rigging.(seemed to be in fair shape when I took it off the boat, all pieces coiled and labled)
      That's all the big stuff, there is much more available, like I said let me know what you need and I'll see what I got.

      Mark
    • charles
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 29, 2012
        Hey Mark,
        Sorry your not going to restore her. I would like a Lewmar number 7 winch if you have it. I need the entire winch. Mine broke off at the base as is the usual. I won't need the bolts. Please let me know. Thanks,
        Charlie

        --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <mtbn_97004@...> wrote:

        > Ahoy All,
        > It has come down to the point that this beast('74 Bucc 240) that I wanted to fix up is just not worth throwing good money after bad, and I have decided to part her out and try to salvage what I can out of her.
        > I am going to sell what I don't think I'm going to use on any future projects so if any of you are needing anything let me know and I'll see what I got and I'm sure we can make a deal.
        > I am located in the Portland, Oregon area.
        > Some of the items I have are,
        > bow and stern pulpits
        > mast and boom
        > a spinnaker that came with the boat (not sure if it is factory issue or not)
        > all standing rigging.(seemed to be in fair shape when I took it off the boat, all pieces coiled and labled)
        > That's all the big stuff, there is much more available, like I said let me know what you need and I'll see what I got.
        >
        > Mark

      • Mark
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 29, 2012
          Charlie,
          Sorry, no Lewmars, the winches are Barlow 16's and I am going to hang on to those for another project I am planning.
          Sorry I couln't help
          Mark

          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 29, 2012
            Check ebay, there's a few 7s and a pair of 8s listed currently.

            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 30, 2012
              "the usual"? Never heard of this happening before.
              If it breaks like that, it's undersized for the loads...

              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 30, 2012
                I never owned a fukll keel boat before this Buccaneer.  I detect water down in my keel which had never dried out from when rain entered the boat in the past.   I want to drain it but I don't know where or how to drill out a drain plug on a 240...Can anyone give some exact instructions whether to drill in from the aft edge or from the bottom along the side and at what angle and how deep?    I will want to plug it with a glass reinforced resin plug when I am done.

                Has anyione done it to their 240 before?  Can someone offer advice?  I know 240 keels can be fragile in some places and I think a 270 keel is different from a 240 also.

                Andrew

              • Chuck
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 31, 2012
                  Andrew,

                  About every two years some mishap fills my keel with water. I just drill a 1/2 inch hole in the back of the keel when I pull the boat in the fall. I put a picture in my album bucc 240. It's been draining since last October and is still dripping a little. Don't forget to fix the hole before splashing the boat in the Spring!!!!

                  Chuck

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 31, 2012
                    Thanks Chuck!  I will look at your picture.

                    I intend to force air down in the top to help with drying it also.. what do you think of that?  I can't see that it would hurt.  I will leave the air compressor regulator set low and let it send some air down in there.

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 31, 2012
                      Ahhh   I see you drilled in from the side and not the rear edge.  Do you have any special instructions for plugging the hole or just use the resin with chopped fiberglass filler?  Obviously touch up with bottom paint...

                      My last boat was a plywood sharpie with a solid 490# swing keel.  With that boat I had constant repair of the CB trunk against developing leaks  LOL

                      Andrew

                      About every two years some mishap fills my keel with water. I just drill a 1/2 inch hole in the back of the keel when I pull the boat in the fall. I put a picture in my album bucc 240. It's been draining since last October and is still dripping a little. Don't forget to fix the hole before splashing the boat in the Spring!!!!

                      Chuck

                      > I never owned a fukll keel boat before this Buccaneer.  I detect water down in my keel which had never dried out from when rain entered the boat in the past.   I want to drain it but I don't know where or how to drill out a drain plug on a 240...Can anyone give some exact instructions whether to drill in from the aft edge or from the bottom along the side and at what angle and how deep?    I will want to plug it with a glass reinforced resin plug when I am done.
                      >
                      > Has anyione done it to their 240 before?  Can someone offer advice?  I know 240 keels can be fragile in some places and I think a 270 keel is different from a 240 also.
                      >
                      > Andrew

                    • Chuck
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 1, 2012
                        I bevel the outside of the hole with a big counter sink and clean and dry with acetone. Then drive a tight fitting wooden plug to the bottom of the hole. Sometimes I'll soak cotton balls in resin and pack them in the hole. Take thickened resin to fill in the bevel and top of the hole. Cover with duct tape until the resin sets up. Usually doesn't need much if any sanding when the tape comes off. I've probably done this 4-5 times and haven't lost a plug yet. For peace of mind you could epoxy a couple layers of glass over the plug.

                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 2, 2012
                          Cool and thanks I was thinking of beveling the hole myself.

                          Rain had gotten into the boat several times before I bought it and water was 1 ft deep on the floor when I picked it up.  I drilled a 1/2 inch hole according to your pic and water poured out for almost 2 hours.  I knew it was full because the floor right over the keel felt soft to step on it.  It is still dripping slowly after 2 days.  I may have to look around to find a countersink that big,  I keep finding things I need to fix.

                          Andrew

                          I bevel the outside of the hole with a big counter sink and clean and dry with acetone. Then drive a tight fitting wooden plug to the bottom of the hole. Sometimes I'll soak cotton balls in resin and pack them in the hole. Take thickened resin to fill in the bevel and top of the hole. Cover with duct tape until the resin sets up. Usually doesn't need much if any sanding when the tape comes off. I've probably done this 4-5 times and haven't lost a plug yet. For peace of mind you could epoxy a couple layers of glass over the plug.

                          > Ahhh   I see you drilled in from the side and not the rear edge.  Do you have any special instructions for plugging the hole or just use the resin with chopped fiberglass filler?  Obviously touch up with bottom paint...
                          >
                          > My last boat was a plywood sharpie with a solid 490# swing keel.  With that boat I had constant repair of the CB trunk against developing leaks  LOL
                          >

                          > Andrew
                          >

                          > ________________________________

                        • hummed46
                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 5, 2012
                            Hey Mark,

                            I have a bucc 200. Any chance that stern pulpit might fit mine? I lack a pulpit right now and Im after one...I have an 8' beam. What's the measurement on the width of your pulpit? I'm also looking for an anchor roller for a 13# danforth. If you've got either of those two, or a stern light or steaming light for the mast, drop me an email at matthew.hummer@....

                            Thanks!
                            Matt

                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 6, 2012
                              There is a very good chance it will fit without any alteration... according to sailboat data

                              "The hull for the BUCCANEER 200, 210, 240, and 245 all derive from a mold(s) 'splashed' from a COLUMBIA 23T. (Thanks to Craig Montague for supplying background information on these yachts.)"

                              I also have a 240 and can give you specific measurements between stanchions on the stern railing assembly.  It attaches to the outer side deck on either side and and atop the stern in 2 positions.

                              Your boat will not be 8ft beam except in the middle.  The stern is closer to 6 feet.

                              The railing will absolutely fit.  The worst that can happen is you may have to hacksaw off an inch or so of the center tubing.. no problem they all go on in sections and are secured with Allen type set screws.  The stanchions are secured with stainless bolts through the deck.  I added backing plates of 1/2 plywood to beef mine up.

                              Andrew

                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 11 11:56 PM
                                Chuck..

                                I don;t remember if i ever thanked you but I followed your drill a half in hole plan also following your picture and water drained out of my 240 for almost 3 days!  We are very dry in AZ so it stopped dripping and dried out nicely a few days after that.

                                When it dried completely my cabin sole developed a spongy spot at the foot of the ladder which i reinforced with resin.  Had to take up some of the vinyl flooring I had installed previously.

                                Wanted to say 'thanks again'

                                Andrew

                                About every two years some mishap fills my keel with water. I just drill a 1/2 inch hole in the back of the keel when I pull the boat in the fall. I put a picture in my album bucc 240. It's been draining since last October and is still dripping a little. Don't forget to fix the hole before splashing the boat in the Spring!!!!

                                Chuck

                                > I never owned a fukll keel boat before this Buccaneer.  I detect water down in my keel which had never dried out from when rain entered the boat in the past.   I want to drain it but I don't know where or how to drill out a drain plug on a 240...Can anyone give some exact instructions whether to drill in from the aft edge or from the bottom along the side and at what angle and how deep?    I will want to plug it with a glass reinforced resin plug when I am done.
                                >
                                > Has anyione done it to their 240 before?  Can someone offer advice?  I know 240 keels can be fragile in some places and I think a 270 keel is different from a 240 also.
                                >
                                > Andrew

                              • Chuck
                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 12 5:42 PM
                                  Andrew,
                                  Glad it worked out for you. It's never easy to drill a hole in the bottom of your boat. Mine was still dripping this spring. I dried it with acetone and plugged it. Always worry I might forget.

                                  Chuck
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 12 11:10 PM
                                    Our humidity is about +2% right now here here in Arizona and we are in drought conditions with serious wildfire warnings in effect.  The winter was mild and we have had 90 degree weather twice this early spring.  All this helped me to dry out my keel.  it is not dripping now for some days and I have not plugged it yet but I bought the hardwood dowel to do it.

                                    I was surprised to discover the keel was simply covered over a framework and glassed.  I expected it to be largely solid except for a cavity to hold the weight.  It appears to be less substantial than bolt-on keels I have seen like that on the Cal 20, but I suppose it is adequate.  I wouldn't want to run the keel on any hard object like a reef tho.. I don't think it would take it.

                                    Basically I am happy with the construction of the 240 and  it compares closely with its Columbia trailer cousin.  The 200 series Buccaneers came from Alan Payne's Columbia designs and i have always regarded Alan Payne as a good designer.  Bob Neck & Clark Scarboro designed the 270.  I read somewhere that during the 1970's and 1980's the 240 and 270 were the two most popular Buccaneer family boats and both were well liked by folks who owned them.  They were not fast boats and derogatorily called "Winnebagos of the water'.. fine by me I am in no hurry.  The 240 has an amazing amount of interior space in 24 feet.

                                    When it comes to holes I am a little apprehensive about having to drill one forward of the keel for the transducer... tho the instructions came with details about filling the inside around the hole to seal the coring.  I have everything to do it but I have to remove the water tank under the vee birth to get to the spot.  I have a larger tank to go back in the space and there is barely room to fit it and It will extend back all the way to the small access door.

                                    Tho I have built 3 wooden boats in my life before, this is the first factory boat I have ever owned.. so I am learning by doing as I go along.

                                    I am interested to hear anything about your 240 and what you think of her and any things that may have come up with your boat.

                                    Thanks,

                                    Andrew

                                    Glad it worked out for you. It's never easy to drill a hole in the bottom of your boat. Mine was still dripping this spring. I dried it with acetone and plugged it. Always worry I might forget.

                                    Chuck

                                  • smshield28
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Apr 13 10:34 AM
                                      Still have the spinny?

                                      email me sshields@... if you do. Thanks! - S
                                    • bob.sparks@rocketmail.com
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Apr 14 6:56 AM
                                        I was surprised too how thin the keel is. I suppose when it came from the factory and the foam filling was firmer it was better. There was a lot of photos about a guy in the group whose keel was totally mangled. I grounded on rocks a couple of times last summer trying to get in to a fishing spot. The good news is the foam does still retard the water intrusion. and I believe there must be a layer of glass sealing off the keel cavity from the cabin. I too drilled a hole to drain the water but I will not repair it with a dowel as I want a completely smooth finish so there is nothing to catch on in case of another grounding. I plan to put another couple of layers of glass mat over the leading edge of the keel where I can see there has been abuse over the years. Canoeists put a kevlar strip over their keels I wonder if such a kit is available for sail boaters?

                                        Bob

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Apr 15 4:13 PM
                                          I did it with dowel and made a completely smooth finish.  i sanded the dowel until it was snug but a good fit..  cut a 2.5" short piece of dowel and coated it with resin and pounded it home with another dowel on top sinking it flush with the other wood frame.  Then I ground a bevel and filled it with epoxy and glass filler slightly above the surface and then sanded it flush.  Dabbed on a little gel coat I had and when all cured patched it with leftover bottom paint.  You cannot even see it.

                                          I noted a location from bottom and stern so I can redrill in the same place if need be.

                                          Andrew

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Apr 17 10:45 PM
                                            Hello Folks,

                                            This might be helpful to someone...

                                            Since the DAVIS sextant is the most popular low cost backup to the GPS, I have added the LINKS for DAVIS manuals to the Links section which also include instructions for recalibrating yourself (it's easy).  I [personally have both the Mark 3 and Mark 25

                                            Mark 15 & 25 Sextants User's Guide
                                            Owners Manual with instructions how to use and even recalibrate yourself
                                            http://www.davisnet.com/product_documents/marine/manuals/00026-710_IM_00025.pdf
                                            ima_very_coo...
                                            Offline
                                            Edit  Delete  Cut
                                            Mark 3 Sextant Manual
                                            Owners Manual with instructions how to use and even recalibrate yourself
                                            http://www.davisnet.com/product_documents/marine/manuals/00011-220_IM_00011.PDF
                                            ima_very_coo...
                                            Offline

                                            Regards,